Hit or Flop? Ford Maverick | Page 12 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Hit or Flop? Ford Maverick

CVT operation is baked into the way Ford's hybrid powertrain works. Keep in mind that this is not a push-belt/chain-type actual CVT ... it's just a simple planetary gearset with part of the torque path coming from the engine and the other part going through the EV part of it. Same as Ford Escape (identical), same principle of operation as Toyota Hybrid Synergy Drive (Prius, and every other hybrid front-drive Toyota). In terms of probability of mechanical self-destruction, there's very little to go wrong, no clutches, no variable pulleys. In terms of the way they drive, yeah, they sound rather awful and there's not much audible relationship between what the engine is doing and what the vehicle is doing. But, that's how those hybrid powertrains work.

Hybrid with AWD appears to be an available combination on an Escape, so probably the reason they're not doing it with Maverick has something to do with marketing, or production capacity, or who knows what. It's not because the transmission is mechanically incapable of having that combination.

"Just made the damn thing AWD/Hybrid...or at least RWD/Hybrid."

Please also leave off CVT transmission.
(The hybrid Maverick has one)
Agreed that the CVT is a very efficient transmission, it is just that driving a vehicle with one, is a "different" experience and I do not enjoy that "difference".

As Brian says, the hybrid Maverick has CVT and Ford does not offer AWD on that particular model, perhaps the focus is on mileage efficiency (in general, 2 WD consumes less gas than AWD)

Agreed that the CVT is a very efficient transmission, it is just that driving a vehicle with one, is a "different" experience and I do not enjoy that "difference".

As Brian says, the hybrid Maverick has CVT and Ford does not offer AWD on that particular model, perhaps the focus is on mileage efficiency (in general, 2 WD consumes less gas than AWD)
Did you just quote yourself there?

I agree...hate the CVT 'feeling' of speeding up and no gear changes as the engine ramps up...takes some getting used to, but their lack of moving parts, and efficiency can't be discounted overall.

My parents Nissans have CVTs and I hate them very much. I've only driven a single different one, so may be much better/worse/same?

The WRX apparently has a CVT, and I wish I went that route instead of manual. But the regular Impreza CVT that I drove in my buddy's car is marginally better than the Nissan. But that car is extremely efficient.

Did you just quote yourself there?

I agree...hate the CVT 'feeling' of speeding up and no gear changes as the engine ramps up...takes some getting used to, but their lack of moving parts, and efficiency can't be discounted overall.

My parents Nissans have CVTs and I hate them very much. I've only driven a single different one, so may be much better/worse/same?

The WRX apparently has a CVT, and I wish I went that route instead of manual. But the regular Impreza CVT that I drove in my buddy's car is marginally better than the Nissan. But that car is extremely efficient.

I had an Altima with the CVT and hated it. It also blew up at around 70k.

The concept is great so I’m assuming other manufacturers have better versions.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

I had an Altima with the CVT and hated it. It also blew up at around 70k.

The concept is great so I’m assuming other manufacturers have better versions.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app
My parents had a 1989 Nissan Sentra when we first moved to Canada...they are still on Nissans to this day.

CVT operation is baked into the way Ford's hybrid powertrain works. Keep in mind that this is not a push-belt/chain-type actual CVT ... it's just a simple planetary gearset with part of the torque path coming from the engine and the other part going through the EV part of it. Same as Ford Escape (identical), same principle of operation as Toyota Hybrid Synergy Drive (Prius, and every other hybrid front-drive Toyota). In terms of probability of mechanical self-destruction, there's very little to go wrong, no clutches, no variable pulleys. In terms of the way they drive, yeah, they sound rather awful and there's not much audible relationship between what the engine is doing and what the vehicle is doing. But, that's how those hybrid powertrains work.

Hybrid with AWD appears to be an available combination on an Escape, so probably the reason they're not doing it with Maverick has something to do with marketing, or production capacity, or who knows what. It's not because the transmission is mechanically incapable of having that combination.
I definitely almost learned something. I was vaguely aware of planetary CVTs but maybe I learned of them a long time ago, was willing to simplify their function to "magic" and left at that. Now I'm trying to understand how they actually work and I feel like I'm 1/3 of the way there

"Just made the damn thing AWD/Hybrid...or at least RWD/Hybrid."

Please also leave off CVT transmission.
(The hybrid Maverick has one)

The CVT is a e CVT (from Toyota I think??) and should be solid. It isn’t the Jatco belt driven crap from Nissan.

I decided against it because it is a FORD (fix or repair daily)

Last edited:
Laughing my ass off. Neighbour apparently sold a loveseat. Guy shows up to pick it up with a Ram 1500 and a trailer. Hard tonneau on the truck so it is impossible to use for truck things. They have been tarping the poor furniture for a while as it is going to get blasted. Stupidest truck ever. Maverick (or a car with a 1000 lb tow rating) would be more functional and with less downsides.

