Looks like restaurants and gyms reopening next week. What's the road ahead? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Looks like restaurants and gyms reopening next week. What's the road ahead?

PrivatePilot

Ironus Butticus
Site Supporter

In typical Ford fashion the hint of an announcement about an upcoming announcement that will announce the announcement happened today. Current restrictions expire next Wednesday, and it looks like they will indeed expire based on what came out today.

So, Gyms and Restaurants (and probably some other stuff, theatres etc) will be reopened with what will likely be lower capacity limits again for a few weeks, but it's a start. And FFS I hope they get the vaccine passport system working as intended this time around.

There's more than a few solid indications that we've reached a plateau on Omicron infections and we might indeed start to see the rapid plummeting of infections and hospitalizations in the next week that other places have seen. And it did indeed show itself to be less serious vs Delta. So I guess it makes sense. As much as I've been a huge supporter of all the Covid health guidances and such in the last 2 years, I think it's time we start to plan to find a way to live with Covid and the inevitable future variants and forge a new path ahead.

That's going to mean some tough (and probably expensive) decisions with regards to hospital capacity so that we don't need to close down every time there's a surge in the months and years ahead. When we get to the election in a few months I hope people remember this and make it the #1 election story...no more "buck a beer" nonsense like last time.

New variants seem likely just like seasonal flu (that Snowmicron one on Monday sucked balls!) so lets figure out how to manage this. Those who want to get vaccinated seasonally (which seems likely to be what'll happen, the same as the flu shot) can do so, those who don't, well, I guess they deal with whatever that leads them to, but.....it's time to move forward somehow.

It is right to plan for normality if science and the facts says so. I don’t actually think we are at that point yet but it’s probably close. We are behind some other countries in time in terms of cases and infections and they aren’t planning for normality yet.

So, now leaked official date is January 31'st I guess.

Better than rushing into it I guess.

@PP , the article you linked to has Jan 31 in the headline and references it several times in the text . Not much leaking there .

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

@PP , the article you linked to has Jan 31 in the headline and references it several times in the text . Not much leaking there .

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com
youll have to excuse @PrivatePilot

he started on the old fashioned beverages a little early tonight. speaking of <heads to the basement bar>

The story was updated after I posted it.

"Updated January 19, 2022 6:47 pm" right at the top of the article. ;)

I have, however, had a few bevvies this evening. Given the way work is going right now it's a necessary step at the conclusion of every day lol.

youll have to excuse @PrivatePilot

he started on the old fashioned beverages a little early tonight. speaking of <heads to the basement bar>
was thinking the same, but lcbo closes at 9pm in this country...

talk about fascism.

That's going to mean some tough (and probably expensive) decisions with regards to hospital capacity so that we don't need to close down every time there's a surge in the months and years ahead. When we get to the election in a few months I hope people remember this and make it the #1 election story...no more "buck a beer" nonsense like last time.

New variants seem likely just like seasonal flu (that Snowmicron one on Monday sucked balls!) so lets figure out how to manage this. Those who want to get vaccinated seasonally (which seems likely to be what'll happen, the same as the flu shot) can do so, those who don't, well, I guess they deal with whatever that leads them to, but.....it's time to move forward somehow.

Hopefully the new COVID-19 antiviral pill will perform as well in the real world as it did in the trials, and prevent mild to medium symptoms from becoming serious.

was thinking the same, but lcbo closes at 9pm in this country...

talk about fascism.

If your not inventoried enough to withstand several binging nights and unexpected drop in consumers you need to up your game. LCBO should be able to close for a week and you should be covered .
It’s part of adulting .

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

If your not inventoried enough to withstand several binging nights and unexpected drop in consumers you need to up your game. LCBO should be able to close for a week and you should be covered .
It’s part of adulting .

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app
I think I'm stocked up for a few weeks of boozing. Unfortunately with my recent gas issues I'm off the booze for a few weeks to see how it goes. So far so good!

I wonder if this will be similar to last year where we opened for like 3 weeks in March and then closed again for 3 months due to rising ICU numbers. We're only ~130 ICU spots away from last year's peak.

Who cares about gyms anymore? I think by now anyone serious about fitness has their own gym in their own home (I know I do :)).

I just feel sorry for my friends who owns BJJ gym (can't roll with 30ppl in your house) and restaurant for being sick and tired keep closing and opening over and over... I've been buying take out food from my buddy's restaurant not stop - all I can do for him.... Can't help my BJJ friend unfortunately, hope ppl will come back to the mat after it all over...

I wonder if this will be similar to last year where we opened for like 3 weeks in March and then closed again for 3 months due to rising ICU numbers. We're only ~130 ICU spots away from last year's peak.

This is what I’m thinking. Seems a bit premature. Just watching the British news and they are removing restrictions but there are two things that people should think about with that news:

1. The UK is several weeks ahead of us with omicron issues
2. They have ballsed up nearly every other measure (or lack of) that was put in place. They are not a role model.

So we are behind in terms of a peak, and we are moving ahead following a country that has not done well.

The BBC interviewed a guy saying “yes, it’s time to open everything up”….then at the end I saw he was the head of the small business organization in the UK.

We are keeping the kids out of school for at least one more week. Hospitals are preparing for a disaster. Hopefully it works out to a lot of preparation and no disaster materializes.

closing gyms was a huge mistake.

Gyms had to be one of the hands-down worst places for potential spread. People weren’t wearing masks when they were supposed to, everybody’s breathing heavy, and a not small portion of people were using fake passports to get in to begin with - it seems a not inconsequential percentage of the hard core fitness junkies are on the antivax bandwagon.

Hopefully the new COVID-19 antiviral pill will perform as well in the real world as it did in the trials, and prevent mild to medium symptoms from becoming serious.

It’s hilarious seeing all the inquiries online in several social media sites from people asking when this will be available, only to look at their post history and find out they’re unvaccinated, with some ranting against “big pharma” and that song and dance at some point in the past.

So they’re ok with taking a pill from Pfizer to save themselves if they get COVID, their condition deteriorates, and seem likely to be heading to a hospital, but not a needle to likely prevent that possibility from ever happening to begin with.

Conclusion? A lot of people are just being babies who are scared of needles.

Apparently the cost of these pills is in the $1000 per dose region as well, which we the taxpayers get to foot.

Back
Top Bottom