How do you deal with stupid drivers? | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

How do you deal with stupid drivers?

And here I thought this was going to be another boring thread about bad GTA drivers, thanks @rinomato1 :ROFLMAO:

The issue here is DRIVER EDUCATION. its not good enough, I mean I'm just so surprised at the **** I see on a daily basis that occurs on any and all roadways within the GTA and outside of it. I feel like the government is a little too lax in its "testing" and "licensing." The drivers are the ones with the larger road presence than that of a two wheeled vehicle and should take EXTREME CARE with the operation of said vehicles. unfortunately, we live in an individualistic society full of selfish, careless people who. beleive that life is cheap. Because, If people cared alot less motorcyclists, pedestrians, cyclists would be killed every year.
I don't think driver education is the big issue -- I think it's enforcement. driver testing is too simple, Cops focus on speed traps more than anything, and sure speed is a factor in many accidents, I think more accidents are caused by careless and distracted drivers.

I also think it's too easy to get and keep a drivers licence.

If I was King, I'd do a couple of things:
1) Any driver that gets convicted in any at fault accident, or accumulates >6 demerit points in the first 5 M years OR 2 times in a 5 year window goes back to M2 conditions.
2) Distracted driver penalties get aligned with Impaired driving penalties.
3) Clairfy lane usage rules and step up enforcement.

I don't think driver education is the big issue -- I think it's enforcement. driver testing is too simple, Cops focus on speed traps more than anything, and sure speed is a factor in many accidents, I think more accidents are caused by careless and distracted drivers.

I also think it's too easy to get and keep a drivers licence.

If I was King, I'd do a couple of things:
1) Any driver that gets convicted in any at fault accident, or accumulates >6 demerit points in the first 5 M years OR 2 times in a 5 year window goes back to M2 conditions.
2) Distracted driver penalties get aligned with Impaired driving penalties.
3) Clairfy lane usage rules and step up enforcement.
I'd add M1 testing in English/French only. Driving is a privilege, if you can't pass the test in a language that the signs are written in, you aren't ready to drive in Canada yet. Honestly, most of the test is pictures anyway. Just for fun, does anyone know where I can find a copy of the test with another alphabet (for instance, an arabic language) to see if I can pass?

I'd add M1 testing in English/French only. Driving is a privilege, if you can't pass the test in a language that the signs are written in, you aren't ready to drive in Canada yet. Honestly, most of the test is pictures anyway. Just for fun, does anyone know where I can find a copy of the test with another alphabet (for instance, an arabic language) to see if I can pass?

Do they really offer testing in other languages? :ROFLMAO:

Give er! :LOL:

ab-signs2-5.png

a. لا تمر على هذا الطريق
b. لا تدخل إلى الأمام
c. الطريق في اتجاه واحد فقط
d. لا وقوف السيارات في المستقبل

Give er! :LOL:

ab-signs2-5.png

a. لا تمر على هذا الطريق
b. لا تدخل إلى الأمام
c. الطريق في اتجاه واحد فقط
d. لا وقوف السيارات في المستقبل
Haha. Thx. I figure me passing that isnt grossly different that the inverse (a little different, but not worlds away).

Do they really offer testing in other languages? :ROFLMAO:
At least 20 languages.

"German, Finnish, Portuguese, Polish, Russian, Italian, Spanish, Korean, Punjabi, Croatian, Hindi, Chinese, Tamil, Somali, and of course, French and English"

Plus farsi, armenian and a couple more.

sounds like ita nicer out there than it is in this ******** of Ontario particularly Toronto and its GTA.... I dont care who I offend but it's becoming like South Side Chicago with all the violence and secondly, I feel like a minority in my own country! I think that's why there are alot of stupid drivers. The government just hands new immigrants licenses like its candy, and these folks are bringing their bad driving habits from back home HERE! SO we have a melting pot of all these cultures, most of these people probably didn't even own cars back home and if they did hardly knew how to operate them. I'm sorry, but it's the government's fault, for being so bloody greedy. The drivers tests out in Europe are much more stricter. Also, I have to say for the most part European and Japanese makes up the BEST drivers/riders on earth... I've been to europe and japan and have seen how these folks drive and ride and let me tell you CLASS A1! There would be alot less stupid people on the road if A) The government didnt hand any new immigrant a drivers license and B) IF the actual drivers test was based off of the European model. (knowing how to drive standard, knowing how to change a tire, basic maintenance, mechanics of a vehicle, high speed manoeuvring, low speed manoeuvring driving through curves, mountains etc...)

