Minivan life here we come! | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Minivan life here we come!

@Robbo...my wife had a Montana for years. Told her I could buy 5 Montanas for the price of an Odyssey...she didn't think it's as funny as I thought it was....

Anyway went to drive the Odyssey today...very nice car. But they wouldn't budge on the number and wanted all in Freight and PDI for about 7k (2019 EX) more than I'm willing to pay. I'll go check out a used Touring in the afternoon. Maybe have better luck there.

Anyway went to drive the Odyssey today...very nice car. But they wouldn't budge on the number and wanted all in Freight and PDI for about 7k (2019 EX) more than I'm willing to pay. I'll go check out a used Touring in the afternoon. Maybe have better luck there.
Welcome to Honda. The giant douchebaggery sales organization. When car shopping around 2013, I had a salesman literally ask me why I was bothering to look at any other vehicles because the Civic was the best vehicle ever made (and that generation was a turd). Followed by "we're Honda, we don't negotiate, if you know us, you will pay whatever we ask to buy our vehicles". wtf. cya later.

Look into some of the third parties that get you a pre-negotiated price to get an idea of what to expect. Then you can decide if it’s worth the effort to try to squeeze a few hundred more out of them.

Welcome to Honda. The giant douchebaggery sales organization. When car shopping around 2013, I had a salesman literally ask me why I was bothering to look at any other vehicles because the Civic was the best vehicle ever made (and that generation was a turd). Followed by "we're Honda, we don't negotiate, if you know us, you will pay whatever we ask to buy our vehicles". wtf. cya later.

So you base one negative experience and presume everyone else that works at Honda dealership to be the same lol.

As with everything in life, there are good and bad apples. I had a positive phone experience with Enbridge today-can you believe that!!

OP, 3rd generation and up for the Odyssey. 2nd gen had the glass transmission.

I drove a demo 2019 Odyssey home for the weekend not too long ago. I was shocked how fast it was, and how well it drove. Seriously almost put me to sleep driving along the 407.

@Robbo...my wife had a Montana for years. Told her I could buy 5 Montanas for the price of an Odyssey...she didn't think it's as funny as I thought it was....

Honda dealers dont make much on new vehicle sales.
Average profit is $1500 or so.
In the recent past I have simply walked in and told them I want X for $500 over dealer cost and Ill sign the papers right now. If they arent interested I tell them Ill go to the next dealer.
High volume dealers have nothing to lose. They make a quick sale and likely get kickbacks from Honda at the end of the month anyway.

Not sure if you asked for $7K off but if you did they should have laughed at you lol

Do yourself a favour and at least test-drive a Chrysler Pacifica.

Mandatory conflict-of-interest disclosure: I have several customers that build parts for those. Final assembly is in Windsor.

Was that at Lakeshore Honda i.e. Marino's Fine cars?? They were way better than my local dealer.

Ford Flex
high end one with decent wheels and tires
tint it out, put a decent radio in it

sure you cruise around looking like an undertaker
but way cooler than a minivan
and you have 3 rows of seating and storage

women seem to hate them though
My wife hates them.
I would love one.

Sent from my Purple LGG4 using Tapatalk

@Iceman 3 wheel bearing in the last 3 years on my Pilot. Never had to do them on any other vehicle. Honda thing? And $50??? Damn, I should learn to do my own repairs.

@Iceman 3 wheel bearing in the last 3 years on my Pilot. Never had to do them on any other vehicle. Honda thing? And $50??? Damn, I should learn to do my own repairs.

fronts went on my Silverado @ 75K
went from barely perceptible noise
to wheel falling off in 100K of driving home from the airport

ate the rotor, caliper, drive shaft
ended up doing both sides, $2k repair

no GM's again, ever

fronts went on my Silverado @ 75K
went from barely perceptible noise
to wheel falling off in 100K of driving home from the airport

ate the rotor, caliper, drive shaft
ended up doing both sides, $2k repair

no GM's again, ever
Wow, I've done my share of wheel bearings but never had one come apart nearly that quickly. Normally I try to get them done within a month after I hear them. At one point, GM also made the bearing part of the hub to save the user from needing a press to replace (and turned a $50 part into a $700 part as a side effect). I'm not sure what the current situation is.

SunnyS used to sell cars?? Lol

@mimicopolak -- first off: congrats!
My sister had an Odessy, tons of issues.
I know many other people with them and no issues. So she may have gotten a lemon.
You know that I like Hondas. My Pilot is at 275k and at for non-routine repairs, I'm happy. (except for those damn wheel bearings!)

