Is being nervous on a bike normal? Or a sign to get off lol | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Is being nervous on a bike normal? Or a sign to get off lol

I have just recently topped 3000km's on my bike. I would say I was brick ******** nervous the first 100km, then just pants wetting nervous the next 400kms. I'm still consciously nervous of everyone around me, not so much of the bike anymore.

I got my Ninja 250r last year. I was a little nervous my first few rides (especially in traffic). However, that should disappear. You are the only one who can accurately monitor your feelings about riding a motorcycle. Based on what you've said I think it's just normal nervousness. However, anxiety is another thing that you should monitor. Good luck and ride safe.

Its certainly a bit normal, I took my course last summer and then didn't get a bike due to insurance costs. This summer I purchased a bike off a buddy, and it was a lot bigger than what I had used at the course. Had to bring it from King City down to the Waterfront on my first ride with it to take it home. Buddy was supposed to follow me back but it didn't work out that way. Lucky for me there was some side roads until I hit the city. Was nervous, but the course actually has prepared you pretty good. Remember your skills, and don't be afraid to pull off the road and take a breather if its overwhelming! Good luck, ride safe and enjoy! You'll get more comfortable with every KM!

I rode my zx6r in my garage underground parking lot (it was one level so there wasnt much traffic, if any at all) a few times before I got comfy enough to ride on the road. Then I just did it... you need to make sure you're confident. If you're scared, don't ride. Nervous is ok as long as it's not fear. Once you get scared you're going to make a stupid mistake. If you've taken and passed the course with flying colours you will be fine. Take a few minutes at the dealership to ride back and forth in the parking lot to get a feel for the clutch and brake.

Ya I'm in Barrie, I noticed from what I can see, there aren't a lot of group rides?
Seasons just getting going, we meet Thursday nights and now that's it's warmer we will be riding. There ate also allot of weekend rides that are not posted. Show up on the Thursday in your cage and say hello.

I feel where u are coming frm cause I was hella nervous taking the bike out on my own as well. I would just build up some confidence on inside streets with the new bike and within an hour or so u should be good to hit the street. Enjoy ur new ride!

being nervious is normal! no worries! my suggestion is get something used like a 250 ninja! so when you do drop the bike you have nothing to worry about! I was nervious on jumping on the bike for the first time after buying it! but i took it around the small streets in my neighbourhood at night where theres no traffic! Take it easy and until you feel confortable!

Everyone gets nervous the first time. Go about in stages. If you live in an apartment, just start off in the parking lot or driveway if you live in the house. Try to go a few feet foward in first without stalling and before having to switch to second. Rinse repeat till you've got the clutch thing down. Next stage is taking turns at low speeds. If in a parking lot trying going in ovals or if you live in house just go down your street and circle back. Once you're confident take it to the main roads and circle your block and finally the highway when you've had enough experience.

When i had the 250 i nearly dropped it twice but that was from a standing position. I let the clutch slip and power to the throttle nearly set my bike flying from underneath me. Always have a firm grip on your clutch, relax the throttle hand when at a standstill or put it in neutral.

its normal, I spent a month just driving around my residential area (its quiet) when I first learned to ride. Low speed driving is the best practise (shifting, stopping, signaling), but also the hardest to get seamless.

Nervous is ok, but stick to low-speed areas until you are no longer fearful. Multiple times I've seen new riders riding beyond their ability in a "feared" state, especially on a group ride, who've crashed. RIDE AT YOUR OWN SPEED! never try to "keep up" with others, let them slow down instead. If they don't, get new friends.

Also get some frame sliders for the bike, esp. if your buying a brand new one, you'll be really upset when you slide (not if). Everyone slides, just make sure your wearing full safety gear. They won't prevent scratches on a slide, but they will hopefully stop scratching if you drop it at a standstill

If I'm nervous, sometimes I get off to calm myself down then I'm all good to go and able to focus more...

Honestly, being nervous is normal for a while. I still get nervous at the start of every race, but after the initial first lap frenzy I'm in my happy place.

Someone in here stated something about the little voice in your head saying no... Listen to it. I've had days where riding just wasn't going well, so I went back home and found something else to do.

When I did the college course I was nervous myself. I never rode a bike before and knew nothing about them. Even after the second day I was so nervous I thought that motorcycling wouldn't be for me. But after I got on my own bike (Ninja 250) and rode around the neighborhood I started to feel real comfortable. I found my bike A LOT easier to ride than the dirt bike I used on the course. Right now it has been about 2 months since I did the course. I have already put over 2000km on my bike and loving every minute of it!

Hi everybody, I am really new to riding, my experience is about 25-30 hours on a bike and it was done on a controlled parking lot through the College course.

I'm planning on buying the 2011 CBR 250, but am unsure about it. I have only had experience with a 125CBR. I don't know if this is normal but I get a bit anxious before I get on a bike, but it doesn't stop me from getting on.

I'm also a bit concerned about buying the bike from the dealership and driving it home, it would be my first time riding with traffic.

Maybe I'm just a big wimp HAHAHA

How's your common sense? (Answer: Not good means get off the bike).
How's your cage driving ability? How many accidents? (Answer: Not good means get off the bike).
Keep track of close calls on the bike. If you have a lot of them, they are a warning to get off and stay off.

Fear is bad. Caution is good. Cockiness is death.

Have fun on your bike:)

I agree, your being a bit of a wimp lol j/k. I'd say go with the 250... they aren't that powerful (relative....) but you stand a chance at not getting bored by it also. I have my my 250 for 2 years and I still love it. If you are really that nervous about taking it home, ask someone to take it for you. If you got a buddy with their license, it isn't the end of the world to drive with them to get it, have them take it to your house and you can work at your own pace working into traffic situations. or.... Just Do It! enjoy your new ride and hopefully will see you around!

I did this for my friend. I had mine picked up as well as it was from New Market and really too cold to ride. Rode my bike in my area til I felt more comfortable riding on major roads. It's very normal to be nervous doing something you aren't used to. Just like when you first learn how to drive.

Completely normal ... a little nervousness is a good thing and keeps us sharp. I bought a 250 last month and when it was time to bring her home I asked a friend to pick it up for me and I followed him home. The dealership was down by the Lakeshore and I'm at Yonge and Eg so there was no way I was going to battle Saturday traffic as a noob.

I'm still trucking around my neighbourhood getting a good feel for the bike. Every time I go out I get a confidence boost and it won't be long before I'm comfortable taking it just about anywhere. Next step for me is to find a riding buddy in my area then noob-tolerant riders for weekend rides.

Give yourself time and take it slow. Best of luck!

i was a little nervous on my 250 the first couple times out, but since I already knew the basics like throttle control, clutch and shifting from previous atv experience I could concentrate more on riding. I think i was more nervous the first time I rode a proper supersport last weekend than I ever was riding my bike. after a couple minutes I was good tho.

Oh, and there's a thread in the weekly meets section for Barrie riders, regular Thursday night meets at the Tims at Fairview and Essa @ 7pm. If you can't find it, pm me and I"ll link you

How's your common sense? (Answer: Not good means get off the bike).
How's your cage driving ability? How many accidents? (Answer: Not good means get off the bike).
Keep track of close calls on the bike. If you have a lot of them, they are a warning to get off and stay off.

Fear is bad. Caution is good. Cockiness is death.

Have fun on your bike:)

Nice post, very nicely worded!

Nice post, very nicely worded!

I play a little game with myself. Think of it as a video game where you only get one life.
The idea of the game is to always know where everyone is around you. You get a strike against you if a vehicle ever catches you by surprise. (eg. Comes up beside you without you being aware of him).
It helps me alot. At the end of the ride, ask yourself if you had any close calls or had any surprises. You win if the ride went trouble free. This teaches you to watch your six (use your mirrors).
I also watch youtube videos of accidents. See if you can figure out how the accident could be avoided. Watching a horrible crash keeps me humble and full of respect (not fear) for motorcycling.
Ellie

Last edited:
This sounds more like a chore then just enjoying the ride.
I agree being safe and aware of your surroundings, but when it consumes your ride the enjoyment of being free is gone.
Riding a bike is about the freedom of it, when you have that much worry about it it becomes stressful and unenjoyable.

I play a little game with myself. Think of it as a video game where you only get one life.
The idea of the game is to always know where everyone is around you. You get a strike against you if a vehicle ever catches you by surprise. (eg. Comes up beside you without you being aware of him).
It helps me alot. At the end of the ride, ask yourself if you had any close calls or had any surprises. You win if the ride went trouble free. This teaches you to watch your six (use your mirrors).
I also watch youtube videos of accidents. See if you can figure out how the accident could be avoided. Watching a horrible crash keeps me humble and full of respect (not fear) for motorcycling.
Ellie

Back
Top Bottom