June heading west 3 weeks + | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

June heading west 3 weeks +

Oh she’d go. Not on two wheels though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We've done this before in 2015. My son and I with Air Canada to Vancouver and aside from some Dangerous Goods hiccups due to illness of the agent all was smooth. Got the bikes to Pearson Air Canada Air Freight with luggage and contents attached the day before the peronal flight- same as this time - taxiied home.
Last time mine was over the agreed weight but I just ended pulling the top case off and checking it as luggage on our personal flight the next morning and all was well. At the time it was $850 for each bike plus $100 for dangerous goods plus personal flight.
Air Canada cost this year is $1000 for the freight plus then personal flight cost. Not sure if that includes Dangerous Goods fee.

The WestJet cost this year is just a hair under $1000 ($695 US all in including Dangerous Goods ) for the bike plus my ticket on AC which was $307 all in.
My personal flight gets paid entirely on credit card travel points so no out of pocket cost to me.

The nice thing I like, is you arrive out west rested and are on the bike and touring by noon in the mountains.
It's a shorter flight to Calgary this time.
Then come back home with the wind - no small comfort advantage on the prairies at 130-150 kph.
Weather systems move west to east, you have long daylight hours so makes it very easy to stay dry.
Riding the bike west, you punch through systems and into the wind all the way.

The only difference so far is the need for the battery terminal to be disconnected and taped. No biggie on the easily accessed CB500x.
You are allowed one gallon of fuel.

Pick up in Calgary as it was in Vancouver is at the freight area of the airport - a short taxi ride and the bikes were immediately ready to roll ...as mine will be this time. In Calgary, it's Menzies Aviation where the bike is picked up.

I suspect overseas is more complex ...ask Lightcycle for that.
You can save "some" money shipping by truck but there are downsides to that as well. I have friends that have done that.....one headache is that the bikes end up no where near the Airport.

In Canada, your motorcycle comprehensive insurance covers the transport.

Last edited:
Posted this in the wrong spot

Just debating helmet/carry on that now. I can get my camera and computer gear in my pillion bag as carry on no problem. I'm wondering if I can get my knee armor and helmet into a light cloth bag as the other one. Knee armor is bulky
So I have 27 tank bag and two 23 litre top load cases will stay on the bike - that's lots for clothes etc.
I'll wear the bulky Scott jacket then put it in the overhead.
Knee armor fits nicely in one of side cases so that will work for getting there. Just stuff more clothes in the tank bag and and use the pillion bag for the electronics to carry on plus helmet...that'll fly

Just discovered my pillion bag expands like crazy giving me near 30 liters not 20 and has backpack straps - problem solved. That and my helmet for carry on. Tank bag and side cases stay on the bike ?

I was briefly considering my mesh with layers but I'll be lucky to get out of single digits going over the Rogers pass around 2 pm so Scott jacket it is. And some long range indication of rain that day so wet and cold....I'm wearing the cool weather gear that is fully waterproof. At least very long daylight hours to get to the AirBnB where temps look quite nice.

well this is awkward :eek:

Calgary
Rogers pass

Considering putting my hippo hands on the bike. Yup good idea - not hard to rig tho straps are a bit messy but it's universal fit soooo. Controls are clear, easy access with my gauntlets on but I suspect I'll be riding with my heated liners and summer gloves only. It's toasty in there and they are indicated to be waterproof - temp is just okay ...not thrilled about the wet bit.

memories of my 305 Hawk at uni riding all winter

test ride coming up since it's wet tomorrow.

Attachments

• mufffront.jpg
    mufffront.jpg
    562.1 KB · Views: 18
  • muffsback.jpg
    muffsback.jpg
    401.6 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
had to run to the bank and no vehicle so tried out the muffs with the same gear I's be riding in and it was okay. A bit fumbly with the turn signal and left side pressed a bit on my hand from wind pressure on the 403 but nothing of consequence. Might be able to adjust that before I go but felt fine aside from I was cooking in the gear.

Muffs worked fine today on a longer ride tho I would not mind dealing with that bit of pressure but really a non-issue. Tomorrow will tell the tale.

about the bike air travel MD

assuming the bike goes on the same plane?
or do you even know how it gets where it's going?

you just drop it off and they do all the loading/unloading?
the gas level makes sense due to temp/pressure changes
assuming it's rolled in and tied down?
for that price I can't see it getting crated

and agree the portion of Canada between Thunder Bay and Calgary
best vantage point for viewing is from 35,000 ft.

love those mountain forecasts - I was thinking a test run of the rain gear today but ....I'll pass. Still want the muffs on tho just in case ...
it is still going to be chilly across the Rogers Pass and on the way back home through Glacier.

Last edited:
We've done this before in 2015 but with AirCanada and was no hassle cept my kid gunning his FZ8 on a slick cargo floor much to his embarrassment.

We did in 2015 and they recommended this time with West Jet to fly the bike a day early.
Not crated...tied down.

Yes just drop it off,
Ready to ride when I get there ( Menzies is in the cargo area of Calgary Airport ).

Done enough of cold and wet over 50 years of riding but it's actually looking okay now. More worried about my crook shoulder holding out.

decent ride up to Hockley ..just the heated liners on 2 ..would like to sort the wind pressure tho. Might get my wet weather test tho.

sorta thought it done

Somehow managed to dodge that mess.
Lovely out today but too much work but this might be an evening ride. Pulled the muffs - debating taking them as the weather report for the Rogers Pass has improved a whole lot....we'll see...I can always mail them home

26 and sunny ...I'm all in :D

Easy drop off at the Airport - it's on the cargo side and easy access from Dixie Road....had my days wrong ...thought the bike was flying out tomorrow but aside from a bit of extra hustle all is well.
Security didn't know about the 1/4 tank deal ....so that had to be sorted - I suspect Air Canada has it down a bit better.
I had to go back to the airport and drain more fuel from the bike even tho it was only showing a 1/4 tank. The dangerous goods guy passed the bike for flight ....don't know why he was second guessed. Fortunately I had the siphon pump ( really easy to use ).
Might not be a bad thing to take on trips.
350018-2.jpg

Sat06/01
Sunny
1.png

toasty in Calgary then 17 and sun at Rogers Pass.

3 season jacket is the right thing. I am skipping the muffs. Have heated glove liners and my First Gear gortex gauntlet ....I should be fine.

Actually thinking now that I take my Swiss Gear knapsack on the plane and strap it on the pillion. Always useful for shopping etc to have an actual knapsack which has a proper laptop section and I could even take my regular camera bag.
Next stop Calgary....can't wait for some clear mountain air.

Last edited:
'So the adventure begins... Awesome.
Keep us posted on how it goes (y)

I finally decided to go ahead and plan for another trip West... 'Leaving July 15th.
Not flying though... Will ride to Vancouver (and back) with a week long stop in the Okanagan.

Back
Top Bottom