Motorcycle Safety Certificate Checklist (Ontario)? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Motorcycle Safety Certificate Checklist (Ontario)?

dualheadlamps

Hello fellow GTA riders. Been off two wheels on the street for a very long time, finally turned 30 and got "Ontario good" rates on my types of bikes if you know what I mean. ;)

Just got my new (to me) bike legal on the road. Got my plates and 10 day temporary T sticker from MTO. Want to get my Ontario safety done so I can get my proper sticker when the time comes. Yes, I know the COVID situation exemption technically extends my T plate beyond the 10 days.

I do all my work myself so might as well get cracking.

What's involved with an Ontario motorcycle safety? Last time I did one was was on my first bike over a decade ago, and the bike was brand new so wasn't a worry.

I am familiar with the automotive one as I have had many auto safeties done but can't recall what's involved with the bike safety.

Do they use the same form?

Can any shop that does auto safeties do bike safeties?

Anyone have a copy of a bike safety so I can see the list?

Please spare me the "well go take the bike in and find out what it needs" schpeel. I do all my work myself so don't want to pay the shop for the work or twice for the safety.

My bike is an old janky basket case. Want to get all the certificate's requirements done to just go and get the certificate and sticker so I don't get hassled by the police.

I've driven with many a T plates over the years, yes, you stick out like a sore thumb, and yes you get pulled over. Especially with an "interesting" vehicle. My colourful and loud superbike is going to be no different, probably worse. Responsible driver with clean record, so again, save me the schpeel.

Merci in advance!

Last edited:
Make sure everything on your bike is working, lights, brake lamp, turn signals, horn. check that the brake pads are not worn out and tires are in good shape and not on the wear bars. Thats basically it

Make sure everything on your bike is working, lights, brake lamp, turn signals, horn. check that the brake pads are not worn out and tires are in good shape and not on the wear bars. Thats basically it

Is there a hard rule as for age of tires?
I know that car tires have a suggested life span of 5 years from day of manufacturing or less if worn out less.
What if your bike tires are still in good shape but are on the 5-6 year mark from day of being made?
Would this not pass safety?

Any Ontario certified Motorcycle Mechanic can do bike safeties, even one not employed by a bike shop at the time.

Brakes and tires, lighting and reflectors all a huge part of it, if your bike is 100% original everything you will not have a problem,
if your ride was modified by a previous owner, ymmv.

Any Ontario certified Motorcycle Mechanic can do bike safeties, even one not employed by a bike shop at the time.

Your statement sounds like a certified bike mechanic who does not currently work in that profession can do a bike safety.
I don't know if that is exactly true.
Don't you need to be approved by the ministry to issue safety certificates. AND also have those certificates to fill out.

I think the OP was asking if he can take his bike to a automotive repair shop that issues safety certificates for auto and have them issue a certificate for the motorcycle?

@dualheadlamps
Let us know where you are located and maybe we can point you to the right place to get it done.

Your statement sounds like a certified bike mechanic who does not currently work in that profession can do a bike safety.
I don't know if that is exactly true.
Well that would be another one of those things that actually did and does happen but ymmv.
and no automotive mechanic does not cut it.

Well that would be another one of those things that actually did and does happen but ymmv.
and no automotive mechanic does not cut it.

Interesting.
I supposed as long as you have legit certificates to fill out, you are good to issue them.

Here you go: https://www.ontario.ca/page/safety-standards-certificate#section-4

Very recently, safeties have gotten a bit stricter / more thorough. Or they were supposed to, anyway. I still don't think most mechanics are going to fail you for a missing safety reflector or missing rear fender. They might be less tolerant of stupid headlight shenigans (e.g. HID system/LED bulbs in inappropriate reflector assembly)

Anyone have a copy of a bike safety so I can see the list?

Please spare me the "well go take the bike in and find out what it needs" schpeel. I do all my work myself so don't want to pay the shop for the work or twice for the safety.
You can still do the work yourself. I believe you have a brief window (10 days/100km) to return for the safety without being charged a second time.

