Long Way Up! On HD Livewire's... | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Long Way Up! On HD Livewire's...

Not to put too much of a damper on this because it is good theatre and they are professional actors, but give me a million-dollar budget, a chase crew swapping batteries that are constantly charged by gas generators in the most remotest parts of the world, Patagonia, and I could do it with my 60-year-old grandmother. It's hardly a true adventure, although they will "manufacture" some situations to create drama. But hey, that's actors and that's entertainment. Should be entertaining nonetheless.

Last edited:
BTW I was a Mackkies today, they have a bunch of these bikes on the floor, they look interesting, but haven't sold any. I think they said 1 was sold in the city. Pretty sure I saw it was listed as $37 k....:(

Yeah, the blue-blood pricing is going to kill that bike. Marketing target can only be high-society green trendies. I think this new CEO at HD will have a low tolerance for it. It either sells over the next two years or it's history.

First three episodes are now out, feeling excited!

It IS entertaining and without a substantive support crew was never going to happen at this point in electric motorcycle development. Even with that there was lots of unexpected adventures and stretches that took me back to riding all winter in uni. Good production well told and I think a feather in Harley's hat ....a much needed one.

Also got a look at what we missed when we had to scamper home from Chile in March with only half our Chile trip complete.

Episode 4 today.
On now for those that can access. Easiest enough to buy a free trial I think.
Ironic the quietest motorcycle road trip ....features Harleys.v ?
Enjoying this episode. Only one thos

Nice bonus....Both Long Way Round and Down are free.

Memories for us on Ep 5, we were in the Atacama in March ...definitely got hit with mild altitude sickness at 15,500'. Just about at the permanent snowline. If we moved slowly was okay,
Screen Shot 2020-10-03 at Oct, 3    2020    12.34.24 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-10-03 at Oct, 3    2020    12.38.06 AM.jpg

We're going back but to the south this time. We got chased home by Covid :(

Scenes of Patagonia in the first couple of episodes were breath-taking (would love to go on a gas bike). The rest, so far, is a logistical headache to find electricity, like trying to find dry firewood in a rain-storm. I'll likely watch to the last episode but not expecting much, especially when they get to Mexico and the USA where there will be sufficient electricity. How they get around the Darien Gap may be interesting but there won't be any issues with electricity on a boat. The first two adventures, Long Way Round and Long Way Down, I enjoyed much more,

It still smells of a bunch of eccentric entertainment millionaires playing and getting us to pay for their enjoyment. Their other two adventures at least gave the illusion that we riders could do it too.

I've been following along with the show and caught the latest episode last night.
Ep 7 Peru
A lot of it is filmed around Machu Picchu.
The views are positively stunning.
I doubt there's a chance that I could ever see this in person but am glad to follow along on their journey.
I'll keep watching.

I've been following along with the show and caught the latest episode last night.
Ep 7 Peru
A lot of it is filmed around Machu Picchu.
The views are positively stunning.
I doubt there's a chance that I could ever see this in person but am glad to follow along on their journey.
I'll keep watching.

I did Peru/Machu Picchu last December.

Peru is a fairly easy country to travel to for us under normal conditions. Direct flight takes around 7-8 hours each way, flight itself was pretty cheap when I went at around $500. Accommodations, intra-country travel, and food are all super reasonable. Similar time zone so no jet lag. To give you an idea of pricing, I had an absolutely unbelievable 3 course meal with lots of wine, restaurant is called Merito, in the bougie area of Lima, total was around $150CAD with a very generous tip.

Most expensive part is Machu Picchu itself. Memory is a bit fuzzy, but the train you saw in Long Way Up is about $100each way from Ollantaytambo, for a one hour ride. Only way to get there outside of hiking. Also entry to the site is about $50.

The main Machu Picchu site was endlessly frustrating as you're just climbing over top of other tourists taking a hacky photo at every step. The hike (there are two, I forget which one I did) as you saw gives you absolutely incredible views and makes the whole thing worthwhile. Otherwise, Peru is an absolutely amazing country, can't recommend it enough.

Episode 10 has an appearance by an ADV rider from Quebec

Wife and I enjoyed it. The trip through Central America was awesome. We had been to some of the same bars, same beaches they stopped at in some places. Their stop in Costa Rica is a place we had been to about three or four times now. Brought back a lot of memories. Great escapism in these weird times.

Wife and I enjoyed it. The trip through Central America was awesome. We had been to some of the same bars, same beaches they stopped at in some places. Their stop in Costa Rica is a place we had been to about three or four times now. Brought back a lot of memories. Great escapism in these weird times.

Wasn't bad, some beautiful scenery, just wish it was longer. They were travelling for three months, which was distilled into 11 hours of tv. Would love a much longer series, even if it includes a lot of tedium and minor parts of their travel.

Minor kvetch. No idea why they spent a third of the last episode building the bus, and then only showed it for a minute or two after. No idea why they even needed the bus, I'm sure they could have found a safe route through Mexico.

Wasn't bad, some beautiful scenery, just wish it was longer. They were travelling for three months, which was distilled into 11 hours of tv. Would love a much longer series, even if it includes a lot of tedium and minor parts of their travel.

Minor kvetch. No idea why they spent a third of the last episode building the bus, and then only showed it for a minute or two after. No idea why they even needed the bus, I'm sure they could have found a safe route through Mexico.

That was a bit weird...what happened to the Rivians? Pretty sure any cartels might have been quite interested in those as trophies if that’s what they were concerned about.

Because David Alexanian is the producer and that was his little project. He was never as excited about the Rivians as he was about that dumb Chicken Bus.

That was a bit weird...what happened to the Rivians? Pretty sure any cartels might have been quite interested in those as trophies if that’s what they were concerned about.

Forgot about that part, the producers were on the bus, so who was driving the Rivians? They don't exactly blend in to typical Mexican traffic.

Because David Alexanian is the producer and that was his little project. He was never as excited about the Rivians as he was about that dumb Chicken Bus.

To be fair I thought the bus was cool but it should have been a bit more than an afterthought. If they had travelled with it the whole way that would have been awesome. The bikes...meh...100 miles a pop before you have to go get the Duracells topped off was distinctly unappealing. Sometimes I don’t like getting off my bike for fuel if I’m in the zone and the tank on mine is huge. I get that it’s a harbinger of the future and I love my tech but that didn’t do anything for me.

The Rivians were neat though. It was a nice bit of promotion for the brand...maybe they broke down in Mexico and they had a contract clause not to show it? Lol

So after watching all the episodes I came away fairly satisfied with the series.

I really like the electric aspect of the trip. The Pan American Highway to Ushuaia is probably the most traveled and documented run in overlanding. Trying to achieve it via electric power added an interesting spin to it. If they had set out on petrol motorcycles, it would have been another "me too" entry (just not in the Harvey Weinstein way). I found myself being very interested in the state of the technology today and the challenges that it faces. I think this documentary is going to stand the test of time as one of the first well-documented attempts at long-distance electric motorcycle or even overland travel.

I test-rode a Zero motorcycle a few years ago. I can honestly say that I am not a fan of electric motorcycles, but I know the direction the industry and the world in general is headed. There's no question in my mind that 20 years from now, there will be more electric vehicles on the road than ICEs, at least in the western world.

My initial impressions during the first couple of episodes was, "OMG, Charley got old!" Compared to the first two series, he was barely in this one from a presence standpoint. He wasn't joking around as much, in fact I don't think he even said that much. Ewan basically carried the entire series from an engagement and narration standpoint. I think more than old age, it was all the accidents and injuries that Charley had accumulated in all that time in between. The first couple of episodes were in the Argentinian winter, so I think he was also suffering from the cold as well. When he was riding dirt, I felt genuinely worried that he'll have a bad off and seriously f-up his leg.

I also got a sense that a lot of time had passed since the two of them spent time together. It felt like two strangers getting to know one another, they didn't have as much chemistry as the first two series, which was something that I really enjoyed - that buddy banter between the two of them, teasing and playing around with each.

In this era of binge-watching, it was a long weekly wait between episodes, so I went back and re-watched LWR and LWD. It's amazing the change that Charley underwent. Not sure you remember, but this was the guy that lit his fart on fire one episode...

Going back and forth between all the series, it is astounding how far the camera technology has come. Helmet cams were so much more clearer, but the game changer for LWU was the drone footage and how it transformed the documentary. However, it also paints an unrealistic picture of what the guys experience on the ground. When you're on a motorcycle, you do not see the same things a drone sees. It's nowhere near as dramatic.

They spent quite a bit of time with the Rivians and the rest of the crew along this journey. I think it influenced a lot of the transportation decisions. The big puzzling direction they took was when they were in Southern Colombia, and they hopped on a plane and then a boat along the coast. Strange why they didn't just head to Cartagena or Bogota and ship everything across the Darien Gap like all Pan American travelers do. And then that whole thing with the Chicken Bus in Mexico. If they didn't want to ride during the night, they could have checked into a hotel instead of spending what... three days retrofitting a Chicken Bus for maybe three nights of travel. Only to have to abandon it at the Mexican border. Another puzzling travel decision.

This was the first LW series that I had actually ridden most of the route before watching, and it struck me how much they sped through all the countries, missing much of the things that gives flavour to Latin America. I know three months is a very short time, but they knew doing that kind of mileage was going to be rushed from the previous two series. These trips are so hyper-focused on mileage and destination that for me, that kind of travel is very unappealing.

I didn't feel that way the first time I watched LWD, but after doing that Africa route and rewatching the series, I was much more critical about their pace and everything they missed. It's almost better watching these docus not having any prior experience, otherwise you just end up shaking your head a lot.

A lot less Claudio in this one. While HD retrofitted those Livewires with a lot of off-road parts, I'm positive that they only gave Claudio a stock Sportster. So he basically did the same route as the other guys on a street bike... He is truly the unspoken hero of the series, doing amazing work on the drone and ground-cam footage.

Charley failing on his wheelie attempts with the Livewire must mean those bikes are super-front-end heavy. Throughout the whole series, they were constantly being passed by other vehicles - due to having to save battery life. How fun is it, really, to be on a motorcycle and have to constantly baby the throttle...? Unless they fix the power density for those batteries, that's always going to be a dealbreaker for me.

