How to save money in 2011 | GTAMotorcycle.com

How to save money in 2011

87m6chris

Thought it might be interesting to start a thread about money. We all spend too much and certainly we all get charged too much. What tricks, plans, strategies, offers, deals
have you found or use to keep costs down? These could be practices that you have used for a long time or just found out about.
Just within the last few days on this forum I have read about securing a cell phone number and paying pennys a month to maintain it, credit cards with .9% interest fees,
both were news to me.
Lets hear what you do to not pay in the first place, but please, no "tuna on sale at Save on Foods"

Thought it might be interesting to start a thread about money. We all spend too much and certainly we all get charged too much. What tricks, plans, strategies, offers, deals
have you found or use to keep costs down? These could be practices that you have used for a long time or just found out about.
Just within the last few days on this forum I have read about securing a cell phone number and paying pennys a month to maintain it, credit cards with .9% interest fees,
both were news to me.
Lets hear what you do to not pay in the first place, but please, no "tuna on sale at Save on Foods"

I like this idea!!
Ok I'll add my trick. Add at least $2 to my visa everyday... It adds an extra boost to my regular payments. And I figure it's like a coffee everyday so shouldn't hurt too much.

Not being a master tactition I rely on living below my means and collecting rent. Oh, I do all my own house, car and motorcycle repairs. No drink, smoke or drugs. Just swimming in the cake. Damn, to much info.

I get a double espresso and add milk to it, instead of getting a latte at Starbucks and save $2-3.

A lot of people seem to have serious issues getting out of high interest credit card balances.

If you have high interest credit card debt but haven't totally wrecked your credit rating by missing payments, sign up for the various credit card offers that come in the mail every now and then offering super low interest rates. These rates can be as low as 0%, though 1.9 and 2.9% are more common.

Once your new card is in hand, get a cash advance on it to pay off the high interest debt on your original credit card. Do not use the new card for anything but loading up that one-time cash advance.

On a $10,000 19% credit card debt transferred to a low 1.9% promotional rate credit card, instead of paying $160 a month in interest, you'll now be paying $15. Note - on some (not all) cards you'll also pay a one-time cash advance fee of 1%, or $100 on $10,000, but that's still less than the interest you were paying before at 19%, and the service fee is applied only for just the first month.

Once paid off, use your original card for nothing but day to day purchases and pay off the balance at the end of each month. This does a couple of things - 1) it means you'll pay no interest charges, and 2) the paid off balance may improve your chances of getting promotional cash-advance rates on the card too.

After paying off the original card's balance at the end of each month, take whatever extra money you have and use that to pay against the card you loaded-up. Don't fall into a minimum payment trap again, which is how many people get sucked into credit card debt in the first place. If you're smart, you'll pay at least your interest savings back against the loaded-up card. The goal is to pay it down as fast as you can.

A few months down the road, apply for another card offering low promotional rates, but do not use it. Put it on the shelf beside the current loaded-up card.

When the promotional rate on your loaded-up card is about to expire, see which of the other two cards is offering the best promotional rate. That will become your newly-loaded up card. Write yourself a cash advance cheque sufficient to pay off the card whose promotional rate is about to expire, and then pay off that card with the cash advance. Now put that newly-loaded-up card on the shelf beside the one you just paid off, and repeat the cycle in 6 to 18 months.

If you're disciplined about not using the two cards for anything else, the interest savings will quickly wipe out your original debt. Caveat - if you're not disciplined enough, this will just bury you in deeper.

I buy my own beans and grind them at home instead of buying coffee when out

Honest to God how do some people make it thru the day? Turbos strategies should be common knowledge to anybody that's not a shut in and even then there's hardly any excuse. ITS YOUR MONEY, don't give it away so easily. Jeeeez

I know a high school teacher that made minimum payments on a high rate card. "She didn't "get it" The fact that she's married to a brother shames me deeply. Arrgh!!

Another way to do it is to cut the cord. Don't spend that much time in front of the TV. Most of the "must watch" shows are available over the air in 1080p, at a cost of $0.00 anyway. Do you really use your home phone that much? If you have a half-decent Internet setup (5Mbps/0.800Mbps down/up) should do it and you save about $20 a month (a VoIP account costs $1 a month to maintain and about a cent a minute on a PAYG plan).
A slowcooker is a cheap appliance which allows you to have tasty home-cooked meals with a minimum of effort. That cuts down on eating out, which costs an arm and a leg.

Credit cards are always paid off at the end of the month I only use them for bigger purchases and don't have the cash in hand and don't want to use debit.
I live in the cheapest place I can less than 100 a month it fits me fine (single person room military quarters) while I save for a house.
When buying toys I only buy if I can do it in cash. Have 4 toys and a jacked up truck with no debt.

Note on debit.. You can get nickled and dimed to death using a debit card for your purchases. In general you're better off paying with your credit card as long as you are disciplined enough to keep it fully paid up.

oh lets see...

in the last year or so me and g/f have gone on a penny pinching exercise to try and save as much for a house as possible.

so....

all grocery shopping is done with both of us present, that way we can cut down on each others shopping urges that are not necessary. Also she works for loblaws so we always use her 10% off card. Meal preparation for the week is planned ahead and shopped accordingly to whats on sale etc etc.
I cut my Fido cellphone plan from $70 to $45. I cancelled my car insurance as i can borrow g/fs car once in a while and me and my coworker/friend commute. Plan on using the bike only next year and see how that goes.

No cable bill, just an internet bill, no land line. All long distance calls (rare) are done on the company cellphone.

For x-mas i told friends and family not to buy me useless BS but to ask me what i want. Most ended up getting us gift cards to food stores which are then used for grocery bills. Love that.

Opened a High interest savings account and anything left over from last month other than a $1000 buffer is transfered to the savings account.

Plan was for myself to save $700 a month. So far its exceeded that and i just got a raise which will allow it to go to $900 without any issues. Hopefully, in one years time %20 downpayment on the house will be more than feasible.

This still allows me to have a "fun" fund which lets me buy gadgets/games etc etc.

just to add, eating out by far was our biggest expense and we didnt do it every day either. Food has gone from 300 a week to less than a 100 for the two of us.

other biggest expense was gas. Used to fill up for $70 once a week. Now its every two weeks...that was a $140 savings there.

We purposely looked for a small basement apt to rent. This will force us to a) not spend money on stupid **** as we have nowhere to put it and b) always remind us that its temporary dwelling. $800 all inclusive with great landlords is another bonus.

The key is to get into the mentality of frugality and the best way to do that is set a goal for yourself. My goal was $XXX a month. If i for some reason dont meet it one month, next month gets upped so it averages out to $XXX over the the two months. Oh and thinking about having my own back yard and garage/man cave is a definitive motivator.

Last edited:
Honest to God how do some people make it thru the day? Turbos strategies should be common knowledge to anybody that's not a shut in and even then there's hardly any excuse. ITS YOUR MONEY, don't give it away so easily. Jeeeez
This is also what I don't get. I don't see why people put themselves in situations that they don't want to be in. I've seen far too many younger people get numerous credit cards instead of just getting another part-time job or just learning to live within their means (or if you don't want to miss out, then increase your means). I don't see why they think that money's free.

-----
here's my contribution; student edition. I know it seems like common sense to some of the older folks, but you'd be surprised how many students don't give thought to saving money/learning to spend wisely. This is partly why students are broke when they don't need to be:

- If you're with Rogers, call them and say that you want to cancel your plan. You'll get transferred to retention - these guys will do anything to prevent you from signing over to competition. If you're with Rogers, say you found a better deal at Bell (vice-versa if you're a Bell customer). If you have a Blackberry/iPhone with a decent plan + data, you shouldn't be paying more than 45 dollars a month. If you have a normal phone, you shouldn't be paying more than 30 dollars a month.

I've gotten friends about 30 bucks off each monthly bill by calling in and pretending to be them - it's a lot easier than it seems.

- For people living on their own: learn to cook. Bringing a lunch saves you about 7 bucks a meal (assuming that a decent meal is $10).

- Quit smoking. Learn to smoke up occasionally instead of daily & when you do smoke up, don't toke more than you can take in - it's useless. Don't even smoke more than you need to; you're building your tolerance up for no good reason. Learn to pre-drink - especially if you have a high tolerance.

- Don't get a girlfriend who's a money pit; get yourself someone who's self-sufficient if you're actually trying to have a serious relationship at this age or you can just find a **** buddy (lol).

- If you eat out a lot, let dealradar.com decide where you're going to eat (it puts all the deals from wagjag, groupon, livingsocial, dealfind, etc. all on one page). This site also has a bunch of deals on the most random **** - check it out.

- Learn to network - bartering is still the most effective way to get hooked up. Make yourself marketable by being able to give favours for every favour that you take.

- Buy a damn car that isn't a gas guzzler. You're a student, not a businessman. If you're dumb enough to already have a gas-guzzler, most stations have a schedule for changing their prices - ask the cashier. He doesn't give a **** if you know.

- Every store has a schedule for putting things on sale. If you're into Fashion, you'll know that Toronto has some of the most over-priced stuff - you can still shop at Yorkville and not be broke; you just need to know when stores have sales. Ie: I get all my fall jackets for the next year on boxing day.

- Learn to make use of warranties - break stuff properly before the warranty expires and have a good story for it. Another example is making use of applecare if you have an ipod. You can get a new ipod every couple of years for the price of the applecare plan - it's just the initial purchase that has to be pricey.

- Buy things that you KNOW you're going to buy anyways in bulk or ahead of time somewhere cheaper(gum, soap, condoms etc.). At the very least, avoid convenience stores/places like Shoppers(remember that they need to mark their stuff up to make some decent profit).

- Do your Laundry during the times when everyone else isn't doing it. Also use cold water - with the right soap/detergent, it'll clean just as well, won't shrink, and dark clothes will hold their colours longer

- Before buying some piece of clothing, ask if it's worth what you're paying. If it's not, buy it online. For example, American apparel hoodies are about 65 in with taxes, but can be bought new online for 30.

- ALWAYS over-budget - it makes up for the rainy days. Use the extra to treat yourself to a vacation at least once a year or let it carry over to the next year for some big-ticket item that you're saving for.

- If you're going out with a relatively big group... then "it's someone's birthday" (that's what you tell the restaurant). At buffets where it's like $30 for dinner, doing this saves you all a couple of bucks if you all just split the final bill.

- If you go anywhere downtown regularly (like a girlfriend's place, a friend's place, the gym, etc.)...go after 9pm on weekdays and 6pm on sundays 'cause street parking's free after that. Or if you must go during the day, learn to find the secret spots downtown (almost every section of downtown has at least a couple of places where you can park without paying/getting towed every now and then)

- Get yourself a gym membership. You can get your membership subsidized at YMCA, just ask about it. If your time's valuable...then this is well-worth it. You'll have more energy throughout the day (I think cardio 3 times a week for 30 minutes gets you an extra 23 hours of energy, on average); you'll also be able to focus more easily; the bonus is that you can make yourself generally more attractive. As sad as it sounds, your chances of getting hired for that great student job are a lot higher if you're not a fat-***. Not to mention that everyone at your age is at their prime - you're at a disadvantage if you're going to let yourself go.

- Don't pay for a parking pass at your university; rent a garage from a nearby house for half the price.

- Find yourself a job that doesn't pay minimum wage. And don't depend on retail for your primary source of income - you'll only make consistent figures during 2 seasons of the year if you work retail.

- Learn to make use of petitions and doctor's notes to get deadlines extended at school. Don't punish yourself by getting a grade that will make you need to re-take the course and spend another 600+ upgrading your mark.

- Almost all big brands have outlets in the gta - make use of them. ie: levi's, armany exchange, guess, holt renfrew, etc.

- Never use UPS, Fedex, or any private shipping company unless you absolutely need to. You'll be surprised by brokerage fees.

- There are cheap fixes to get clearer skin. Sleep on a fresh pillowcase or towel every night. Learn about what ingredients do what and figure out what your skin type is. The "best" exfolianting kits don't have to be $80 - you can use lemons and granulated sugar (I only use organic because your skin absorbs it). Also, dove is one of the few soaps that can double up as a face wash.

- Learn to hustle when you need extra coin. Buy things that other students will buy regardless, and sell it for slightly lower than retail (I do this with American Apparel). Everyone wins (well, except the retailer :p).

- All you can eat Korean Grill is 10 bucks after 10pm.

It's not about being cheap...it's about not spending money that you don't need to, so that you can spend it on other things ;).

