Looking for some fitness guidance | Page 8 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Looking for some fitness guidance

man at 140-145lbs body weight, I can only look at some big numbers and dream.
I'm using this interestingly modified plan, only doing the big 4 lifts with a lot of weight with min reps and accessories if time allows.
5x3, 3x4, 3x3, 1x3 - last rep on the singles you try to do more and if you can, you go up in weight next cycle. my simple goal is to improve my maxes and get to the 1000lbs club so this is geared towards that.

very nice @Hardwrkr13 no space in current place but next house I hope to have more than just a rack n bench also. I am jealous.
I have 2 buddies both around that weight and they are strength coaches and actually look the part doing presses with 100lb dumbbells and such. I mean there's plenty of 200lb guys in the gym that really just have the muscle mass of a 145lb guy anyways. Take care of those joints.

This is my tiny home gym, and I can do like 95% of what I need.

View attachment 59251

I’m looking for the lat pull-down machine as I can fit it in the space, but for now I’m using this cheap pulley system. Not great, but it works and swings the weights.

View attachment 59252

I weight 180 +/- depending on the day, and I just did 3 sets of 8 of 194lbs.

Very happy with that.

204 in a few days.
Way better than my home gym, a dumbbell and a mat.

Way better than my home gym, a dumbbell and a mat.
Ours came with the house. They left the mats and a few bars attached to ceiling (for pull-ups/trx). We gave that room to the kids for their toys. Kids aren't playing with toys much these days. May purge the kids stuff and take it back. Currently trainer and treadmill are at the other end of the basement on carpet.

Ours came with the house. They left the mats and a few bars attached to ceiling (for pull-ups/trx). We gave that room to the kids for their toys. Kids aren't playing with toys much these days. May purge the kids stuff and take it back. Currently trainer and treadmill are at the other end of the basement on carpet.
I want to replace the Bowflex with either an elliptical, or a treadmill. I can't stand this thing and the motion is so unnatural.

Anyone looking for a Bowflex Max Trainer M7 in very good condition? Bought it for $1000 so looking for $1000 (if my wife agrees!).

You assume it was a work out room.... lol.

20220915_214916.jpg
this is my setup.
second baby meant my existing gym room became an office. this was actually in storage for over 2.5 years because I didn't have anywhere to put it. organized the garage and got back into it this past fall.
started from 280/185/315 SBD
latest max in Dec 295/225/355
still a long way to go.

I have been trying to drop some weight. Exercise, low carb and intermittent fasting was giving me very little progress (did in the past). I was working out pretty intense from October to Mid December and pretty strict on my diet. Results were much slower than expected.

Over Christmas I cut out caffeine. Game changer.... weight is falling off now, diet has not changed and my exercise routine is still not back in full swing after the xmas break. I was experiencing many symptoms of high cortisol levels including poor sleep before cutting out the caffeine, that is why I tried the change. High cortisol levels will impact weight loss. As we get older some of these odd things that did not matter before impact us much more now. I can't say 100% but the only changes have been the caffeine intake and somewhat less exercise.

My coffee (max two per day) was either typically black or with a splash of unsweetened almond milk, so it was not the calories from the coffee.... Never drank coffee after noon. I am shocked by the change, dropping between 2 and 3 lbs per week now.

I have been trying to drop some weight. Exercise, low carb and intermittent fasting was giving me very little progress (did in the past). I was working out pretty intense from October to Mid December and pretty strict on my diet. Results were much slower than expected.

Over Christmas I cut out caffeine. Game changer.... weight is falling off now, diet has not changed and my exercise routine is still not back in full swing after the xmas break. I was experiencing many symptoms of high cortisol levels including poor sleep before cutting out the caffeine, that is why I tried the change. High cortisol levels will impact weight loss. As we get older some of these odd things that did not matter before impact us much more now. I can't say 100% but the only changes have been the caffeine intake and somewhat less exercise.

My coffee (max two per day) was either typically black or with a splash of unsweetened almond milk, so it was not the calories from the coffee.... Never drank coffee after noon. I am shocked by the change, dropping between 2 and 3 lbs per week now.

very interesting. I am the same, black coffee and only in the morning and maybe one at lunch.
Haven't lost any weight even with the increase in activity from lifting. Will try cutting out for 2 weeks. Will just deal with the regression migraines.
Thanks

Wow that's awesome! I never even considered the caffeine aspect. I drink 3-4 black cups/day in the morning.

