Is being nervous on a bike normal? Or a sign to get off lol | GTAMotorcycle.com

Is being nervous on a bike normal? Or a sign to get off lol

RocketON

Hi everybody, I am really new to riding, my experience is about 25-30 hours on a bike and it was done on a controlled parking lot through the College course.

I'm planning on buying the 2011 CBR 250, but am unsure about it. I have only had experience with a 125CBR. I don't know if this is normal but I get a bit anxious before I get on a bike, but it doesn't stop me from getting on.

I'm also a bit concerned about buying the bike from the dealership and driving it home, it would be my first time riding with traffic.

Maybe I'm just a big wimp HAHAHA

It's fine to be nervous, but try not to let it affect your riding. I bought my first bike this year (Rebel 250), and the first time I had ever been on a motorcycle was when i rode it home from the storage facility. I had a buddy follow behind me in his car to try to run defense for me (in case of a stall or a wipeout, i would have some random cager behind me not paying attention and ready to rear-end/run me over). At least you have the course under your belt. And don't forget, at some point you will have to ride in traffic for the first time.

I agree, your being a bit of a wimp lol j/k. I'd say go with the 250... they aren't that powerful (relative....) but you stand a chance at not getting bored by it also. I have my my 250 for 2 years and I still love it. If you are really that nervous about taking it home, ask someone to take it for you. If you got a buddy with their license, it isn't the end of the world to drive with them to get it, have them take it to your house and you can work at your own pace working into traffic situations. or.... Just Do It! enjoy your new ride and hopefully will see you around!

Can they deliver? If not practice in the parking lot a bit to get used to where the clutch engages. And I like already mentioned, it would be cool to have a friend follow you in their car. That way if you stall you don't have some obnoxious jerk honking and swearing at you.

Can they deliver? If not practice in the parking lot a bit to get used to where the clutch engages. And I like already mentioned, it would be cool to have a friend follow you in their car. That way if you stall you don't have some obnoxious jerk honking and swearing at you.

That's how I got started.. My first couple of times out were with my friend running sweep in her Legacy. Helped me gain the confidence before graduating to riding solo around the neighborhood, riding a bit further out with some understanding/helpful experienced riders and finally going on my first group ride.

i feel same too. i've rode CBR125R majority of the time (like...90%) at RTI's MSF course. i just want a casual commuter bike so i'll be fine w/ 125. actually, reason is i'm broke so i want minimum insurance cost too lol. i thought 125 would be toooo small/weak for my adrenaline-seeking life...but at the msf course, i was surprised how much power it can actually generate.

I've had all but one of my bikes delivered. But by a good friend with a pickup truck. The one I didn't have delivered I drove to his place, adjusted the bike and then practiced in a parking lot before leaving.

Absolutely normal to be nervous. Get a friend or two to go pick up the bike with you. You'll feel better.

Hi everybody, I am really new to riding, my experience is about 25-30 hours on a bike and it was done on a controlled parking lot through the College course.

I'm planning on buying the 2011 CBR 250, but am unsure about it. I have only had experience with a 125CBR. I don't know if this is normal but I get a bit anxious before I get on a bike, but it doesn't stop me from getting on.

I'm also a bit concerned about buying the bike from the dealership and driving it home, it would be my first time riding with traffic.

Maybe I'm just a big wimp HAHAHA

That's perfectly normal, I had to drive my first bike from Ajax to scarborough in traffic and I was sh!##ing bricks. try to relax a little and go for a good 30 minutes practice in a parking lot or an industrial area before you go home. Try to ride everyday For a good half an hour, and before the end of the week you will be breaking that ice between you an your loved one 'bike'. Good luck.

There will be times when your little voice will say don't ride today and it will be right.
Eventually your nervousness will turn to complacency and then to arrogance.
Watch out when you start getting cocky, the chances of an accident are at their peak then.

Being a "bit" anxious is not necessarily a bad thing. It can keep you alert and on your toes. But do try to stay relaxed and don't let the anxiety control you.

Highly recommend you find some biking friends to ride with. It'll build up your confidence when starting out. It certainly worked for me today!

There will be times when your little voice will say don't ride today and it will be right.
Eventually your nervousness will turn to complacency and then to arrogance.
Watch out when you start getting cocky, the chances of an accident are at their peak then.

+1
However when the shop owner dropped off the bike and I still had to ride it home, I felt overwhelmed, I felt that riding is not for me, I felt I should call it quits, I thankfully didn't listen to those voices. It is all in your head, be realistic, be afraid and careful every single ride.

Although, I wasn't cocky when I went down, I was an inexperienced noob who made a mistake, and man did it hurt. It still does.

Being a "bit" anxious is not necessarily a bad thing. It can keep you alert and on your toes. But do try to stay relaxed and don't let the anxiety control you.

Highly recommend you find some biking friends to ride with. It'll build up your confidence when starting out. It certainly worked for me today!

The MSF course strongly suggests that you don't join a group ride just yet. I suggest to the op to just go do his own thing, do the noob things, flintstone the bike every traffic light till you get your balance, screw ups that no one sees teaches you a lot but in a group setting there is this added pressure of "do I look like an idiot yet?"

Nice post....

I'm not gonna lie; I was nervous about riding when I was a rookie. So what I did was to try and stay away from traffic as much as I could: I mapped out routes; paid attention to the time of day I was riding; practised at night on the road; it's perfectly normal to be weary the first few times but you'll get over it.

Just remember watch your lane position and know whether or not drivers see you. If youre not sure give that car room to do something dumb; basically give em' space. The nervousness will go away once you get the hang of it.

The MSF course strongly suggests that you don't join a group ride just yet. I suggest to the op to just go do his own thing, do the noob things, flintstone the bike every traffic light till you get your balance, screw ups that no one sees teaches you a lot but in a group setting there is this added pressure of "do I look like an idiot yet?"

I think it depends on who you're riding with. We had a lead who knew where and when to go. We also had a trailer who made sure everybody was still in the pack. At no point did I feel pressured.

If your riding buddies pressure or criticize you (knowing that you're a beginner) then they are probably not worth riding with or being friends with.

I felt safer riding with my group knowing that I had people to look out for me should anything happen.

But I do agree with riding a couple circles around your block before hitting the main roads and hooking up with other riders.

Last edited:
It's normal. The Honda 250 is available with ABS, correct? If you're ever going to ride in the rain, you should get that option. Heck, even if you don't it could save your butt one day if someone makes a left in front of you.

If ABS isn't something you want I'd suggest a used bike as your first. You lose a little less money that way if you decide to upgrade soon or if you drop it (which is fairly likely).

Make sure you get good gear including leg protection. Most jeans don't hold up at all at any kind of speed.

Be careful in traffic/on the street. Riding at speed is a lot different than riding in a parking lot IMO and traffic complicates it even more.

I was a bit nervous at first, but just ride around in a circle to get used to starting from a stop and not dragging your feet, getting used to the friction zone on your bike and your throttling. Once you realize that you're not going to fly into space if you give it a little too much throttle while going start going around the neighbourhood (at night) doing stop-left turn, stop-right turn as much as you can, and then when you feel more confident making turns from a stop within the lines go out a bit onto the main roads. Your confidence while on the bike grows quickly.

Then if you want a taste of traffic choose a place not too far away, but with minimal turns, or minimal turns onto big roads.

For me I felt more at ease riding with a group because we were more visible and had more eyes looking out for stuff, and 3/4 of us are fairly new. Definitely having a friend stalk you in a car will make you feel less pressured.

Also, ignore tail gaters or trying to keep up with traffic if you're uncomfortable with the speed at first. It might be a little unsafe to be going too slow and piss people off behind you but it's better than wiping out or going off the road because you were going faster than you can handle because you didn't want to hold up traffic.

That's perfectly normal, I had to drive my first bike from Ajax to scarborough in traffic and I was sh!##ing bricks.

For me I felt more at ease riding with a group because we were more visible and had more eyes looking out for stuff, and 3/4 of us are fairly new. Definitely having a friend stalk you in a car will make you feel less pressured.

+1
However when the shop owner dropped off the bike and I still had to ride it home, I felt overwhelmed, I felt that riding is not for me, I felt I should call it quits, I thankfully didn't listen to those voices.

Absolutely normal to be nervous. Get a friend or two to go pick up the bike with you. You'll feel better.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I think when I buy the bike (which will be in the next few weeks) I'll have to ask someone to drop me off and they'll follow behind me. As far as getting arrogant on a bike, I don't think that will happen...all of the cockiness disappeared when I stalled over 100 times during the course. Well glad to know that I'm not the only who is (was) a little intimated by a 125CC bike haha.

Your in Barrie rite? If you want some company to go pick it up at the dealer let me know I'll wing man ya.

Ya I'm in Barrie, I noticed from what I can see, there aren't a lot of group rides?

Back
Top Bottom