Last edited:
^ this is great, wish I had someone tell me this 10 years ago. lol

^agreed!

Put into a spread sheet all the reciepts you get every month, you will see exactly where you can cut back on some things. Booze is expensive. lol. Also I put everything on my canadian tire options mastercard...I mean everything. At the end of the month I pay it off and the card gives me about 1% of all my spending back in canadian tire money. I have saved up about 500 bucks worth of canadian tire money....there are always things you can get at crappy tire...usefull things that are on sale.

Oh and definitely negotiate a better cell phone bill for yourself....think long term....for every 10 dollars you save per month on a bill its 120 per year....that sounds alot better. So think yearly bill expenses and not monthly. If you want to see what other people get with the retention rates go to redflagsdeals.com. You can use that information to your benefit when negotiating a cell deal.

oh.....might as well add this as well....NEGOTIATE EVERY BIG TICKET ITEM YOU GET. Do your homework and get the best price for cars, appliances, tvs...whatever. Don't be affraid to negotiate it all.

Oh and try to pay off the cable guy to hook you up with free cable. lol.

Last edited:
Fantastic! Keep 'em coming.
Starbucks, I love their coffee but once I added up what I was spending for my two cup a day habit,
over $1000.00 per year, I started taking a thermos. Now it's $200 a year.
When I need new snow tires I buy them in the spring at 30-40% off.
Insurance Hotline, that service that finds you the cheapest rates, I went through them and found the best rate and took it to my broker and said "what can you do for me?" He matched the rate and I didn't have to leave and start with a new company.

Note on winter jackets.. Mid-January's already a good time to buy'em. I'm always in the habit of buying $300 jackets in the $100 ballpark. Last one was Columbia Titanium that I bought 2 years ago. So far so good for this winter and probably next.. We'll see after that.
If you don't leave the GTA much, you're better off getting a cell phone plan from one of the smaller players like Wind or Mobilicity. They frequently have pretty kickass promos. Buying your own phone (ebay's a great source.. that's how my wife saved close to $200 on mine, which is about 1/3 of the sticker price) can also save you a bundle.
If you don't have the ability/space/tools/inclination to fix your cage, shop around for a shop. The ones run by immigrants are best. Instead of charging you $350 for a muffler replacement, they might be able to fix your problem with a reciprocating saw, a length of pipe and 2 clamps to a tune of $20. Speaking of exhaust systems.. If you're driving a Euro or a Jap with expensive parts and you need a new cat, any muffler shop would be able to do some pipe-bending and welding to ghetto a universal muffler on there for less than 50% of the price (tried, tested and passed 3 e-tests).
Learn to do minor house repairs like replacing a switch/outlet or a faucet/toilet on your own. That'll save you a bundle on skilled tradesmen. Of course, make sure to shut off the water/electricity in the house before doing any of that work :cool:
If you just want good tough clothes for construction, bush crashing or even regular wearing, army surplus stores can also save you a good chunk of change. I buy all of my field gear there, except for boots.. Hell, you can even score a good sleeping bag at 25% of the retail price.

Last edited:
keep ALL your reciepts, and review them at the months end. youll be surprised how much money is wasted.

i avoid eating out, going to timmies, making unecessary trips to the store, got netflix instead of cable, got teksavvy for internet, not bell/cogeco/rogers, cut down the cell phone use. turn down the thermostat. put on a sweater. turn off your lights. watch that lead foot. dont go barhopping. hang your laundry to dry.

keep ALL your reciepts, and review them at the months end. youll be surprised how much money is wasted.

It is SHOCKING how much money disappears because of random stupidness.

Tip 1:

This one is not easy, but avoid holding cash. This will prevent a lot of those penny transactions that add up - coffee, chocolate bars, etc.

Moreover, try to pay everything with plastic. That way you avoid having loose change. That loose change almost always turns into said penny transactions above.

As an added bonus, your spending is detailed via bank statements.

Tip 2:

Always get your bills on paper. Avoid online statements. You can have your bills paid automatically via your CC or bank account, but get a paper statement. Environmental issues notwithstanding, you really see where your money is going. If you don't get a paper bill, the money just comes out of the CC or bank account, and you don't always take notice, in case there are any errors, or if you realize that you're spending more than you should on a particular service.

Back
Top Bottom