Is it necessary to get a 400cc motorcycle with abs? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Is it necessary to get a 400cc motorcycle with abs?

It will be great from a safety standpoint. Displacement won't stop you from not locking your wheels.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

ABS is one of those things you hope you never need because it really does mean you messed up,
or you are just trying to slide the rear tire intentionally.

I've never had it but I wouldn't mind having it either. Just never bought a bike new/expensive enough to get it. ;)

Hey aren't you the guy buying a GSX250R lol stick with that plan, learn to ride good and you won't need a 400 with ABS for a while ;)
... and no it isn't necessary or thousands of us would not be here, ABS is a relatively new nanny feature.

Nanny feature?

It’s needed more on a bike than your car. It’s not new or necessary, but sure helps when you need to brake hard on a slick road. Great feature for a new rider to have. It’s a cheap technology that increases safety 10 fold on a bike. Why not get it if you can.

I started on a 300 and had a few close calls where I skidded and fish tailed but didn't rear end the car in front. I think if you ride smart you won't really need it, but definitely nice to have it for those close calls.

100 KMH is the same on any bike, regardless of the displacement. You can certainly do without it but it's nice to have.

Another vote for very nice to have. Its never a bad thing unless you are a future pro racer or stunter but that is a discussion for your next bike and not your first. It is because it is Ontario that you should get ABS with our craptastic road surfaces and nonexistent road maintenance. On any modern motorcycle, if you felt ABS engage, then you were probably doing it wrong.

It's like insurance....hope you don't need it, but when you do....it's there.

I recommend it, especially for new riders as it's another tool in your toolbox to keep you on 2 wheels instead of laying on the ground. I've had it on a few of my bikes, and it sure helped when you hit the brakes and the surface isn't perfect.

its like a seatbelt , 99.9% of the time you don't need that either, its for when you do. it will eventually be on every road bike sold, its not a bad thing.

Lots of old dudes and weekday track stars will tell you just learn how to ride, you dont need it, nanny device. its what you want while your learning to ride.

before the inhouse geniuses comeback, a few publications did trackday testing with ABS vs nonABS. It made average riders a bit better on lap times and had almost no effect on pro level riders. Do the quick math on actual pro level racers on the planet vs all thye other riders.

... and then one day the ABS service light starts blinking.
Refer to the additional 30 pages in your service manual.

... and then one day the ABS service light starts blinking.
Refer to the additional 30 pages in your service manual.
Odd statement coming from someone who bought exotic.

Odd statement coming from someone who bought exotic.
No ABS here on any of my bikes.

People seem to over-look the service aspects and failure potential of the far more complex braking systems, now entering their 10th. ABS design generation, that is why I mention it.

not a lot of 400's sold these days?
is this the ninja, OP?

If looking at that bike then yeah I'd get the ABS
for safety and for re-sale concerns

No ABS here on any of my bikes.

People seem to over-look the service aspects and failure potential of the far more complex braking systems, now entering their 10th. ABS design generation, that is why I mention it.
That's why we have mechanics and why they in turn make a healthy living.

Can't say i've ever met a rider who had an ABS system 'fault'. I'm sure it exists but i'll bet dollars to doughnuts the % is barely worth reporting.

That's why we have mechanics and why they in turn make a healthy living.

Can't say i've ever met a rider who had an ABS system 'fault'. I'm sure it exists but i'll bet dollars to doughnuts the % is barely worth reporting.
Me.I put metallic brakepads in the wing a few years ago. The brake dust would accumulate on the sensors and cause a fault error turning the system off.I dealt with it for one summer and then switched back to oem. No more faults.
On a related note, my Tacoma has a really stupid built in fault. If the ecu detects a minor fault, after a certain number of kilometers it will shut down certain systems. My son in law borrowed the truck, filled it with gas but didn't tighten the cap. Next day, i take the truck out on icy roads and the check engine light comes on in the middle of a sweeping turn simultaneously shutting off the traction control. Doughnut!

Last edited:
Never had ABS on my first few bikes. But I decided that on my next ..current bike that I wanted ABS. Why not not take advantage of new technology that helps you when needed. I have only noticed the ABS kick in once when I came to hard stop on a rural road that had gravel. I wasn't prepared for it. It may have saved me from a potential drop. Another situation where it may have good use is for when you are comming to a stop at an intersection where there may be oil on the ground that you are not expecting. I realize that alot of these scenarios can be managed by riding better and being prepared for the worst. But I'm sure that even some of the experienced riders here have had moments where they may not have been paying attention or considering all possible hazards. To me having ABS is no different than wearing the latest safety gear e.g. jackets, pants etc. I'm sure 50 years ago people rode without any safety gear and most people may have been fine. But if the option to use something is there that is affordable and provides you with more safety . Then why not take advantage of it.

Back
Top Bottom