Minivan life here we come! | GTAMotorcycle.com

Minivan life here we come!

mimico_polak

Site Supporter
So baby #2 arrived, and she's wonderful and quiet. However when I put the baby seat into the back of the 2012 Rogue, and wedged myself in b/w her and her brother (at a grand total of 5'7 and 170lbs I thought I was going to pass out...so here we are!
Looking for recommendations / comments / real world experience on our top 3 picks!
1. Honda Odyssey
2. Toyota Sienna
3. KIA Sedona
Wife and I both don't like the offerings from the Americans, however I love the look of the Chrysler product...but I've not read great things about it in terms of reliability. I'd also like to use the hybrid platform but it's super pricey.
Looking to trade in both the 2014 Volt and the 2012 Rogue to try and come down to a good value. I'm thinking 35k is a good price point, and the new Odysseys (EX and above) start at 38k or so+++.
Thanks!

I'm with you, on the surface the Pacifica PIEV seems interesting, but holy bleeping hell do they want so much money for something with a completely crap range. They need to get their heads out of their *****.

For your budget, I am thinking Kia will be the winner. I know some people that swear by them but I have no knowledge about recent ones. I also know people that have and love honda and toyota vans but they are damned pricey.

As an interim step, do your car seats (or at least one of them) allow you to use a wedge or towel to tip them a bit? That's an easy way to gain a few inches.

@GreyGhost...haven't thought of the towel trick. Right now the plan is that if we go together (with the MIL) then we take 2 cars or I just Uber it to wherever we go. For short distances it's doable...but for any further than 20min or so forget about it.
This is why we're considering trading both cars in...since I'm still working in BC I don't actually have a need for a car at this point in time. So a single car will make sense for another year, give or take.
If the trade value of the Rogue is less than 5k or so then I'll just keep it as my car when I need it.

I'm allergic to babies, so I'm just making a semi-educated guess, but I believe it's a HTA offence to modify car seats and/or mounting, and also may be an issue with insurance in the event of an accident.

I'm allergic to babies, so I'm just making a semi-educated guess, but I believe it's a HTA offence to modify car seats and/or mounting, and also may be an issue with insurance in the event of an accident.
Some specifically allow it, that's why I started with that (for instance Diono sells a $20 chunk of foam that gains you a few inches of legroom). I know some sites recommend the rolled towel or pool noodle, I haven't used those methods so I can't comment on the safety/legality of those methods.

Extended Rear Facing Car Seat Angle Adjuster | Diono Canada

Apparently MTO approved pool noodles? Surprised me.
Install a child car seat
"If needed, use a firmly rolled towel or a firm foam bar (like a pool noodle) under the base to achieve this angle."

I'm not a Toyota fan , but they have sold a million of them around the world. The Kia represents a pretty good looking purchase value, resale will be nil so if yiou buy it, be prepared to live with it for a while.

my sister in law has had 2 or 3 Kia Souls and absolutely LOVES them...we took out a Sedona but ended up in a Hyundai Santa Fe...we picked up a top of the line 2012 with 20,000 km for $20,000 back in 2014 and it ran great in summer and winter...it had the AWD with navigation, leather seats, panoramic moon roof...etc...never an issue...we used it to haul a 6x10 enclosed trailer full of furniture down to San Diego and our bikes several times to PA and VT...gas mileage hauling the trailer wasn't the best, but other than that the 6 cylinder was great...

I love my Honda odyssey. Bought it used almost 3 years ago. It has over 300k on it now and still runs amazing. I use it like a truck, towing boats, bikes and atvs.
I've replaced the alternator ($300), one front wheel bearing ($50) and oil changes in the last 100k.
Mine is an 07 and I purposely avoided the exl and touring models as that generation they had electronic motor mounts that weren't reliable and very expensive to replace. The ex and lx had conventional mounts. I'm not sure if any of that applies to the newer generation.
I wouldn't hesitate to buy another and I likely will be when my current van is done.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

I have three boys. They're all over six feet and size fourteen shoes. The only 2015 van they would all fit into the second row in, was the Odyssey. If you're thinking of having another child in the next couple of years, it might be worth a check.

