Law Enforcement - The Good, The Bad, The Ugly..... | Page 257 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Law Enforcement - The Good, The Bad, The Ugly.....

Who was in the wrong?

• Cop

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • Dude who got shot

Votes: 31 28.4%
  • I like turtles

Votes: 55 50.5%

• Total voters
Here's a forum relevant one. Super drunk ahole cop did a hit and run on a motorcycle in 2019. Beat DUI with a charter challenge, other charges are still pending and he is still suspended with pay. PSA needs to change.

A York Regional Police officer who was originally charged with drunk driving and dangerous driving causing bodily harm after hitting a motorcyclist had his impairment charge dropped after a successful charter application, as his trial on the remaining charges got underway.

Const. Nathan Coates is charged with hitting Stuart Sweeney while Sweeney rode his motorcycle down Hwy. 7, near York Durham Line, on Sept. 29, 2019 after 7:15 p.m..

Following the crash, in which the Crown suggest Coates crossed the centre line, the Stouffville-based officer is alleged to have fled the scene, only for his Nissan Pathfinder to break down mere kilometres away.

It was at this point that police say he was located by an off-duty tow-truck driver who called police, explaining that Coates was drunk, according to the charter application.

"This guy’s hammered," the document quotes the man as saying.

Coates would later blow 148 mg of alcohol per 100 ml of blood, it further alleges.

These facts have not been tested in court due to the successful charter application.

On June 1, Justice Jonathan Dawe agreed with Coates' defence that the 14-year veteran of the service was treated unfairly by York Regional Police following his arrest because no demand for a breath sample was made prior to Coates speaking to a lawyer.
https://www.thestar.com/local-uxbri...us.html?li_source=LI&li_medium=star_web_ymbii
"In my view, it was not only 'practicable' for (the officer) to make his demand (for a breath sample) before Mr. Coates spoke to duty counsel, but it was essential that he do so to ensure that Mr. Coates could properly obtain legal advice about whether he had to comply with the demand," Dawe wrote in his pre-trial application decision. "I am not satisfied that the Crown has met its burden of establishing that (the officer’s) breath demand, or the warrantless seizure of Mr. Coates' breath sample that followed it, were lawful."

On June 6, Coates' trial got underway, with three of the original four charges remaining, including failure to remain, causing bodily harm while operating a vehicle, and dangerous driving causing bodily harm.

It began with Sweeney testifying how Coates’ vehicle 'aggressively' swerved into his lane across Hwy. 7’s centre line before striking the side of his 2019 Harley Davidson, sending Sweeney skidding into a ditch.

The court also heard an emotional 911 call in which Sweeney, from Pickering, complains to the operator that he could not feel his arm and that his leg was badly damaged.

Sweeny, who used to play triple-A hockey, would later have his left leg amputated above the knee.

In one exchange, Coates’ defence questioned Sweeney if it was possible that he had high beam on or whether it might have been he who crossed the centre line.

"I do not ride with my high beams on," Sweeney told the court, also denying that he crossed the centre line.

The collision happened following a baseball tournament at Milliken Mills Park in Markham.

Coates' teammates from the baseball tournament also appeared in court, each one suggesting they had all been drinking after losing the big game. One man suggested Coates brought a bottle of rum to the game.

The trial also heard lawsuits have been filed against the City of Markham, the baseball association and Coates, who is currently on paid suspension from the police force.

Regardless of the outcome of the trial, Coates, who is from Oshawa, will face a professional standards hearing at York Regional Police.

The trial continues.

Here's a forum relevant one. Super drunk ahole cop did a hit and run on a motorcycle in 2019. Beat DUI with a charter challenge, other charges are still pending and he is still suspended with pay. PSA needs to change.

A York Regional Police officer who was originally charged with drunk driving and dangerous driving causing bodily harm after hitting a motorcyclist had his impairment charge dropped after a successful charter application, as his trial on the remaining charges got underway.

Const. Nathan Coates is charged with hitting Stuart Sweeney while Sweeney rode his motorcycle down Hwy. 7, near York Durham Line, on Sept. 29, 2019 after 7:15 p.m..

Following the crash, in which the Crown suggest Coates crossed the centre line, the Stouffville-based officer is alleged to have fled the scene, only for his Nissan Pathfinder to break down mere kilometres away.

It was at this point that police say he was located by an off-duty tow-truck driver who called police, explaining that Coates was drunk, according to the charter application.

Coates would later blow 148 mg of alcohol per 100 ml of blood, it further alleges.

These facts have not been tested in court due to the successful charter application.

On June 1, Justice Jonathan Dawe agreed with Coates' defence that the 14-year veteran of the service was treated unfairly by York Regional Police following his arrest because no demand for a breath sample was made prior to Coates speaking to a lawyer.
'A party they will never forget': Springtide returns after long COVID hiatus
"In my view, it was not only 'practicable' for (the officer) to make his demand (for a breath sample) before Mr. Coates spoke to duty counsel, but it was essential that he do so to ensure that Mr. Coates could properly obtain legal advice about whether he had to comply with the demand," Dawe wrote in his pre-trial application decision. "I am not satisfied that the Crown has met its burden of establishing that (the officer’s) breath demand, or the warrantless seizure of Mr. Coates' breath sample that followed it, were lawful."

On June 6, Coates' trial got underway, with three of the original four charges remaining, including failure to remain, causing bodily harm while operating a vehicle, and dangerous driving causing bodily harm.

It began with Sweeney testifying how Coates’ vehicle 'aggressively' swerved into his lane across Hwy. 7’s centre line before striking the side of his 2019 Harley Davidson, sending Sweeney skidding into a ditch.

The court also heard an emotional 911 call in which Sweeney, from Pickering, complains to the operator that he could not feel his arm and that his leg was badly damaged.

Sweeny, who used to play triple-A hockey, would later have his left leg amputated above the knee.

In one exchange, Coates’ defence questioned Sweeney if it was possible that he had high beam on or whether it might have been he who crossed the centre line.

"I do not ride with my high beams on," Sweeney told the court, also denying that he crossed the centre line.

The collision happened following a baseball tournament at Milliken Mills Park in Markham.

Coates' teammates from the baseball tournament also appeared in court, each one suggesting they had all been drinking after losing the big game. One man suggested Coates brought a bottle of rum to the game.

The trial also heard lawsuits have been filed against the City of Markham, the baseball association and Coates, who is currently on paid suspension from the police force.

Regardless of the outcome of the trial, Coates, who is from Oshawa, will face a professional standards hearing at York Regional Police.

The trial continues.
The blue bulletproof vest.

I'm not sure but I assume Sweeney has to pay for his own legal team. His insurance will have minimal compensation due to the near criminal destruction of victim compensation by the insurers.

The cop will likely have his union or York region pay for his legal defense and they have obviously earned their pay.

This is disgusting. Like HTA 172 innocent until proven guilty so he keeps his paycheque. If found guilty he pays it back----not going to happen. If they put him behind a desk or polishing the chief's boots he's working and the pay can't be taken back.

If they put him behind a desk or polishing the chief's boots he's working and the pay can't be taken back.

That's not how I would have worded it, but the same sentiment.

'A party they will never forget': Springtide returns after long COVID hiatus

The trial continues.
Several things rub me the wrong way here. First, the YRP brass allows their officers to leave a 'way-out' for their brothers in serious traffic and criminal offenses. If you have ever witnessed a DUI arrest in YRP territory, there are plenty of officers at the scene, when it's one of their own, you can bet a senior officer was there too.

Next, that YRP brass allowed the lesser charges of Failing to Remain at the Scene, and Careless Driving causing bodily harm, both simple traffic offences. If it were you or me we'd be charged with Failing to Stop at the Scene of an Accident, and Dangerous driving causing bodily harm, both criminal offenses that are typically applied to serious hit and runs, especially when an injury is involved.

As a result, this fellow escapes with 2 traffic violations and evades a criminal record thanks to his Blue Blood brothers.

Finally, that this guy gets the customary 3-year vacation with full pay and benefits. Seems like that's a magic timeframe for police forces in Ontario.

Several things rub me the wrong way here. First, the YRP brass allows their officers to leave a 'way-out' for their brothers in serious traffic and criminal offenses. If you have ever witnessed a DUI arrest in YRP territory, there are plenty of officers at the scene, when it's one of their own, you can bet a senior officer was there too.

Next, that YRP brass allowed the lesser charges of Failing to Remain at the Scene, and Careless Driving causing bodily harm, both simple traffic offences. If it were you or me we'd be charged with Failing to Stop at the Scene of an Accident, and Dangerous driving causing bodily harm, both criminal offenses that are typically applied to serious hit and runs, especially when an injury is involved.

As a result, this fellow escapes with 2 traffic violations and evades a criminal record thanks to his Blue Blood brothers.

Finally, that this guy gets the customary 3-year vacation with full pay and benefits. Seems like that's a magic timeframe for police forces in Ontario.
YRP seems to be the most corrupt force lately. They can't get a charge to stick in a major case due to the level of corruption inside and they don't seem to be doing much to change that. Glad I don't live in YR anymore.

On June 1, Justice Jonathan Dawe agreed with Coates' defence that the 14-year veteran of the service was treated unfairly by York Regional Police.
treated unfairly? - this takes the cake!

These theft victims tracked down their stolen cars. But the police didn’t show up​

This reminds me of one of our members not having the police help him recover his bike.

The police really don't care?

They only deal with the important stuff, like showing up after the fact and drawing a reasonably accurate chalk outline around your corpse.

These theft victims tracked down their stolen cars. But the police didn’t show up​

This reminds me of one of our members not having the police help him recover his bike.

They put their personal safety well above property crimes.

They put their personal safety well above property crimes.
I don't understand the situation. These people tracked their own cars and then gave up waiting for the police to show up and left? I would of told the police I found my car . If no officer shows up within a reasonable amount of time. I'm calling a tow truck and getting it towed back home.

I don't understand the situation. These people tracked their own cars and then gave up waiting for the police to show up and left? I would of told the police I found my car . If no officer shows up within a reasonable amount of time. I'm calling a tow truck and getting it towed back home.
I was thinking the same thing why didn't they call a tow truck right away. Police are pretty well useless these days unless you are robbing a Tim Hortons expect no response.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Me three. You're standing in front of your vehicle. The fob has been reprogrammed. You have your phone in your hand. What could you possibly do to take possession of it?

Then they'd arrest you for trespassing or interfering with an investigation or something. They wont do the job but the best way to get your ass handed to you is to do their job for them.

Last edited:
This is one from Kentucky, the guy killed three cops and a K9 before surrendering. Looks like they took him on the Kentucky version of the Cherry Street/Beach Express on the way to the station, maybe I should but in this context I have no problem with the arrest technique--just hopefully it does not get him off. Stop falling down, stop smashing your face against my fist....

1657115526094.png

Last edited:
This is one from Kentucky, the guy killed three cops and a K9 before surrendering. Looks like they took him on the Kentucky version of the Cherry Street/Beach Express on the way to the station, maybe I should but in this context I have no problem with the arrest technique--just hopefully it does not get him off. Stop falling down, stop smashing your face against my fist....

View attachment 56255
This guy: Kills three cops and a dog. Got messed up somewhat, but is alive to face trial.

Jayland Walker: Runs from police, with no visible weapon, and is shot many, many times in the back.

More of this happening every day and it's not tough to do the math.

This guy: Kills three cops and a dog. Got messed up somewhat, but is alive to face trial.

Jayland Walker: Runs from police, with no visible weapon, and is shot many, many times in the back.

More of this happening every day and it's not tough to do the math.
The shocking part was one of the early police reports said they weren't sure how many times he was shot but there were at least 60 wounds. Holy frack. Even a firing squad uses an order of magnitude less bullets than that (and those are the ones that hit, given most cops appalling hit ratio, how many times did they reload).

EDIT:
Apparently 8 police officers fired 90+ shots. I find it hard to believe that on average they were at ~60% hit rate after a foot chase with adrenaline. I suspect the 90+ will actually be a far higher number. It appears the police were issued Glocks but I can't find which one. Probably 17 rounds a gun? ~136 rounds fired without a reload required? Hit with less than half? That seems more likely.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom