How about that | Page 10 | GTAMotorcycle.com

How about that

I think they are starting to understand the downside of keeping kids at home. Not only is it hard on families, but kids are also suffering badly in both academic and social development.

I guess you have to put things on the scale and weigh the ugliness of each option.

I don’t think there’s any weighing though, that’s the issue. As a society there’s this loud group telling us about “mental health” issues and not even approaching the other argument and that’s it as far as they are concerned. From my perspective I’m ****** that any restrictions I’m following are completely negated by this lunacy and these actions are likely to bring in further restrictions down the line when the elephant in the room gets way too big to ignore.

When my daughter was doing her rotation as a student, she worked in union and non-union hospitals. She claimed there wasn't much difference, but did feel the non-union hospitals had happier staff and they never carried slackers.

Let’s not get a union conversation going , but… she was a bright new grad on rotation. Ask someone in mid level nurse management, or a nurse that was 10 yrs in non union , now in union. It’s different. You’ll make less , be well and truly under represented and getting rid of a union takes an 80% vote ? Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

…the whole school thing is confusing me right now. We have numbers going nuts all over the shop and kids are going back to school, not fully vaxxed, no more contact tracing, no more proper number reporting. This really looks like one step forward two giant steps back right now. Two weeks after the kids start back I guarantee numbers will get way worse. It happened in the UK, many families were dealing with infections.

I get parents don’t want them at home but I also don't get why people don’t see this is a bad idea.
It's an election year. Lots of parents vote. There was a very vocal group and many petitions to send them back. Some doctors were saying send them back. Bean counters probably tabulated votes each way and back they go.

Let's wait until the 17th to see if they actually go back...

Also, the kids "returning" to class is mostly a farce. List of symptoms requiring isolation includes a runny nose again. It's winter. They are kids. That will kick most of them out. Then you are in the really crap situation of never knowing which days you have kids around as you could get them for five days with five minutes notice. As classes are theoretically in-person, virtual classes are basically canned (teachers post independent learning which works awesome for kids that can't read /s). In my opinion returning to in-class with the rules as currently defined will result in far less learning than online.

Also, the kids "returning" to class is mostly a farce. List of symptoms requiring isolation includes a runny nose again. It's winter. They are kids. That will kick most of them out. Then you are in the really crap situation of never knowing which days you have kids around as you could get them for five days with five minutes notice. As classes are theoretically in-person, virtual classes are basically canned (teachers post independent learning which works awesome for kids that can't read /s). In my opinion returning to in-class with the rules as currently defined will result in far less learning than online.
On a cold day half the population will get a runny nose from a bowl of soup.

@george__ one of the reasons why I don't think we'll be going back until February when the off-peak rates go back to normal...that combined with the fact that several hospitals in Peel are apparently closed (well at least their critical care units), lack of paramedics/ambulances in Toronto las weekend, lack of HEPA filters in classrooms (3000 being delivered for 4800+ schools), no testing available for staff/students etc....as much as I want to go back, I don't think it's going to happen :(

@george__ one of the reasons why I don't think we'll be going back until February when the off-peak rates go back to normal...that combined with the fact that several hospitals in Peel are apparently closed (well at least their critical care units), lack of paramedics/ambulances in Toronto las weekend, lack of HEPA filters in classrooms (3000 being delivered for 4800+ schools), no testing available for staff/students etc....as much as I want to go back, I don't think it's going to happen :(
If it makes you feel any better, the HEPA units they are installing are theatre not science. Insufficient circulation within the room and filters sized for ~100 sq ft room with a few occupants not a 400 sq ft room with 30 people in it. They will probably clean up the air from one day to the next but the chance of any measurable benefit while occupied is small.

EDIT:
If N95 masks I have fit the teachers, I will send them a few. Sterilizing N95 masks apparently lets you reuse them for ~30 days but I haven't heard of any attempt to do that outside of hospitals (and in hospitals they were collecting the masks for future sterilization but I think they aborted and chucked them prior to actually reusing any. They had that idea as plan F if supply completely collapsed).

@GreyGhost thanks for that, I didn't know...the only rooms in our class that received filters were the kindy rooms because they have close to 30 kids and 2 adults minimum, with many of the kiddos not wearing masks properly, if at all...I do know my board received the N95 masks, but haven't been back to check them out...it'll be interesting to hear his final decision which I'm sure will be made either Thursday or Friday (hopefully he won't wait until the weekend)...I feel for the kids and for the parents...it's not easy that's for sure...

@GreyGhost thanks for that, I didn't know...the only rooms in our class that received filters were the kindy rooms because they have close to 30 kids and 2 adults minimum, with many of the kiddos not wearing masks properly, if at all...I do know my board received the N95 masks, but haven't been back to check them out...it'll be interesting to hear his final decision which I'm sure will be made either Thursday or Friday (hopefully he won't wait until the weekend)...I feel for the kids and for the parents...it's not easy that's for sure...
It's awesome that you got masks. It would be even better if they sent someone out to give the teachers a fit test asap. Our board is apparently saying end of Feb to give teachers masks.

I threw it out but I read an article on proper covid ventilation (admittedly for covid positive patients but at this point assuming at least one person per class is positive is reasonable) and they were running multiple high flow hepa filters per room and dumping the exhaust outside in courtyards far away from where anyone could be. They wanted negative pressurization but they were still not convinced that people should be breathing the filtered air.

Here's a quick and dirty reference for filtering classrooms. Assuming you have no HVAC supply (accurate for most classrooms) and you want six air exchanges per hour (this number is debatable and selection of it is well beyond a cursory discussion), you have a typical size classroom (45x20x9=8100 cu ft in their example), you need to filter approximately 810 cfm constantly and quietly. That's in the ballpark of the furnace in your townhouse. I can't find good data but I think the ones they are installing are 300 cfm or less. So you need almost three per classroom to do things properly instead of one for every three classrooms (and we probably don't even have that many deployed).

Public health ontario document with similar flowrates to what I calculated.

If N95 masks I have fit the teachers, I will send them a few. Sterilizing N95 masks apparently lets you reuse them for ~30 days but I haven't heard of any attempt to do that outside of hospitals (and in hospitals they were collecting the masks for future sterilization but I think they aborted and chucked them prior to actually reusing any. They had that idea as plan F if supply completely collapsed).
Are these the same as respirators? I know for us if we wanted to use any we had to shave 100% because any facial hair basically removed the protection from the particulates.

Are these the same as respirators? I know for us if we wanted to use any we had to shave 100% because any facial hair basically removed the protection from the particulates.
I suspect similar. Not entirely my thing. My wifes fit test involved putting on a mask and identifying a smell. If you couldn't smell it, fit was good. Thankfully she doesn't need to shave to be able to wear a mask that works.

EDIT:
I find it signficantly easier to breathe in a respirator than N95. Big soft seal, lots more filter area, nice suspension to hold in place. N95's are the ugly stepchild that feel like you are breathing through a straw if you are working hard. I still haven't seen data for N95 on exhalation, I highly suspect it's appalling. Given the increased restriction through the mask, much of your exhalation pushes the mask off your face and escapes around the edge without being filtered. In a poverty cloth or surgical mask, restriction is low so most of the air should pass through the filter.

Last edited:
I am not a fan of making the unvaxed pay for additional healthcare. Its not right.

Many of the unvaxed suffer from mental illness , are homeless and already marginalized. It would be like taxing stupid people , thats not right.
Agreed. Let’s start charging motorcyclists for being a burden if they’re a vegetable from an accident.

Slippery slope.

Back
Top Bottom