Ford Flex
high end one with decent wheels and tires
tint it out, put a decent radio in it

sure you cruise around looking like an undertaker
but way cooler than a minivan
and you have 3 rows of seating and storage

women seem to hate them though

Ford Flex
high end one with decent wheels and tires
tint it out, put a decent radio in it

sure you cruise around looking like an undertaker
but way cooler than a minivan
and you have 3 rows of seating and storage

women seem to hate them though
Are they making them again? When we looked, there weren't enough around in lots, to even get a test drive.

yeah they still sell them
Ford Canada has them listed as a '19 model

don't think they are a bigger seller here
can get a nicely equipped one for 35K

For reliability get a caravan for features get a Pacifica generally regarded as the best minivan out there Toyota is an old design and the Honda is a do not buy from cr.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

We owned a Honda Odyssey a while back and it was the best Van ever. I called it the Queen Mary because is was massive but there was nothing it could not do and it was our reliable "family" van for years! We almost bought the Chrysler based on price but after researching a bit it was pretty clear Chrysler's had a lot of reliability issues. Trannys in particular.

For reliability get a caravan for features get a Pacifica generally regarded as the best minivan out there Toyota is an old design and the Honda is a do not buy from cr.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Wow, hard to believe. Thing must have really changed since my 2001 Odyssey, and even with the known transmission issue, I'd still make the same decision over any Chrysler product other than the Viper. My cousin who bought a Chrysler/Dodge van years later constantly complained about how it was always in the shop.

I had a brand new 2001 Odyssey that lasted about 13 years and 350,000 kms, but only because it was written off when it was rear ended and pushed into the car in front of us. Otherwise I have no doubt it would still be going to this day. Only major problem was the transmision, which was a known issue and covered under an extended warranty. Odyclub was a great resource for figuring out common problems to solve every out of warranty issue that came up. I can't count how many times I've transported my own or others' bikes inside it, which saved me from needing a trailer, and at the track I could sleep in it on air mattress. We replaced it with an MDX, but boy I miss that thing.

That said, it was their first big van and it didn't drive very well. Maybe compare to the American vans, but not to a car. The later models got better, but I've never driven any of them, only been a passenger. I rented a current generation Sienna when I was in California, and that thing shocked me how well it handled in the mountains.

Best part about a van is the ability to move from the front seat to the back without having to stop (legality aside). Comes in handy when the kids need something or are misbehaving on a long ride, like from here to Florida. Also, the ability to remove seats - we only needed 4 seats, so we left the middle seats our most of the time, which gave a huge amount of legroom to the rear passengers as the kids got older.

Owned a Montana for over 10 years. Died on it's own. Should have bought a Toyota or Honda. I miss having a minivan. Other than gas mileage....but then again it's no worse than my SUV and it can take a lot more stuff.

Odyssey #1 and not because I’m a Honda fanboy. For longevity and ride, power and quality. It’s still a minivan but, they do it well.

If budget driven, go new with Chrysler and you have the warranty. But once you get to 100k, the struts are toast and it gets creaky and clunky and somethings start to go. Creaks are some of the interior plastics and the electric doors or rear door may give up the ghost.

I am a fan of the Kia. We have a 2016 Soul with just over 60k.

Build quality seems good so far.

For minivans, price points are in between the Honda and Chrysler and closer to Chrysler.

Middle seats do no fold and stow. But, the Honda doesn’t either.

IF AWD is consideration, then Toyota is the only option. It’s a little homely to me so, I don’t look at them too closely. My kid has a Tercel so, I like Toyota personally. Just not their minivans. Lol

Buy what makes the wife happy. I’d pay the extra few bucks and get the Honda. If I’m saving a few bucks, go with the Kia.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I too had a Montana for about 12 years. I replaced it with a brand new Dodge Grand Caravan that I picked up through Toronto Star Auctions for under $20K on the road.
There was much better clearance on the Montana for carrying bikes. I used it to transport bikes bought in Chicago and Indianapolis. I miss that van and the comfy seats it had.
The Dodge Caravan was/is a step down but it hasn’t let me down. Only needed oil changes, brake rotors and pads, and a rear wheel bearing all of which I did the work. And tires of course.
From an overall value perspective, the Grand Caravan wins out for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom