New helmet questions | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

New helmet questions

I've been using a Shoei GT-Air for the past few seasons and like it very much. Time for a helmet update this year though.
I've always wanted to try on a RPHA's... they look nice.

hmm.. can't remember if this comes with the fighter style built in tinted visor or not. I'll find out when I pick it up.

hmm.. can't remember if this comes with the fighter style built in tinted visor or not. I'll find out when I pick it up.

No, the RPHA 11 is not equipped with an internal drop down visor. And that's a good thing.

I have read that the RPHA's are louder than the Shoei GT-Air's when moving at speed. Has anyone here ridden with both?

I have read that the RPHA's are louder than the Shoei GT-Air's when moving at speed. Has anyone here ridden with both?
The RPHA 70 ST is the direct competitor to the Shoei GT-Air (dropdown visor, etc). I've got one of each (the original GT-Air, not the new GT-Air II). The Shoei's neck roll is really thick and plush and seals against your neck very well, so as I recall it is quieter than the RPHA. But it's not so much better that I would be willing to go without earplugs in the Shoei or anything like that.

The padding in the Shoei wins hands down, but I prefer the central placement of the main visor latch on the RPHA, and the slider for the dropdown visor is also easier to find on the RPHA. It's also quite a bit cheaper. Unfortunately, both helmets have a rather round internal shape and have never really fit my head very well.

The RPHA 70 ST is the direct competitor to the Shoei GT-Air (dropdown visor, etc). I've got one of each (the original GT-Air, not the new GT-Air II). The Shoei's neck roll is really thick and plush and seals against your neck very well, so as I recall it is quieter than the RPHA. But it's not so much better that I would be willing to go without earplugs in the Shoei or anything like that.

The padding in the Shoei wins hands down, but I prefer the central placement of the main visor latch on the RPHA, and the slider for the dropdown visor is also easier to find on the RPHA. It's also quite a bit cheaper. Unfortunately, both helmets have a rather round internal shape and have never really fit my head very well.
Awesome - thanks for the info - very helpful!
I have the original GT Air as well and really like it. I have read somewhere that it's a pretty heavy helmet compared to others, but even on multiple long days on the bike, I never found it an issue. I also wear earplugs with my GT Air and would wear them with any helmet - I figure that any extra wind noise can be mildly draining on long days.

It's less about the money and more about the fit and function for me.

Awesome - thanks for the info - very helpful!
I have the original GT Air as well and really like it. I have read somewhere that it's a pretty heavy helmet compared to others, but even on multiple long days on the bike, I never found it an issue. I also wear earplugs with my GT Air and would wear them with any helmet - I figure that any extra wind noise can be mildly draining on long days.

It's less about the money and more about the fit and function for me.

I've never found weight on a street helmet to be a big issue either, but for what it's worth the RPHA 70 ST is definitely lighter than the GT-Air. On my scale, the GT-Air is 1642g and the RPHA is 1591g (and the RPHA currently has a bluetooth intercom installed on it, which allegedly weighs 21g all by itself).

There's a carbon fiber version of the 70 ST but its only DOT rated. I wonder if its because of certification cost or because of the 70 ST line due for a refresh or a combination of the two. I would definitely be willing to buy another 70 ST when its time if there is nothing better by then. Coming up on the 5 year manufacturer date (and almost 100,000km worth of sweat).

meh.. Wife has the drop down visor and likes it. I've always worn sunglasses with my lid. Guess I will continue to do that.

meh.. Wife has the drop down visor and likes it. I've always worn sunglasses with my lid. Guess I will continue to do that.
drop down visor is handy, last 2 lids had it. glasses work fine if you have a place to stow them.

Stow them? It's summer I'll be wearing them.

ok you got me. I carry a pair of clear glasses in a sock in my pocket and swap them near dusk if need be. Actually the Squeeze can perform this for me from her pillion perch at speed.

Front breast pocket of the jacket works for me.
i don't like putting things in places next to my core that could end up inside me if the worst happens (my glasses are usually titanium).

plenty of space under the seat!

i don't like putting things in places next to my core that could end up inside me if the worst happens (my glasses are usually titanium).

plenty of space under the seat!
Fair enough. I use plastic frames on a bike and they lay across my ribs so I am not too concerned in a crash, they will just deform (and are outside of the protective layer). For things like keys, I am with you, I don't want them on my body.

Just a heads up that both the RPHA 70 and RPHA 11 only get a three star SHARP rating, with the RPHA 11 getting a 'black' score for left side impacts, which is the worst possible:

HJC RPHA 11 - SHARP

HJC RPHA 70 - SHARP

Interestingly, the HJC C70, a much cheaper poly helmet, is one of the very few five star helmets with an integrated sun visor:

HJC C70 - SHARP

It is heavier (1.6 kg vs 1.4 kg for the RPHA 70 and 1.3 kg for the RPHA 11), and won't have the premium liner and build quality. But it's interesting that added cost =/= more safety with some brands...

But it's interesting that added cost =/= more safety with some brands...
That has long been the case. More money often gets you better looking, lighter, quieter, removable liner etc but rarely is the extra money related to safety. Some Arai helmets have failed DOT performance testing before (on actual performance, not just labelling).

Back
Top Bottom