New Ontario Blue Licence Plates- Your Opinion? | Page 11 | GTAMotorcycle.com

New Ontario Blue Licence Plates- Your Opinion?

Do you like the new Blue Ontario Licence plates?

• Total voters
I was actually at Service Ontario yesterday.

They are still issuing the “old” plates with the original “Yours To Discover” .

The lady said that they should have the new “fixed” plates soon. A few weeks is the best guesstimate. She did not indicate what they would look like or what version of the new plate they would be.

There is no “fixed” blue version. They’re all the same. It’s just the angle and certain lighting conditions that’s causing the issue.

Reports are they’re abandoning the blue design and going back to white. Remains to be seen if they’re returning to the old manufacturing process as well (stamped 3D) or are going to just stick a white decal over the new style flat ones.
Report said it wouldn't be raised due to paint peeling issues. My front plate has pretty much peeled off.

Report said it wouldn't be raised due to paint peeling issues. My front plate has pretty much peeled off.
Read the same re raised. Those peeling plates you have were a bad batch. MTO replaces them for free within 5 yrs of issue.

Read the same re raised. Those peeling plates you have were a bad batch. MTO replaces them for free within 5 yrs of issue.
Arent the plates the property of the MTO and must be returned upon request? They can pay to replace their defective crap. Arbitrary five year limit makes no sense.

Arent the plates the property of the MTO and must be returned upon request? They can pay to replace their defective crap. Arbitrary five year limit makes no sense.
It's govt. Not supposed to make sense.

Manufacturer’s warranty
Ontario licence plates are guaranteed by the manufacturer for up to five years from the date of purchase.

ServiceOntario will replace licence plates at no charge that are deemed to be defective if they are returned to a ServiceOntario Centre within 5 years of the purchase date. Otherwise, a $59 replacement fee would apply.

Until you get the ticket. The pricks are ticketing their own failure. Probably get dropped in court once you showed they had been replaced.
Screw them, I'll make a big stink in court just to waste everyone's time. Might as well get my moneys worth.

Not true on the 5 year part

My plates are BDCK *** and are still covered under warranty. They were issued in 2008ish if I remember correctly.

Not true on the 5 year part

My plates are BDCK *** and are still covered under warranty. They were issued in 2008ish if I remember correctly.
Not true? I suppose not. I got the info from the MTO webite.

I was quite surprised as well when they told me that it was still under warranty.
I too thought it was 5 years

However they could not tell me how much warranty I have left.

Lady said when they receive the memo hat this batch is no longer under warranty

Seems like a Mickey Mouse System

they replace them for free outside of the the 5 years. Source: I work at a dealership, they just replaced a guests 7 year old plates no questions asked.

Haha. Plates axed for good. "Under very specific lighting conditions, stakeholders identified visibility conerns". Yah. Like when it's dark. They have 145,000 plates in stock because they fired up production prior to testing.

They are contemplating using them on trailers which is actually not a bad plan. Replaced very infrequently, used at night less and very rarely used to document on-road infractions.
What about recreational vehicles? Like ATVs and the like? Those are rarely used at night. Although one guy on our street likes to drive this side-by-side on the street in the evenings. The thing hasn't seen a spec of dirt yet.

What about recreational vehicles? Like ATVs and the like? Those are rarely used at night. Although one guy on our street likes to drive this side-by-side on the street in the evenings. The thing hasn't seen a spec of dirt yet.
They are just a bit big for most off-road vehicles as most were designed with small plates in mind. Not an insurmountable problem obviously.

Trailer plates is actually not a half bad idea. Most trailers sit 99.99% of the year.

Looks like I might still be able to get a set of these for collectors items after all if they decide to do this. I missed the boat buying a set while they were actually available originally.

Back
Top Bottom