Motorcycle Safety Certificate Checklist (Ontario)? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Motorcycle Safety Certificate Checklist (Ontario)?

You would be surprised with what technically passes. This is why some techs will pass vehicles easier than others. Most techs add in a little bit of common sense and even though something can pass by the book they will still fail it because in reality is unsafe.

Let common sense prevail - if the bike needs work get it done BEFORE you take it in for the safety.
No self-respecting tech is going to put his licence (and the shop's) on the line.
There were people out there writing dirty safeties and they had their tickets pulled - rightfully so.

Edit: If the repairs are completed within 36 days, by anyone, the shop cannot charge to reinspect the vehicle, though some do.
Edit2: The shop's cost is $5.1 per safety form.
20 years ago when I was still an apprentice a book of 10 safety certificates cost $125 so $12.50 each and you had to pick them up in person in St. Catherines.

20 years ago when I was still an apprentice a book of 10 safety certificates cost $125 so $12.50 each and you had to pick them up in person in St. Catherines.

It's 20/book, costing $102/book now. Can order by mail, but no online ordering yet.

You would be surprised with what technically passes. This is why some techs will pass vehicles easier than others. Most techs add in a little bit of common sense and even though something can pass by the book they will still fail it because in reality is unsafe.

This is very much a grey area. Not sure how the ministry would appreciate vehicles being failed because of "common sense", when they pass the safety regulations.

I've waived the safety fee a couple times on vehicles where I didn't feel comfortable signing the safety, though they technically passed regulations.

A missing valve cap will not pass a safety but now that you are no longer allowed to touch a vehicle to inspect for holes, a frame rail or floor can be rotted through but if the rust is still on and a hole is not visible it’s a pass. I’ll stick with not signing when I feel something is unsafe whether or not the book says it’s passable. Guess it’s a good thing I work for a fleet.

A missing valve cap will not pass a safety but now that you are no longer allowed to touch a vehicle to inspect for holes, a frame rail or floor can be rotted through but if the rust is still on and a hole is not visible it’s a pass. I’ll stick with not signing when I feel something is unsafe whether or not the book says it’s passable. Guess it’s a good thing I work for a fleet.

Not sure where you get that from. This is one area where the regulations allow a fair amount of common sense from the tech.

Directly from the regulations, Under 5. Frame, Rails and Mounts, reject if:
  • - rusted or corroded to a depth sufficient
    to become weakened
Also nothing about valve caps. On tire valves, reject if:
  1. b)
  2. - cracked, damaged, leaking or
    inaccessible
  3. - prevents measurement of tire pressure
  4. - prevents inflation or deflation of tire

It's 20/book, costing $102/book now. Can order by mail, but no online ordering yet.
Well son of a gun. Who would have something from the government would have dropped in price over the years?

Question guys, I just restored an old 74 MT250 honda, how many and what positions do I need for the reflectors, this is the only thing Im unsure about safety wise. Obviously 1 on each side ? But do I need them Front and back (as in 4)? do I need a reflector facing forward AND back as well ? making 6 altogether ? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,
i just got a suzuki RV90, that s street legal, and plan to get it back on the road. my issue is that the tires on it said not for highway use (Not DOT approved). I read that this is a US regulation, how is it in canada, can i got through safety check with these kind of tires ?

Thanks !

From the Ontario regulations, Law Document English View:

(g) no vehicle shall be fitted with a tire that,

(i) bears the wording “not for highway use”, “farm use only”, “competition circuit use only” or any other wording or lettering indicating that the tire was not designed for highway use, or

(ii) bears the letters “SL”, “NHS” or “TG” after the tire designation.

Hi,
i just got a suzuki RV90, that s street legal, and plan to get it back on the road. my issue is that the tires on it said not for highway use (Not DOT approved). I read that this is a US regulation, how is it in canada, can i got through safety check with these kind of tires ?

Thanks !
Maybe sand that part off :LOL:

Somebody missed a big part :unsure:
"
LIGHTING

6. (1) Prescribed lamps and reflectors shall be inspected and tested and,
(a) each circuit shall light the filaments of all lamps on the circuit when the appropriate switch is in the “ON” position, and each indicator lamp shall indicate correctly;
(b) the operation of any lighting circuit shall not interfere with the operation of any other circuit;
(c) each lens and reflex reflector shall be correctly installed and shall not be discoloured or missing in whole or in part;
(d) each lamp and reflector shall be securely mounted on the vehicle and none shall be missing;
"

Back
Top Bottom