I really like the continuity showing Ewan's adopted Mongolian daughter from the first series showing up in this one. Very touching and heartwarming. Also interesting from a gossip-rag perspective when Ewan is reunited with the home-wrecker, Mary Elizabeth Winstead! :D

More than anything, this was quite the commercial for the benefits of using sun-tan lotion. Was constantly trying to fix the colour balance on the TV...

So after watching all the episodes I came away fairly satisfied with the series.

I really like the electric aspect of the trip. The Pan American Highway to Ushuaia is probably the most traveled and documented run in overlanding. Trying to achieve it via electric power added an interesting spin to it. If they had set out on petrol motorcycles, it would have been another "me too" entry (just not in the Harvey Weinstein way). I found myself being very interested in the state of the technology today and the challenges that it faces. I think this documentary is going to stand the test of time as one of the first well-documented attempts at long-distance electric motorcycle or even overland travel.

I test-rode a Zero motorcycle a few years ago. I can honestly say that I am not a fan of electric motorcycles, but I know the direction the industry and the world in general is headed. There's no question in my mind that 20 years from now, there will be more electric vehicles on the road than ICEs, at least in the western world.

My initial impressions during the first couple of episodes was, "OMG, Charley got old!" Compared to the first two series, he was barely in this one from a presence standpoint. He wasn't joking around as much, in fact I don't think he even said that much. Ewan basically carried the entire series from an engagement and narration standpoint. I think more than old age, it was all the accidents and injuries that Charley had accumulated in all that time in between. The first couple of episodes were in the Argentinian winter, so I think he was also suffering from the cold as well. When he was riding dirt, I felt genuinely worried that he'll have a bad off and seriously f-up his leg.

I also got a sense that a lot of time had passed since the two of them spent time together. It felt like two strangers getting to know one another, they didn't have as much chemistry as the first two series, which was something that I really enjoyed - that buddy banter between the two of them, teasing and playing around with each.

In this era of binge-watching, it was a long weekly wait between episodes, so I went back and re-watched LWR and LWD. It's amazing the change that Charley underwent. Not sure you remember, but this was the guy that lit his fart on fire one episode...

Going back and forth between all the series, it is astounding how far the camera technology has come. Helmet cams were so much more clearer, but the game changer for LWU was the drone footage and how it transformed the documentary. However, it also paints an unrealistic picture of what the guys experience on the ground. When you're on a motorcycle, you do not see the same things a drone sees. It's nowhere near as dramatic.

They spent quite a bit of time with the Rivians and the rest of the crew along this journey. I think it influenced a lot of the transportation decisions. The big puzzling direction they took was when they were in Southern Colombia, and they hopped on a plane and then a boat along the coast. Strange why they didn't just head to Cartagena or Bogota and ship everything across the Darien Gap like all Pan American travelers do. And then that whole thing with the Chicken Bus in Mexico. If they didn't want to ride during the night, they could have checked into a hotel instead of spending what... three days retrofitting a Chicken Bus for maybe three nights of travel. Only to have to abandon it at the Mexican border. Another puzzling travel decision.

This was the first LW series that I had actually ridden most of the route before watching, and it struck me how much they sped through all the countries, missing much of the things that gives flavour to Latin America. I know three months is a very short time, but they knew doing that kind of mileage was going to be rushed from the previous two series. These trips are so hyper-focused on mileage and destination that for me, that kind of travel is very unappealing.

I didn't feel that way the first time I watched LWD, but after doing that Africa route and rewatching the series, I was much more critical about their pace and everything they missed. It's almost better watching these docus not having any prior experience, otherwise you just end up shaking your head a lot.

A lot less Claudio in this one. While HD retrofitted those Livewires with a lot of off-road parts, I'm positive that they only gave Claudio a stock Sportster. So he basically did the same route as the other guys on a street bike... He is truly the unspoken hero of the series, doing amazing work on the drone and ground-cam footage.

Charley failing on his wheelie attempts with the Livewire must mean those bikes are super-front-end heavy. Throughout the whole series, they were constantly being passed by other vehicles - due to having to save battery life. How fun is it, really, to be on a motorcycle and have to constantly baby the throttle...? Unless they fix the power density for those batteries, that's always going to be a dealbreaker for me.

I really like the continuity showing Ewan's adopted Mongolian daughter from the first series showing up in this one. Very touching and heartwarming. Also interesting from a gossip-rag perspective when Ewan is reunited with the home-wrecker, Mary Elizabeth Winstead! :D

More than anything, this was quite the commercial for the benefits of using sun-tan lotion. Was constantly trying to fix the colour balance on the TV...
We did the same as you. Binged on the other two series from years ago and yes, Charlie got old. We also binged on Charlie's Dakar series and also the Canadian Frontier series with Charlie.

I quite like him as a presenter. He comes across as a bit of a posh privileged knob at times but he’s quite likeable.

Oddly I liked Ewan more in LWU than the other two. He seemed to have lost his whiny side.

I wonder if they will do another series? Long Way Diagonally or maybe a one off Short Way to the Shops.

Back
Top Bottom