I think more GTA drivers definitely need to take a cue from Europe's best drivers. We all need to start driving like Italians, Greeks and Albanians.

I think more GTA drivers definitely need to take a cue from Europe's best drivers. We all need to start driving like Italians, Greeks and Albanians.
I need to drive like they do on Danforth Avenue? :unsure:

The drivers tests out in Europe are much more stricter. Also, I have to say for the most part European and Japanese makes up the BEST drivers/riders on earth...

The government isn't actually the blame for everything here.

Both Japan and Europe have a huge driving culture. As a nation, they represent some of the best riders and drivers. They take a lot of pride in that. This doesn't exist in Canada. Our pro racers get ****** in the US. Most US pro racers get ****** in EU or Japan. There is a massive skill gap because, as a culture, North Americans don't really care about getting good at things; we care much more about buying ****. This is why you'll very commonly see people invest into performance parts or a new vehicle instead of self improvement.

Also, Japanese culture places a huge emphasis on not getting in the way of others, and finding your purpose. If you suck at driving, you will get in the way of others. If you are taking driving seriously, it becomes your purpose. North American culture has very little of this, we're far more "me-centric."

Honestly, I think the vast majority (>75%) suck at driving because the vast majority will never train; they're too ******* scared. Hell, I think more than 50% of these forums don't train regularly.

Also, just saying, I'm an immigrant with Japanese, Taiwanese, and Chinese roots, so I get to insult Chinese, Japanese, and Canadian culture then pick the pros without being racist ;)

Immigrant here, took the joke of a driving test at Warden and Eglinton. Literally drove around the block and I had passed. This was back in 1987, most of the Canadians were **** drivers as well. The new wave of immigrants hadn't really started.My British test was over 30 minutes long, average fail rate for teenage boys was 50%. I think I remember using the word cornflakes box as I got my licence also :)

Last edited:
Ok let me try to contextualize what I mean when I say new immigrants.... ok most new immigrants are of south east asian ie. sri Lankan, indian etc.... now most of these folks are coming from 3rd world countries probably didnt even own a car, probably walked or took public transport whatever. now they come to any city most of them end up here in Toronto. now, they're going from a small village, or city riding on a bus or a scooter, to now owning and operating a car in a country that actually has laws. that's scary! no racism here just facts.

many colleagues past and present are from there and even they say it's a ******** of a country lawless, corrupted society. you bring them over here and they're suddenly operating a car, when back home they were riding on the back of a donkey. something ain't right. I blame the government of canada!

a) third world country immigrants should be given stricter driving tests and a whole lot more training than immigrants coming from 1st world countries like Japan, Korea or any European countries.

b) driving tests should HIGHLY Mimic those is Germany/ Italy/ France. not just knowing signs but knowing how to change a tire, how to change oil basic maintenance, driving standard etc...emergency manoeuvring.

then we will have a safer GTA.

The immigrant thing is real and true anywhere. It's a driving "culture" that is being imported.

There are many things we do on roads that are not from a rulebook, either unwritten rules or just habits. Different levels of acceptable "politeness" or even "over-politeness".

