Joe Bass' technology woes thread | Page 23 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Joe Bass' technology woes thread

If you suspect the power cable, do you have another cable or car charger you could use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for all the tips.
Will try tomorrow.

He doesn't want to lose any of the stuff that is on it, so hopefully won't have to reset it.

I don't believe it's a cable issue.
Could be charging port.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Joe,

First thing to try...

Pull the battery and then press and hold the power button for a minimum of 30 seconds to clear any electricity left in the phone components.
Re-install the battery and try to power it up as normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This did not work.

Cleaned the charge port with some dustoff and still not charging.

Will have to try the wireless charging option next.

Not rushing, it's the kid's phone and I seem to care more than he does...maybe because I'm the one that paid for it??

well after a full checkdisk reboot and 20 minutes to get to windows still wants a password.
This came through my email today:

You have a few options:
1) Find somebody with a hot rework station to try and fix it
1a) Look up the ghetto home oven reflow technique - it may create other problems
2) Buy a replacement motherboard on eBay
3) Smash it into pieces

For all options consider copying important **** off the main drive first

because I have mucho time to kill for a few weeks
and the weather is so crap I can't ride
decided to get back to this project

bought a mobo on ebay, got it yesterday, put it in
checked that the numbers matched and very careful install
no bueno...will not POST up

asked seller for an RMA and was surprised with his prompt and agreeable reply
it's on it's way back

put the old mobo back in just to tidy stuff up before tossing this POS
and just for chits and giggles, hit the power button, damn, the thing booted

connected it to the wifi and it ran through 9 months worth of MS update crap
unplugged it, bam, instant off although reporting 96% battery charge

plugged back in and completed the OS and app setups - humming along without skipping a beat
so the issue with this mobo is apparently in the battery circuitry - it is now a desktop

I should really learn me some apple OS and get away from this PC crap
but I just hate that OS

because I have mucho time to kill for a few weeks
and the weather is so crap I can't ride
decided to get back to this project

bought a mobo on ebay, got it yesterday, put it in
checked that the numbers matched and very careful install
no bueno...will not POST up

asked seller for an RMA and was surprised with his prompt and agreeable reply
it's on it's way back

put the old mobo back in just to tidy stuff up before tossing this POS
and just for chits and giggles, hit the power button, damn, the thing booted

connected it to the wifi and it ran through 9 months worth of MS update crap
unplugged it, bam, instant off although reporting 96% battery charge

plugged back in and completed the OS and app setups - humming along without skipping a beat
so the issue with this mobo is apparently in the battery circuitry - it is now a desktop

I should really learn me some apple OS and get away from this PC crap
but I just hate that OS
I wouldnt buy an apple computer right now. They are switching to arm soon and it will be another reset requiring repurchase of all software.

I wouldnt buy an apple computer right now. They are switching to arm soon and it will be another reset requiring repurchase of all software.

just venting a bit, won't buy any i-jewelry

this thing I'm discussing was not cheap, close to the price of an air
but it runs Windows

I will admit I'm married to, and like, MS products and services
I just wish I could find portable PC hardware that is slim and light
but not total garbage

my 7 year old thinkpad has outlived 3 of these skinny and light PC shitboxes

just venting a bit, won't buy any i-jewelry

this thing I'm discussing was not cheap, close to the price of an air
but it runs Windows

I will admit I'm married to, and like, MS products and services
I just wish I could find portable PC hardware that is slim and light
but not total garbage

my 7 year old thinkpad has outlived 3 of these skinny and light PC shitboxes
I hear you. I keep a surface around to use when I need a pen. For real work, the thinkpads (t450s and t490s) blow all of the tablet "computers" out of the water. The 450 was still working well but it is old and I found the 490 at a good price. 450 has a removable battery so for a weekend away I dont need a charger.

Reactions: J_F
Ok need advice or knowledge. Heather needs wants a newer lighter 24 inch monitor for work purposes. I picked up a Vardidesk standing desk and the current 24 lcd is 23 lb and no speakers. I had to remove the 37 inch tv i was using to fit the desk unit in. I want a 24 with speakers.

So who is using what or likes what models she also feels or 24 is to big.

This is the current front runner as it has an audio port.

https://www.costco.ca/aoc-24g2e5-24-in.-fhd-ips-monitor-with-amd-freesync-(1920-×-1080).product.100667387.html

Ok need advice or knowledge. Heather needs wants a newer lighter 24 inch monitor for work purposes. I picked up a Vardidesk standing desk and the current 24 lcd is 23 lb and no speakers. I had to remove the 37 inch tv i was using to fit the desk unit in. I want a 24 with speakers.

So who is using what or likes what models she also feels or 24 is to big.
Slightly confusing post. Does the desk have a weight limit that is causing you issues?

I wouldn't get any monitors smaller than 24 these days. What is she using the monitor for? Bigger (than 24) can be better in some situations, worse in others. Other than a severe space limitation, I dont see an upside to smaller than 24.

For the main setup at home I am using 2x24" (Dell ultrasharp) and 2x42" 4K (sony X7xx). The sonys are TVs so they have speakers but are not the best as primary monitors, I use them to throw reference documents on or video or whatever and work primarily on the ultrasharps. Dell/lenovo normally sell speaker modules that can be mounted on their monitors.

Her current 24" LCD is 23 lbs??? Wow. The sony 42" are similar weight.

Last edited:
This is the current front runner as it has an audio port.

https://www.costco.ca/aoc-24g2e5-24-in.-fhd-ips-monitor-with-amd-freesync-(1920-×-1080).product.100667387.html
Fyi I just noticed that Costco now has a "buy online pick up in store option".
Not sure how it works, but might save you a few bucks.

She feels that over 24
Slightly confusing post. Does the desk have a weight limit that is causing you issues?

I wouldn't get any monitors smaller than 24 these days. What is she using the monitor for? Bigger (than 24) can be better in some situations, worse in others. Other than a severe space limitation, I dont see an upside to smaller than 24.

For the main setup at home I am using 2x24" (Dell ultrasharp) and 2x42" 4K (sony X7xx). The sonys are TVs so they have speakers but are not the best as primary monitors, I use them to throw reference documents on or video or whatever and work primarily on the ultrasharps. Dell/lenovo normally sell speaker modules that can be mounted on their monitors.
we started with the 37 inch but to big and a sore neck. Then a 19 inch I had but to small. The 24 seems good. The standing desk unit is manually operated so lighter is better. I would like built in speakers or an audio port to keep everything on the desktop since my gaming pc is on the floor. Then I only have to move one HDMI cable when switching from her laptop to my pc. Her company is doing a $250 electronics gift ? To cover this. They also did a $500 wellness to cover a desk or chair.

acer xv240y for $279. Height adjustments and built in speakers. Plus a bunch of user friendly new stuff to make long term use easier on the user. Also 11 lb so about half the weight.

Now time to move the 37 lcd toshiba to a new home.

I have a monitor at home with built-in speakers. I got it thinking "great, no need for external speakers on the (small) desk." They sound like crap, and even on the loudest setting, if there's any background noise, they are hard to hear. I don't remember the brand, but I could check when I get home. Right now I have a set of headphones plugged in and use them. If you're using this set-up for meetings, you might not want the speakers on anyway. Just a warning, that you should test listen before purchasing. I wish I had.

We ended up buying a 24 no speakers but tilt swivel and height adjustable has headphones out jack. At $180 delivered enough left over for decent speakers

More important as her work pc.
I have a pair of AOC 27" Freesync, which are decent, but gaming refresh rates aren't "perfect", with the 1080 Ti. The "audio" port on mine is an earbud jack, that may only work when the HDMI is used. I'm too lazy to look up if DP sends sound. I looked at the ones I have(27G1), but the price seems to have gone up by $100. My wife is using a 21" AOC for work, that I got for just over $100 a few years ago. It's also 1ms.

DisplayPort and HDMI both carry sound. If the 3.5mm TRS jack is designated for earphones, it should still work as a line out - just don't expect it to drive unpowered speakers

Back
Top Bottom