Almost every shop is different. Some will write you a ticket with a bare minimum of inspection, others are a lot tougher. I know if one place that will not pass a bike with worn footpeg feelers.

I know that car tires have a suggested life span of 5 years from day of manufacturing or less if worn out less.
What if your bike tires are still in good shape but are on the 5-6 year mark from day of being made?

No, the rule is 6 years, and it is for the legal sale of tires. You can have 40 year old tires and pass a safety, as long as they're not cracked, worn, etc. Businesses simply cannot legally sell a 6 year or older tire in Canada.

Brakes and tires, lighting and reflectors all a huge part of it, if your bike is 100% original everything you will not have a problem,
if your ride was modified by a previous owner, ymmv.

Very interesting, always thought the business had to have a license issued by the province. If you know of a certified motorcycle mechanic not employed by a bike shop feel free to PM me.

Bike was pretty stock "safety-wise",I just spent quite a bit of time de-ricing it. Tell me more about these reflectors, which ones are required? I have them somewhere, I think... If not will just get some automotive reflective adhesive for the safety. Does colour matter?
Don't you need to be approved by the ministry to issue safety certificates. AND also have those certificates to fill out.

@dualheadlamps
Let us know where you are located and maybe we can point you to the right place to get it done.

Yeah, my auto mechanic is always bitching about how expensive each of those certificates are, not sure if true...

I'm in North York. Rosey Toes did my last bike a decade ago, but as I said, I do all my work, the bike I safetied then was practically brand new so I knew they couldn't shaft me for something, I'm very mechanically inclined also so going into a shop with a bike with 1000km on it, hard for them to argue it needs something.

You can still do the work yourself. I believe you have a brief window (10 days/100km) to return for the safety without being charged a second time.

Interesting, but I may not get the work done within 10 days, and safeties have recently got stupid expensive. Not sure if the same for bikes. Between waiting on ebay parts, or parts from the dealer, dying from the coronavirus etc., don't want that time constraint and be out $80 plus tax.

Almost every shop is different. Some will write you a ticket with a bare minimum of inspection, others are a lot tougher. I know if one place that will not pass a bike with worn footpeg feelers.

Yes I know, been a car guy since 16, I've seen the range... So where do you reccommend I go to get my 28 year old bike "easily" safetied? Perhaps a shop with a soft spot for old superbikes?

Someone's gotta have a bike safety lying around somewhere close by... Post a picture! :)

No, the rule is 6 years, and it is for the legal sale of tires. You can have 40 year old tires and pass a safety, as long as they're not cracked, worn, etc. Businesses simply cannot legally sell a 6 year or older tire in Canada.

Very interesting, always thought the business had to have a license issued by the province. If you know of a certified motorcycle mechanic not employed by a bike shop feel free to PM me.

Bike was pretty stock "safety-wise",I just spent quite a bit of time de-ricing it. Tell me more about these reflectors, which ones are required? I have them somewhere, I think... If not will just get some automotive reflective adhesive for the safety. Does colour matter?

Yeah, my auto mechanic is always bitching about how expensive each of those certificates are, not sure if true...

I'm in North York. Rosey Toes did my last bike a decade ago, but as I said, I do all my work, the bike I safetied then was practically brand new so I knew they couldn't shaft me for something, I'm very mechanically inclined also so going into a shop with a bike with 1000km on it, hard for them to argue it needs something.

Interesting, but I may not get the work done within 10 days, and safeties have recently got stupid expensive. Not sure if the same for bikes. Between waiting on ebay parts, or parts from the dealer, dying from the coronavirus etc., don't want that time constraint and be out $80 plus tax.

Yes I know, been a car guy since 16, I've seen the range... So where do you reccommend I go to get my 28 year old bike "easily" safetied? Perhaps a shop with a soft spot for old superbikes?

Someone's gotta have a bike safety lying around somewhere close by... Post a picture! :)
KMW Ken's Motoworks - GTA Motorcycle and Classic Car Repair and Service

Last edited:
I know a lot of motorcycle mechanics and the last one that did an inspection for me was working out of his wife's jewelry shop. Next guy I would call is Ian at either his home, or at Belleville Lawn and Sport where he might still be working. So for you I am going to take the safe route and recommend calling Belleville Lawn & Sport (y) and see if they can help you out.

I recently sold a bike and was surprised when the buyer later told me which items didn't pass safety - not having bar end plugs and leaking exhaust header gaskets (which was disclosed and new gaskets were included in the sale).

Last edited:
TwistedKestrel already linked to the official regulations.

A tech has to be registered at a licensed shop to write a safety, both him and a shop signing authority (he can be both) need to sign the safety.

An auto tech (310S license) can sign motorcycle safeties (with the exception of tricycles) , a motorcycle tech (310G license) can only sign motorcycle safeties.

Safety's are a somewhat serious thing, at the extreme end, both the tech and the shop can lose their respective tech and garage license if they screw up.

Edit: If the repairs are completed within 36 days, by anyone, the shop cannot charge to reinspect the vehicle, though some do.
Edit2: The shop's cost is $5.1 per safety form.

Last edited:
Reactions: TK4
"I'm in North York. Rosey Toes did my last bike a decade ago" " So where do you reccommend I go to get my 28 year old bike "easily" safetied? Perhaps a shop with a soft spot for old superbikes?:)

You already answered your own question. Older bike, missing small bits, needs to be "easily" safetied.
Just go see Ted at Rosey Toes again, they don't get much easier and he loves older bikes.
Call first but I believe he's still open till 7 5 days. 1 416-241-2523

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

TwistedKestrel already linked to the official regulations.

A tech has to be registered at a licensed shop to write a safety, both him and a shop signing authority (he can be both) need to sign the safety.

An auto tech (310S license) can sign motorcycle safeties (with the exception of tricycles) , a motorcycle tech (310G license) can only sign motorcycle safeties.

Safety's are a somewhat serious thing, at the extreme end, both the tech and the shop can lose their respective tech and garage license if they screw up.

Edit: If the repairs are completed within 36 days, by anyone, the shop cannot charge to reinspect the vehicle, though some do.
Edit2: The shop's cost is $5.1 per safety form.

It’s a few month old thread but I wanted to update with the proper info for anyone else looking through here.

TwistedKestrel is correct that the tech signing the safety needs to be employed at a licensed mvis shop and be registered with that shop to sign. The tech’s license number has to correlate with the shop’s mvis number.

Unfortunately though, Ontario changed the law that used to allow an auto service tech (310s) with a valid M license to sign a motorcycle safety. After a fatality around 8-10 years ago they passed a bill that states only a licensed motorcycle tech can sign. The original rule was used because of accessibility to a Moto tech in Northern Ontario could be tough but the revision to the law read that safety trumps accessibility.

I am a 310S and 310T tech and have signed my own safeties on my bikes without knowing about the revision. The first couple went through, the folks at Service Ontario must have either missed it or not known (or cared). It was on my last used bike that the lady at the counter told me about the change in law. I looked it up and she was correct.

As stated above the things to check are brakes (life and function), all the lights, the wheel bearings and steering stem bearing are supposed to be checked and free of play, obviously structural components inspected for cracks or excessive wear. Under the 2016 safety standards revision any vehicle being safetied for a change of ownership must also be free of any fluid leaks.

Hope this helps someone in the future

For me, this year I had tires manufactured in 2012, on a bike and was still able to get it safetied.

For me, this year I had tires manufactured in 2012, on a bike and was still able to get it safetied.

Age of the tires is a guideline. For the purposes of the safety, there has to be enough tread and there can’t be any cracks in the tread.
This is an area where I’ve butted heads with Snow City. They sold me a certified used bike that had tires with cracks on the sidewalll. When I called them on it they said it technically passed so deal with it.

Back
Top Bottom