Laughing my ass off. Neighbour apparently sold a loveseat. Guy shows up to pick it up with a Ram 1500 and a trailer. Hard tonneau on the truck so it is impossible to use for truck things. They have been tarping the poor furniture for a while as it is going to get blasted. Stupidest truck ever. Maverick (or a car with a 1000 lb tow rating) would be more functional and with less downsides.
The folding tonneau covers available now make having those heavy fibreglass colour-matched units pure vanity. I avoided covers for ages, but the folding one I have now is so easy to use and has so few drawbacks that it's hard to argue against. It keeps smaller loads dry (massively helpful when hauling bagged concrete mixes), keeps lighter items from blowing away, and protects from theft. The only issue is just that you can't see your load with the middle mirror as the window is blocked, though this also helps protect the window from shifted loads, so it's actually more feature than bug.

That was a near daily occurance at the ReStore. People show up with truck but you can't hardly put anything in it for the tonneau.
Then there was the "it'll fit in the back seat". "Yes it might. Are you ok if we rip the headliner getting it in?"

My F150 had a folding tonneau , it took less than 3 mins to completely remove it . The solid tonneau is really just a small station wagon , I'm amazed at folks that have NO clue how to move or secure a load .

I have had full size trucks for years. I need them for work but use it as a daily.
My truck is owned and paid for by my business thus paid for with income before income tax. Where as the wife’s car is paid for after tax. So she drives a clapped out Chevy Cobalt 😂 her choice not mine. I would love to get her into a new Maverick with a cap. I run and always will run a cap on my truck. When I get home I can leave tools in the bed and although not really secure they are out of sight and weather. It does limit the size of items I can haul like couches but most of the time it’s adequate. It also hauls my 7000lbs tandem dump trailer wich is handy for those large items and dumpables and hauls my 14’ cargo trailer for larger loads that need to be covered. I pretty much have it covered except fuel costs, 🤷‍♂️
The few times I’ve taken the wife’s car it feels so strange to drive. Almost too small to be on the road. So I drive my truck anywhere and everywhere.
Her car 2008 with 90,000km
My truck 2016 with 250,000km
I’m debating for my next truck should I go?
F150 with 3.5 turbo with hybrid? Most power, best mpg, but $8000 option
F150 with 3.5 turbo? Meh mpg, enough power
F150 5.0 NA? Meh mpg enough power, v8 sound and long term reliability

I would have debated an 8,000 option, but with fuel now , there may be a payback. Does the hybrid affect towing capacity ?
I could pull a 3500lb trailer with negligible impact with my F150 V6 non turbo. How big till a 7,000lb trailer doesnt pull well?

your in a bit different circumstance, you actually need a truck.

I have had full size trucks for years. I need them for work but use it as a daily.
My truck is owned and paid for by my business thus paid for with income before income tax. Where as the wife’s car is paid for after tax. So she drives a clapped out Chevy Cobalt 😂 her choice not mine. I would love to get her into a new Maverick with a cap. I run and always will run a cap on my truck. When I get home I can leave tools in the bed and although not really secure they are out of sight and weather. It does limit the size of items I can haul like couches but most of the time it’s adequate. It also hauls my 7000lbs tandem dump trailer wich is handy for those large items and dumpables and hauls my 14’ cargo trailer for larger loads that need to be covered. I pretty much have it covered except fuel costs, 🤷‍♂️
The few times I’ve taken the wife’s car it feels so strange to drive. Almost too small to be on the road. So I drive my truck anywhere and everywhere.
Her car 2008 with 90,000km
My truck 2016 with 250,000km
I’m debating for my next truck should I go?
F150 with 3.5 turbo with hybrid? Most power, best mpg, but $8000 option
F150 with 3.5 turbo? Meh mpg, enough power
F150 5.0 NA? Meh mpg enough power, v8 sound and long term reliability
I think all the people I know that bought fords recently went for 3.5 turbo and are happy with it. As with all the eco boosts, if you use the boost, eco disappears.

I think all the people I know that bought fords recently went for 3.5 turbo and are happy with it. As with all the eco boosts, if you use the boost, eco disappears.
Ya I’ve heard that.
I used to regularly get to 10ish L/100km but I put a leveling kit with slightly larger 10 ply all terrain tires. Also removed the 6” plastic air dam under my front bumper due to a snow bank I was determined to go through🤷‍♂️ Because I could.
Also the old girl has 250,000 hard km
but now luck to get it under 17L/100km

The hybrid option actually adds to towing and power capability.

Another option a buddy is waiting on delivery of a 2022 GMC Sierra AT4 with a 3.0 Duramax diesel. I’m interested to see how it is.

hybrid is a no brainer, we are all dreaming if you think fuel prices are going to get any cheaper.

If you look at my first few posts *years* ago on the electric car thread, several times I was preaching hybrid.

Why automakers were so slow to respond to hybrid and electric tech bewilders me to this day....

Back
Top Bottom