Managing amateur track day risk | Page 8 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Managing amateur track day risk

I've ridden every session so far. I don't have too much of a problem going slower later on however if I start to feel tired I have no problem coming in early. I also haven't crashed........yet. Gotta learn somehow.

Use to ride every session last year but Recipe's advice has altered that greatly, in a good way. I find myself now not doing full sessions and then coming in well before the flag. If there is any sign of break in my concentration or fatigue or I feel thirsty etc, I come in. If I'm in the rhythm and just cranking down fast laps and the flag comes out, no problem, sometimes you just get in the zone and time flies, but you're fully concentrated.

On top of that I don't ride the last session. I don't have a problem going out after lunch but again, because I don't generally go out for the full session then I never tire myself out or stretch my capabilities. You don't learn anything when you're thinking about "just finishing the session" just "because" or thinking "that lunch is not sitting well". I'd rather crank in some good laps, feel what's what and come in, relax and assess.

So far I've enjoyed it this way and it seems much safer.

"Sooooo, Recip tell us ........." I'll add a little bit here (maybe a good guess or 25+ years doing this stuff [you pick]) the thing I'm seeing more of at track days right now, are people riding above there ability or knowledge (not everybody, but a bunch) ........ I've been fixing a bunch of fiberglass and bent aluminum because of peoples ego's and I'm getting tiring of it. as to " Managing amateur track day risk" its up to the guy (girl) doing the riding or as some have stated here "maybe stay at home, it safer". The big message that has been recently sent is "your" action (being whomever) can cost somebody else very "large" and thats not good ......... Bottom line, its a "TRACK DAY" go fast have fun if your ego needs to win, go racing there is lots of that available right now and its way safer for everybody else who are doing track days for the fun and saftey involved and not being that foolish on the steet, I think. BG

The organizers will listen to the riders if more than a couple guys complain about a certain individual.

I've seen guys riding over their head get talked to and they either calmed down the next session or they were kicked out.
Usually takes a couple sessions for them to get talked to so they have a chance to prove it.

Since I ride with the same organization each week, I now recognize who is who on the track and who I can ride hard and who I have to be carefull around.

This, Sometimes us marshalls can't see all the stupid riders, if you complain about a rider doing something the marshalls will hear about it and we will keep our eyes on that rider and black flag them if need be.

that being said... I'm soon to be the noob on the track / I have track school on Aug 12th at GBM!!! YAY - A big thanks to Ken for helping me with this!!

I find "TAKING IT EASY" is a recipe for disaster.

The after lunch lazy's is EXACTLY why I don't ride, its asking for trouble.

Go out late and come in early. I'd rather have 10 minutes of good riding than 20 minutes of crap, just because I paid for it. And I don't normally eat anything for lunch above a Mars bar.

I do like to have a couple of Guinness though. That's okay isn't it?

Go out late and come in early. I'd rather have 10 minutes of good riding than 20 minutes of crap, just because I paid for it. And I don't normally eat anything for lunch above a Mars bar.

This.

Quality over quantity. If I'm not out there actually working on something then it's really just pointless laps (to me anyhow) and that's a quick way to waste expensive tires.

I've sat out the last session on occasion when I've felt I got what I wanted out of the track day, but there is always more to work on. Even just dialing it back 10% and working on lines will do a lot to get you more consistent and later on, faster. But sometimes you just have to check yourself and leave it for another day.

Funny, after lunch is when I usually do my best times. I think it all began when I stopped eating the track food :D

Especially on these hot days keep hydrated. I heard someone say, "if you're not peeing you're not drinking enough". Maintain your focus especially on faster tracks. You bike is covering a lot of distance at track pace. These days I hate seeing racers on TV looking back because I know that new track day riders are watching it and will do the same thing. Race tracks are designed to be challenging, that's what makes them fun to ride. But with the challenge comes the track's demand that riders pay attension. Looks like it's turning into a tough summer for motorcycle lapping days.

This.

Quality over quantity. If I'm not out there actually working on something then it's really just pointless laps (to me anyhow) and that's a quick way to waste expensive tires.

Agreed !!

Racer's will work on something when they're out. Most track day participants are happy to be at the track and in most cases don't know what they should be working on!!...which them dangerous!!

I was at track day at Barber and the friend that i went down with was in the green group. For the same cost of the day, they provided, near mandatory, classroom sessions to give them something to work on for their next session. A simple process, but it provides a better session for all and educates the noobies as they move up into the next group.

Awh geez... now a rider has died at Mosport. Be careful out there.

Lots of interesting stuff in this thread, and I can tell that my views on this are probably pretty different than most track day participants. I certainly don't want to start an internet argument around something as sensitive as death, so I'll just say a couple of things.

Don't want to single you out, spinto, but you made a comment that really caught my attention:

Yellow group:

1. your goal is to be in Red group, so you'll be learning how to do the above in Red group.

Why is it so obvious that a Yellow rider's goal is to be in the Red group? You seem to take it for granted that every rider wants to be in a faster group. It may seem like a subtle point, but to me it's a fundamental reason why stuff like this happens. Maybe green riders want to just ride the green group forever. Maybe Yellow riders want to stay in the Yellow group forever.

I've been an intermediate skier for more years than I care to think about. I ski a few days a year, and I enjoy it. I don't keep time, I don't compare my speed with others. I enjoy being outside in the winter, the sensation of speed, the fun of doing it with friends and family.

I've always been a beginner golfer. I play a few times a year. It's a nice way to spend the day with friends. I like being outside in the summer, challenging myself to do something that takes concentration.

I'm not saying I don't try to get better at these things. When I partake in them, I try to improve. But I'll likely always be an intermediate skier, and a beginner golfer, and that doesn't diminish my enjoyment or my right to take part in those events. It's a non-competitive pursuit, and I'm in it to have fun and enjoy a hobby.

Isn't that what track days are supposed to be? Isn't that why they're not called "race days"?

Maybe green riders want to just ride the green group forever. Maybe Yellow riders want to stay in the Yellow group forever.
That's just crazy talk. All the cool kids are in red :p

Increased competence and the resulting safety is the real goal, I'm sure not everyone moves up..............although I don't understand not wanting to move up.

That's just crazy talk. All the cool kids are in red :p

Increased competence and the resulting safety is the real goal, I'm sure not everyone moves up..............although I don't understand not wanting to move up.

When I was in green, I was happy in green and had no intention of moving up. Eventually I found myself passing a lot of people and experiencing big speed differences on the track, so I started riding yellow. At the moment I have no intention or desire to move to red. Just want to go out on the track and ride my ride. Eventually if I get too fast for yellow, I'll move up. But it's not something I "want" and it certainly isn't an ambition that I have in my life.

Back
Top Bottom