Law To Allow Motorcyclists To Run Some Red Lights | GTAMotorcycle.com

Law To Allow Motorcyclists To Run Some Red Lights

killerkeith

Yup...it's gonna happen soon.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2011/08...d-allow-motorcyclists-to-run-some-red-lights/

GENEVA, Ill. (CBS) — If Gov. Pat Quinn goes along, motorcyclists could start ignoring some red lights.

As WBBM Newsradio 780′s Regine Schlesinger reports, motorcyclists and bicyclists in some areas will often pull up to a red light that won’t change to green. The reason is that the embedded sensors that trip the switch to change them don’t detect a vehicle as light as a bicycle or motorcycle, the Daily Herald reports.

That has led to a bill, now on the governor’s desk, which would allow motorcyclists to treat a red light as a stop sign if it doesn’t change to green in a reasonable amount of time, the newspaper reported.
Geneva police Cmdr. Julie Nash said she would be “stunned” if the bill is signed into law, the Daily Herald reported.
Sensor-operated traffic lights are more common on suburban or rural roads. Traffic lights in the city of Chicago are timed rather than sensor-operated.

That has led to a bill, now on the governor’s desk, which would allow motorcyclists to treat a red light as a stop sign if it doesn’t change to green in a reasonable amount of time,

I've always done this, or pull a right and then a U-turn which ever one is safer.

Buddy of mine sat at a red waiting for a left turn once. It was around 1 or 2 in the morning so unlikely that another car would show up where he was. He waited 20 minutes before just going. Hadn't seen one car the entire time.

This happens soooooo much that it makes sense to make it a law to allow us to treat red lights as stop signs.

I wonder what would happen if a bike ran a red (cause it wasn't chaninging) and a red light camera got him.

Buddy of mine sat at a red waiting for a left turn once. It was around 1 or 2 in the morning so unlikely that another car would show up where he was. He waited 20 minutes before just going. Hadn't seen one car the entire time.

Reminds me of the saying, "if a tree falls in a forest and there is no one around to hear it, does it make a sound?" This is similar in that, "if a light stays red and there is no one around to see it, is it green?" Answer is Yes, just like in cottage country where highway traffic lights have strategically been placed in the middle-of-nowhere to help the once a week glut of cottage traffic, these are all "green" at 1 am when there is only blackness around.

What the hell happened to common sense?

I always liked the flashing red/flashing yellow during the low traffic hours.

I believe you're allowed to do that here in Ontario as well.

I've even done it in my car (waited approx 10 minutes) there was no sign of the lights changing. The car on the other side of the red light did the same thing as well.

I do this most of the time. Specifically at this one light coming out of my street, its a newer light and even for cars it takes forever to change, let alone a bike. I dont even wait anymore, as soon as no cars im gone through.

I did this once as well. I felt so silly waiting. Now I actually try to make my routes in the evening/night mostly right turns :p

Turn right and pull a u turn. It's not legal in any way to run a light in Ontario. Nor will it ever be.

One of the guys I ride with said that if a light does not change its considered malfunctioned, therefore you can proceed as stop sign....never done this myself though, but I have asked a motorist to pull up close to me before to help trigger light.

Talking about silly . . .

[video=youtube;Gz5zXVAbh20]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gz5zXVAbh20[/video]

I was expecting the walk symbol to come back on. That's happened to me soooo many times. Such a tease.

hahahhahah!!! oh ****, that made my day!

One of the guys I ride with said that if a light does not change its considered malfunctioned, therefore you can proceed as stop sign....never done this myself though, but I have asked a motorist to pull up close to me before to help trigger light.

Part of the problem with this is: how long do you need to wait for you to know it's malfunctioning? I sat at a light for what seemed like forever. No one else around and I was just about to blast through when it changed.

I think so long as there is no cop to see you, no camera to record you and no traffic to hit you, all lights are green. If any of the previous three conditions are present though, well, then you're screwed regardless of how long you waited.

Thirty seconds is a eternity for me....look both ways and go....do it every night. I know what lights will change and those that don't. Technolgy can't figure this out what a shame.

^...not if there is a concrete median for a couple hundred meters

Light is defective - stop - look both ways - proceed when clear.

and as with others I know most of them that won't change..
You can often tell by the crosswalk to your left or right - if it stays white it's not gonna change for you.

The title is misleading though. It only will apply to lighs with sensors and the rider must wait a reasonable time before proceeding. You are not running a red exactly

Back
Top Bottom