Pot gets filled up to 10 'cups', wife has a tiny bit, MIL has a tiny cup, and I drink the rest...

All caffeine or do you still have the typical morning cup upon wakeup? I've been thinking of cutting back on mine as well as I started having an afternoon cup when we had our second kiddo.

very interesting. I am the same, black coffee and only in the morning and maybe one at lunch.
Haven't lost any weight even with the increase in activity from lifting. Will try cutting out for 2 weeks. Will just deal with the regression migraines.
Thanks
I’m def gonna try cutting out caffeine…I’ll pair it with my post Cuba diet.

this is my setup.
second baby meant my existing gym room became an office. this was actually in storage for over 2.5 years because I didn't have anywhere to put it. organized the garage and got back into it this past fall.
started from 280/185/315 SBD
latest max in Dec 295/225/355
still a long way to go.

Is the "1000lb club" the tally of the 3 lifts.. or 4?

Is the "1000lb club" the tally of the 3 lifts.. or 4?
Having your 3 big lifts, squat, bench and deadlift add up to 1000lbs or over.
Some people include overhead press but thats cheating ;)
numbers I shared are my max for each in that order. I'm still about 150lbs away.

All caffeine or do you still have the typical morning cup upon wakeup? I've been thinking of cutting back on mine as well as I started having an afternoon cup when we had our second kiddo.
All caffeine, I was a morning only coffee drinker and I have cut that completely out. Also no tea (ones with caffeine) and no diet coke (the last two were rare anyways).

Having your 3 big lifts, squat, bench and deadlift add up to 1000lbs or over.
Some people include overhead press but thats cheating ;)
numbers I shared are my max for each in that order. I'm still about 150lbs away.
If i didnt have tri goals that would be a nice 5 years goal for me
I'm starting from scratch though... Jealous of your home setups

Gonna start stronglifts 5x5 in feb after being off the weights for about 2 months, most lifts will be starting with bar only except the DL and BBR
But after 11-ish weeks those should be my numbers for 5x5

sq 205
bp 125
bbr 145
ohp 120
dl 235

the only one i have big doubts about is the OHP, i'll probably do half increments (2.5lbs) instead of full (5lbs) as i already swim 3 hours per week
After that i have to focus on more intensity in my tri training so i'll have to lift less and increase load less often to not burn out.
Oh and ive been off the weights for about 2 months, so it should be tooooo hard to get back into it

If i didnt have tri goals that would be a nice 5 years goal for me
I'm starting from scratch though... Jealous of your home setups

Gonna start stronglifts 5x5 in feb after being off the weights for about 2 months, most lifts will be starting with bar only except the DL and BBR
But after 11-ish weeks those should be my numbers for 5x5

sq 205
bp 125
bbr 145
ohp 120
dl 235

the only one i have big doubts about is the OHP, i'll probably do half increments (2.5lbs) instead of full (5lbs) as i already swim 3 hours per week
After that i have to focus on more intensity in my tri training so i'll have to lift less and increase load less often to not burn out.
Many years ago I did a bunch of upper body work and my swimming went to hell. I went from an easy cruise to floundering. Not sure what happened. Maybe set deeper in the water or less flexibility? Stopped working out and swimming recovered. Maybe it was solveable with more practice or coaching. Obviously strong people can be good swimmers.

Many years ago I did a bunch of upper body work and my swimming went to hell. I went from an easy cruise to floundering. Not sure what happened. Maybe set deeper in the water or less flexibility? Stopped working out and swimming recovered. Maybe it was solveable with more practice or coaching. Obviously strong people can be good swimmers.
My hope is that doing strength will help me recruit more of the proper muscles for the swims (esp through OHP and BBR)
This week was the first time that i felt my lats close to cramping after a hard swim workout so theyre waking up but i wanna give them a bit of a nudge
Once i'm done with racing this year i'll move to a "better" strength program. Increase muscle mass from september to end of november, do a december/january cut and then start regular tri training again with just maintenance on the strength side.
I just want to reach certain lifting milestones and maintain; itll put me at being "stronger" than the average while being able to do triathlons at decent pace too.
Just a well rounded athlete.

Back
Top Bottom