That being said, I personally don't like the look of the new Pacifica. I could be wrong, but it looks like you lose some space.
If you get a minivan, I would recommend getting the longer wheelbase version if available.
Once that third row is in use, you lose a lot of space for strollers etc.
I have owned 2 Caravans (1 reg, 1 Grand)
Both purchased at $100k
Not without their issues (1st had tranny replaced under warranty before I got it)
2nd had major rust in the sliding door jambs...not sure if this was a design issue. I noticed many with the same rust.
But they both took me to ~250k.
1st bought for $9k sold for $2500
2nd bought for $11k sold for $1000.
Total I drove them for 12 years.

Would buy another.
I love minivans.
Best thing for Costco runs.

Just my $0.02

@Robbo..

Ignore the haughty Honda dealerships, there are good and reasonable ones out there. Try Halton Honda in Burlington. By far the best to deal with in the area. Their service dept is amazing as well.

When I had a bad experience with Acura Hamilton for service on my MDX, Halton Honda was more than happy to work on my vehicle.

Wow, I've done my share of wheel bearings but never had one come apart nearly that quickly. Normally I try to get them done within a month after I hear them. At one point, GM also made the bearing part of the hub to save the user from needing a press to replace (and turned a $50 part into a $700 part as a side effect). I'm not sure what the current situation is.

yup
the dealer was around 4K including both hubs and the other parts/labour/taxes
CTC with after market parts was half that
then it went directly to a new home at the Ford dealer

I love the Flex too. Decent towing, decent power, assembled in Oakville. Looks are love it or hate it. I happen to like it. Does get spendy as the options climb.

Cons? Doors and rears seat access. Can’t beat a minivan for sliding doors.

Lastly, seriously consider leather for seat. You can treat the cloth seats for the fall out but, nothing beats leather for easy clean up.

If the wife insists on cloth and saving dough, leave the cleaning of the van to her.

I knew mine would agree to the clean up and then leave it for me. So, I get leather now. Sure it’s cold in winter but, they warm up fast.

Oh and we have dogs too. One sheds it’s fur. Seats always look good. Still have fur where ever there is carpet etc.

That’s it.

Have fun and enjoy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not sure if you asked for $7K off but if you did they should have laughed at you lol

Lord no I didn't ask for 7k off! That's an insane margin which I know they don't have. I asked to waive the Freight and PDI ($2k) and about 1-2k more/car which makes it 6k total. They didn't budge, and I'm more upset they didn't even go to check out the cars when I offered to show them both of them. Frankly the salesman even said the numbers are low but until we have a deal on the table we won't even look at them...my point is 'what's the point of making a deal if you haven't given me a trade-in value?'

Anyway I haven't gone to Marino's yet...they've been ***** to deal with over the years, and especially their service dept. Although they have a sexy new dealership at Kipling/QEW.

Might go see some more tomorrow, and if that doesn't work out look for a demo that'll knock off the F&PDI if it's the same price as a used one.

Lord no I didn't ask for 7k off! That's an insane margin which I know they don't have. I asked to waive the Freight and PDI ($2k) and about 1-2k more/car which makes it 6k total. They didn't budge, and I'm more upset they didn't even go to check out the cars when I offered to show them both of them. Frankly the salesman even said the numbers are low but until we have a deal on the table we won't even look at them...my point is 'what's the point of making a deal if you haven't given me a trade-in value?'

Anyway I haven't gone to Marino's yet...they've been ***** to deal with over the years, and especially their service dept. Although they have a sexy new dealership at Kipling/QEW.

Might go see some more tomorrow, and if that doesn't work out look for a demo that'll knock off the F&PDI if it's the same price as a used one.
Old school stupidity. I'm with you. We are negotiating the total out the door price and there are tons of ways to get there. Completely ignoring real tradein values makes any negotiation on the price of the new vehicle useless. They could give you the 7k off the car on the condition than you trade in two cars and then lowball you hard to get all the money back.

Chrysler "quality" is still iffy.

Long term test reviews are a good gauge as issues become apparent after many thousands of miles as opposed to your typical review where a staffer has the vehicle for a day or two.

Its very clear that FCA didn't do their homework when they designed the Hybrid Pacifica.

Our 2018 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid Battles Complaints as It Crosses 30,000 Miles

Wouldn't want to own one of these after 3 years.

My brother has a friend in the auto industry whose sole job is to beat on brand new vehicles destined for the media so that he can uncover, and have fixed, anything that would break if they had just handed it over.

Old school stupidity. I'm with you. We are negotiating the total out the door price and there are tons of ways to get there. Completely ignoring real tradein values makes any negotiation on the price of the new vehicle useless. They could give you the 7k off the car on the condition than you trade in two cars and then lowball you hard to get all the money back.
Agreed. Here's the price I'm looking at, and let's see how close we can get to it. That's all I want. I don't actually care whether you screw me on the trade, or give me a 'discount' on the new car. Doesn't matter, so long as we get to a price we both agree on.
Anyway there's other cars out there, I need to get this done tomorrow and if not then it'll have to wait till I'm back home from BC in a few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom