Law Enforcement - The Good, The Bad, The Ugly..... | Page 256 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Law Enforcement - The Good, The Bad, The Ugly.....

Who was in the wrong?

• Cop

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • Dude who got shot

Votes: 31 28.4%
  • I like turtles

Votes: 55 50.5%

• Total voters
Another stinker from the SIU. It's almost like they are trying to see how far they can push the limits of the blue line. If I was driving around at 103 in a 60 just because and caused a crash, I would be getting a pile of paperwork to sort out in court (and highly likely that pile included a dangerous driving charge). Precedent that says police on duty are exempt from speed limits regardless of the situation is beyond ridiculous and will cause more bodies.

The province’s Special Investigations Unit has cleared a Peel Regional Police officer of any wrongdoing in a high-speed crash almost four months ago that sent two people to hospital.

In its report, the SIU said the police cruiser was heading to assist an officer with a traffic stop at Bovaird Street East and Sunnyvale Gate when the crash occurred. The evidence showed the cruiser was going almost twice the speed limit without its emergency lights or siren on when it struck a black 4-door Honda Accord that was attempting to make a left turn. Both vehicles had a green light at the time.

The report indicates that the speed at impact was just over 103 km/h, causing significant front end damage to the police cruiser while sending the Honda Accord spinning and onto its roof.

The report also notes that the situation was not one of urgency and that the police officer had not been dispatched to assist, once again raising the question about the “need for such speed” without the use of emergency lights and/or siren.

The report does conclude that police vehicles used in the lawful performance of a police officer’s duty are exempt from speed limits and that both drivers’ actions ultimately contributed to the cause of the crash.
That’s ridiculous. Should be fully charged and tossed out of the force. Even though the other driver turned in front of them…a cop speeding that fast is inexcusable, especially with no signals.

I’m a big fan of asshat cops that turn their lights and sirens on to not wait at a red light, and then promptly turn them off after they pass the intersection.

SIU looks for criminal acts.. not HTA offences. Not saying what happened or the outcome are right.
Seems ripe for a dangerous charge if it was a normal member of the public. That's a criminal charge that directly applies to cruising around over 100 km/h in town and getting into a crash.

If one member gets a HTA charge the rest collectively decide that they will not be laying any HTA charges that they can avoid for a time and that is bad for the bottom line.
The brass just shrug their shoulders. Boys will be boys.

If one member gets a HTA charge the rest collectively decide that they will not be laying any HTA charges that they can avoid for a time and that is bad for the bottom line.
The brass just shrug their shoulders. Boys will be boys.
Raginduck was correct. SIU is prevented by mandate from laying HTA charges. They have an intentionally very narrow scope to give them as many outs as possible while pretending to provide oversight. That is a political problem, not a policing problem.

Raginduck was correct. SIU is prevented by mandate from laying HTA charges. They have an intentionally very narrow scope to give them as many outs as possible while pretending to provide oversight. That is a political problem, not a policing problem.
I was commenting more on police MO here.
If there is a media story about some cop getting a traffic charge watch their agencies public media site. Suddenly their numbers for HTA offenses will drop to near zero. It might be that all the motorists saw the light and learned how to responsibly or perhaps that all traffic enforcement just ceased.

I was commenting more on police MO here.
If there is a media story about some cop getting a traffic charge watch their agencies public media site. Suddenly their numbers for HTA offenses will drop to near zero. It might be that all the motorists saw the light and learned how to responsibly or perhaps that all traffic enforcement just ceased.
Perfect. Great time for a purge. If they want to behave like that, they can try to find a private sector job.

Perfect. Great time for a purge. If they want to behave like that, they can try to find a private sector job.
Given the number of well qualified people I've known who have applied for police positions in Toronto and Peel, and been turned away largely because of the sheer number of other applicants, I don't think that it would be too difficult to refill those positions.

Given the number of well qualified people I've known who have applied for police positions in Toronto and Peel, and been turned away largely because of the sheer number of other applicants, I don't think that it would be too difficult to refill those positions.
Based on the conference today, it's pretty clear that Ramer is not the savior. He has been with TPS for 42 years and can't see the issues. Problem starts right at the beginning. They need to recruit more smart/socially capable officers and fewer meatheads. Sadly when you built the whole recruiting system to keep the IQ down, you can't expect a great workforce when they get deployed.

Here is the Uvalde police swat team
Uvalde is a town of 13,000... AND THEY HAVE A SWAT TEAM... and the Uvalde police force takes 40% of the towns budget.
The Uvalde swat team practiced active shooter scenarios... in the actual school where they had an active shooter.

Stopping parents from running into the school was the right thing to do... but then trying to stop the active shooter would have been the RIGHT thing...but here we are.
Today we have police spokesmen justifying their actions by saying '... but they could have been killed or injured."
The stink is quickly becoming overpowering. Video came out showing cops in the school with rifles and ballistic shields 20 minutes in (so the next 40 minutes were completely pointlessly wasted).

Following that revelation, the top cop in Texas said they could have ended it 3 minutes after it started but they completely failed in their duties. I suspect all off these cops now fear for their lives. They take 40% of the towns budget and in the most critical incident that happens in a year they f*cked the dog for an hour. We'll see what happens. Criminal negligence charges (and convictions) for almost the entire force seem quite reasonable as a start.

Police had enough officers and firepower on the scene of the Uvalde school massacre to have stopped the gunman three minutes after he entered the building, and they would have found the door to the classroom where he was holed up unlocked if they had bothered to check it, the head of the Texas state police testified Tuesday, pronouncing the law enforcement response an “abject failure.”

I don't care if you have on flip-flops and Bermuda shorts, you go in,” Col. Steve McCraw, director of the Texas Department of Public Safety, said in blistering testimony at a state Senate hearing.

TPS race report is out. Ramer apologized as it showed exactly what racialized communities have been complaining about for decades. So they have known it's a problem for decades but they wait for a formal report before apologizing? DTP. What a disaster they are.

Ramer said that the problem isn't any individual officer, it is organizational. That seems unrealistic to me. He also talks about how officers are so progressive and work every day to treat people equally. Like f that's an accurate description. You have a multi-year report of how wrong that is. More lip service and meaningless apologies. He says they have a list of action items but unless one of the action items is a purge, it is just a game designed to buy more time and protect the current batch of losers.

EDIT:
Hahaha. Ramer got ripped a new one during question period. A lady said most of his apology was to his members and not the racialized communities (I agree with her). She also said that they did not ask for nor want an apology, they want real change. This is just another step on the same path and is appalling. Her interpretation "I have been beating and killing you for decades. I am sorry about that but we're going to keep doing it."

Ramer talked about what he considers a success story where an officer was overtly racist and went to tribunal and resigned. He considers that successful. Screw that. Finish the tribunal. Register the conviction (assuming evidence was sufficient) and then fire them. That would have been far more successful. He is completely out of touch with his bar for success.

Ramer was asked what happens if he doesn't meet the goals in a year. What would the consequences be. Ramer deflected as a continuous process with no line where success or failure is evaluated. Did nobody prep him for this conference? He is doing a crap job of instilling any confidence in useful change. He is focusing on consultation and try and deflecting anything from concrete goals that would trigger a purge of ineffective employees.

Ramer said "Given all that we have been trying to do over the last many years, I am disappointed that we are still seeing some issues in 2020 data". Holy frack. You are committed to a process you have been committed to many years that is completely ineffective. Your best path forward is just keep doing it and hope for the best? His job may not survive this press conference.

EDIT 2:

Here's the lady that ripped him giving an interview after. Groups reject TPS apology for discrimination

Beverly Bain. Here is her speech during the press conference. CityNews
Ouch. In the press conference, Ramer specifically said that race based data could not be used to investigate individual officers. The Privacy Commissioner has said that is incorrect. Seems like another attempt by Ramer to avoid police policing themselves.

The Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner of Ontario has issued a statement to “clarify” comments made by Toronto's interim police chief last week as the service released new data that show Black and racialized residents face disproportionate use of force.

At the time, interim Chief James Ramer said the data couldn't be used to investigate the actions of individual officers because the Anti-Racism Act and the privacy commissioner require them to be anonymized.

In its statement, the commissioner's office says it has not indicated that the laws in place prevent police from using the data to “inform the supervision, training and discipline of its police officers.”

Another winner. Stealing evidence and using stolen debit/credit cards to make purchases. Again suspended with pay for the foreseeable future. PSA needs reform asap.

Another 3 year paid leave of absence while tge wheels of police self-justice grind.

I don't know which crime is worse, stealing someone's credit card or stealing $300k in paid leave.

Another 3 year paid leave of absence while tge wheels of police self-justice grind.

I don't know which crime is worse, stealing someone's credit card or stealing $300k in paid leave.
It's not stealing if we give it to them. Politicians stealing from taxpayers through past weakness and current inaction is probably a more accurate description.

... and don't those years of paid absenteeism still count towards their pension? and when/if this is brought to trial they are an X+3 additional years veteran of the police service.

OPP officer sentenced for steering $500,000 in business to tow truck operator featured on reality TV​

Another reason to stop road side seizure. Stop the War on Ontario Drivers Caroline Mulroney!

OPP officer sentenced for steering $500,000 in business to tow truck operator featured on reality TV​

Another reason to stop road side seizure. Stop the War on Ontario Drivers Caroline Mulroney!
Small surprise to those of us who were saying that something like this would happen. They now also need to investigate if the HTA 172 charges were at all founded, and if the officers did profit from this.

Suspended sentence :rolleyes::mad:, what a surprise...and still suspended with pay. Seems to me police corruption and brutality is encouraged in this country.

Back
Top Bottom