“The road, more than simply a system of regulations and designs, is a place where many millions of us, with only loose parameters for how to behave, are thrown together daily in a kind of massive petri dish in which all kinds of uncharted, little-understood dynamics are at work. There is no other place where so many people from different walks of life--different ages, races, classes, religions, genders, political preferences, lifestyle choices, levels of psychological stability--mingle so freely.”
― Tom Vanderbilt, Traffic: Why We Drive the Way We Do and What It Says About Us

Ok let me try to contextualize what I mean when I say new immigrants.... ok most new immigrants are of south east asian ie. sri Lankan, indian etc.... now most of these folks are coming from 3rd world countries probably didnt even own a car, probably walked or took public transport whatever. now they come to any city most of them end up here in Toronto. now, they're going from a small village, or city riding on a bus or a scooter, to now owning and operating a car in a country that actually has laws. that's scary! no racism here just facts.

many colleagues past and present are from there and even they say it's a ******** of a country lawless, corrupted society. you bring them over here and they're suddenly operating a car, when back home they were riding on the back of a donkey. something ain't right. I blame the government of canada!

a) third world country immigrants should be given stricter driving tests and a whole lot more training than immigrants coming from 1st world countries like Japan, Korea or any European countries.

b) driving tests should HIGHLY Mimic those is Germany/ Italy/ France. not just knowing signs but knowing how to change a tire, how to change oil basic maintenance, driving standard etc...emergency manoeuvring.

I strongly disagree with a). Testing should not be based on your country of origin. The test should be sufficient to ensure that the person being tested is reasonably able to drive in accordance with our laws (and ideally societal norms such as keep right except to pass). Having a proper test in place means you don't care what someones prior experience was (although some people will have an easier time passing based on past experience). Your argument in a) could easily be applied to someone that grew up downtown with no parental vehicles. They have never experienced/thought about the intricacies of driving.

a) would be discrimination.

Also a neighbour had her garage door replaced because an elderly friend, dropping by for a visit, drove through it. She was not an immigrant. The first thing out of her mouth was "Don't tell my son. He won't let me drive anymore."

Oh, OK we'll let you kill a couple of people first.

I strongly disagree with a). Testing should not be based on your country of origin. The test should be sufficient to ensure that the person being tested is reasonably able to drive in accordance with our laws (and ideally societal norms such as keep right except to pass). Having a proper test in place means you don't care what someones prior experience was (although some people will have an easier time passing based on past experience). Your argument in a) could easily be applied to someone that grew up downtown with no parental vehicles. They have never experienced/thought about the intricacies of driving.

i agree with you on the whole downtown thing 100% a lot of those yuppies do not even own a car. BUT as for the immigrant argument we do have a problem there.... have you ever driven through Brampton? or as I hear people on the streets call it "Bramladesh" and yes there is alot of truth to that. it's a mystery as to why Brampton has one of the highest insurance rates in probably all of north america. again facts! not trying to be racist but pointing out factual evidence.

Also a neighbour had her garage door replaced because an elderly friend, dropping by for a visit, drove through it. She was not an immigrant. The first thing out of her mouth was "Don't tell my son. He won't let me drive anymore."

Ugh, don't get me started on people that become incompetent. As much as I hate government waste and red tape, having to pass a quick simulator test every five years when you renew your license and maybe a driving test every 10 would go a long way to cleaning up the complacency and degradation of driving abilities that most of of see (I know my driving ability/ability to react very quickly is substantially worse than 20 years ago, but IMO still well above the required standard).

it's trying to be discriminatory towards a) it's just ensuring that these people get the proper training and familiarity of an automobile, and feel comfortable in the operation of said auto.

this dude that used to be a cleaner in my old condo was from sri Lanka he told me he came from a village with no paved roads and road on the back of a 125 cc lambretta type scooter , he says maybe in a larger town hed see a car. I ain't trusting that dude near me on the road... and yet Here in canada hes driving a car. wow! multiply that by however many are here.

1. I legit cant tell if this is a serious post or not :ROFLMAO:
2. I'd be willing to bet my paycheck most people from those countries can out ride you with 1 arm tied behind their back.(guess which country has the greatest number of riders on planet earth?)
3. its not nearly as bad as you say it is.
If it bothers you so much just stay away from brampton. :ROFLMAO:

Problem solved

I'd also be willing to bet a lot of crowded places are like that, full of aggressive drivers(Ever driven in NYC?)

Also are you even riding at the present moment? Did you get wife's permission yet?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom