Long Way Up! On HD Livewire's... | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Long Way Up! On HD Livewire's...

Shinji Kazama has them beat.

Opportunities don't appear in a vacuum.

These aren't two random dudes who BMW (and Harley) decided to drop a whole bunch of cash for them to go on a motorcycle adventure. Obviously they had enough cachet (or least Ewan does) that these companies saw a quid pro quo in having them represent their brand.

It's easy to say, "yeah, if I had the cash", but they don't acknowledge that these guys worked to get to a point where they were marketable enough.

Better to say, "yeah, I just need to go to acting school, do bit parts in commercials and theater, be an extra on low budget movies, go to countless auditions and battle tens of thousands of other Hollywood Hopefuls, to finally land a juicy role and be noticed by the industry. Then I can capitalize on this fame and leverage my contacts in the film industry to build an Adventure Travel entertainment brand from scratch".

But no, people think it's as easy as, "just give me the money and I would totally do that ride."
Totally agree. If I had his backing, I could be Chris Birch, or Valentino Rossi. Forget about the years of work learning, just give me the cash and watch me win!

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

I don't think this one is a win thing, otherwise the guy riding the internal combustion engine would be waiting at the finish line,
and have to wonder how much fossil fuel was burned in the making of this epic electric voyage.

Ice cream cake.
How wide is the river ? :I and can we build ramps

We're heading to Patagonia and points slightly south in March ( not by motorcycle ) but thought people might be interested in this Netflix series on now

It covers Patagonia where we will spend time and the Atacama and then follows the Andes north through various west coast SA nations.

Parts will be ridden by our intrepid EV riders.

Also of interest to those considering riding South America at some point.

The ride is complete

DEC 16, 2019 at 8:13AM
Sabrina Giacomini
By: Sabrina Giacomini

The boys are back in town.
About a week ago, we tracked Ewan McGregor, Charley Boorman, and their crew somewhere in Central America. The last official spotting was in Guatemala, just south of Mexico. Close to 8,000 miles and roughly 90 days after leaving the southernmost tip of Argentina, the Long Way Up has made it to its final destination. It’s a wrap!

That's going to be a tough ride -- 80 minutes riding, 60 minutes stopped for charging (presuming the charge trucks are LIII). I'm not exactly sure what the point of this is... theater?
Weren't all of their travels to date just theater?

I still give the props to Itchy Boots/Noraly Schoenmaker first. More inspiration there....as far as I'm concerned.

Absolutely, Noraly is a sweetheart, very brave, and a lot nicer to look at than those two mugs.

--You look at that pilot and you have to wonder if HD's adventure bike is being cancelled for an ADV version of the LiveWire.

I don’t know how Noraly does it, she makes the world look like a safe and caring place.

I don’t know how Noraly does it, she makes the world look like a safe and caring place.

It's not? I'm not a good looking woman though.

Looking forward to this coming out

Anyone that has ever tried to accomplish something out of the ordinary has had to face their share of haters trying to minimize their accomplishments and tear them down for something or another; for not being "hardcore" or "authentic" enough.

"$30K Harleys? Try doing it on a 30-year old 50cc Chinese-made bike. *THAT* is *REAL* adventure motorcycling."
"You stayed on the PanAmerican Highway the whole way? Try finding the least direct route through 56 states, 17 Central American countries, riding though snow and quicksand the ENTIRE way etc. *THAT* is *REAL* adventure motorcycling."
"You slept in a tent every night? Try sleeping on the ground with only mud and leaves covering you to keep you warm. *THAT* is *REAL* adventure motorcycling."

The fact is they spent months away from family and friends, they were in the saddle for all of those miles *AND* spent the time to document the trip.

They've accomplished a lot more than the armchair critics sitting behind their computers at home.

They've got my respect.
Not mine. Have you read Robert Fulton's "One man caravan"? Compared to him Ewan and Charlie are on an all inclusive vacation.

Not mine. Have you read Robert Fulton's "One man caravan"? Compared to him Ewan and Charlie are on an all inclusive vacation.

IMO, most of the time, respect vs contempt has its origins in the Rooting For The Underdog and Hatred of the Rich (or anyone better off than us). It's the politics of envy.

I feel that most people attempt these trips according to their means, whether it's on a creaky Chinese 50cc bike, or a $50K electric Harley-Davidson. Nobody is going to purposely sabotage their trip by cheaping out on machinery, safety, comfort or health. Do you forage every evening for bugs and roots and leaves for food, if you can afford to buy bread and cheese at the grocery store?

I think surmounting obstacles like budget is a very admirable trait, but it doesn't take away from the accomplishments from someone else with greater means who did the exact same trip.

I met some travelers from Colombia who had to overcome not just financial adversity, but also had to jump through insane hoops to arrange for visas for every single country they went through, while their peers from Canada, US, UK, Aus just breezed through the Visa-Waiver Programs.

Does it take anything away from travelers from these first-world countries despite their obvious advantage? I don't think so.

BTW I was a Mackkies today, they have a bunch of these bikes on the floor, they look interesting, but haven't sold any. I think they said 1 was sold in the city. Pretty sure I saw it was listed as $37 k....:(

Back
Top Bottom