Local Auto Thefts | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Local Auto Thefts

Two factor authentication will not fly IMO. Not because it is ineffective but because the consumer wants things to be easier not harder.

Otherwise the trend would be to just buy a vehicle that has an actual key....
Biometrics. My cheapie phone and pcs have finger and face recognition. I’m guessing these electronics are worth a buck or two.

Biometrics. My cheapie phone and pcs have finger and face recognition. I’m guessing these electronics are worth a buck or two.
Great until it decides you aren't you and you get stuck in the middle of nowhere. Chip keys were the answer but that requires a key.

Sent from the future

My anti theft device:
Marshall-Rabbit-Holes-Corolla-1999.jpg
Stay out of the Walmart parking lots in Brampton. That thing will be gone in 10 seconds.

Or instead of a key, would you conveniencists accept a keycard?
A key card with an active chip, like your Canadian bank card, with the metal thing on the left end of a credit/debit card, is virtually unhackable (in realistic terms) because we can program a unique identifier, with a unique encryption algorithm in a unique hash on both ends, and then make it active... GOOD LUCK SCRIPT KIDDIES... but because it is active not passive, the whole setup is dead till it see's a correct hash... like your bank card works... but the card would have to be in the card reader (no wifi) for the truck to start.
You can can keep all your "conveniences", but you can turn them off by removing the card.

As an aside: re Right to Repair movement.
Broadly speaking, they're stealing late model cars is by rewriting the ECU's entry for the onboard security system, and adding THEIR system to the ECU, ECU is happy, car starts.
If you want your local shop to be able to diagnose and fix your late model car, get used to auto theft. The local shop needs the same access to the ECU as the thieves.
The system has to change.

I'm counting on there not being many geriatric car thieves out there, so I ticked off the time-tested Millennial Anti-Theft Device option when I bought my vehicle:

View attachment 65865
All my cars and trucks have one of those things.

My car is manual so chance of being stolen…as high as my Volt….

Was it this TAG system? This is what insurance said would bring down my premiums when I got new ride last year:

No clue. I only know him in passing as our local PPC candidate. I saw his new Airstream trailer and didn’t know about the truck, but we were chatting about the trailer and the 10k parcels of land up north as he ‘wants to live off the land’ and that’s when he mentioned the truck theft and immobilized.

Back
Top Bottom