Hit or Flop? Ford Maverick | Page 11 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Hit or Flop? Ford Maverick

Did they silicone the 3rd brake light in? Just about every rear leak in a Dodge is a 3rd break light. Add a bead of silicone and it seals right up, hard to remove but will never leak again

Could have also been rear window seals, clogged sunroof drains, or misaligned rear doors. All relatively easy to diagnose and fix. Surprised neither dealer did anything for you.
No silly cone, but a 3rd brake light & new gasket (to replace the perfectly new 3rd brake light & gasket).
Headliner was bone dry.
Rear window was fixed, I ordered it that way. And, with no sunroof, because I knew the risk.
Doors fit as designed. (I spent my working life building fords).
No holes in the floor, but the rear carpet was always wet.

No silly cone, but a 3rd brake light & new gasket (to replace the perfectly new 3rd brake light & gasket).
Headliner was bone dry.
Rear window was fixed, I ordered it that way. And, with no sunroof, because I knew the risk.
Doors fit as designed. (I spent my working life building fords).
No holes in the floor, but the rear carpet was always wet.

Weird. Then you really start getting into is it coming in from the front half of the cab and migrating to the back through the channel under the door sills. Turns into a real mess. I still would have siliconed the brake light but in the end with 6 years worth of water in it, you wouldn't want the truck anyways.

Weird. Then you really start getting into is it coming in from the front half of the cab and migrating to the back through the channel under the door sills. Turns into a real mess. I still would have siliconed the brake light but in the end with 6 years worth of water in it, you wouldn't want the truck anyways.
Dealer can't do that even if it works. They get hamstrung by repairing to factory spec (or alternate published work procedure) as a warranty repair. If you don't care about warranty and are paying, many other options are possible.

I've bought 2 new ones, that I can remember. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me tw............
1) '86 topaz. I was married at the time. It wasn't for me. It was "top of the line".....lol. I'd hate to have known how many rattles the others had.
2) 2010 f150 xlt 4x4. It leaked like a sieve. I couldn't find the leak. 2 different dealers couldn't find it. It smelled like a wet dog. After 6 yrs, I traded it in. On the way to trading it in, it rolled 30,000kms. Was still a brand new truck, that leaked. I always had a honda beside it in the driveway.
Other than the wet floor in the back, and the fan heater resistor blowing once or twice a year, it was an ok truck. I don't need the super size truck any more, but I'd rather own a honda.

No surprise

See page 5 of this thread post #87

Have fun with that hornets nest under the hood and gives you an idea of how the rest of the vehicle was put together.

As long as they have a solution for moving 4x8' sheets (which they do) I'm happy with it. A regular 5'4-5'8" short box thats in every truck now isn't really a lot more useful then the Maverick's 4'8" bed.

My last truck had a 6'4" bed, which to me was the perfect size. 8ft bed is longer than I'll ever need. Plus 6'4" is a little over 8ft diagonal, which is nice since you can throw a few lengths of wood or whatever in there with the tailgate closed.

my only issue is with bikes. the length with tailgate down does not fit most bikes lengthwise. I think you can fit a bike diagonally but I never haul them that way. I like straight in the middle so I can evenly strap it down.

been seeing more of these on the road, they look awesome. cute little trucks for everything else you'd need.
make it a plug-in hybrid AWD and i'm sold.

Ford had the SportTrac which was sort of the inpiration for the Maverick . I find it interesting the "UTE" as they are nicknamed down under , 2 doors or 4 doors and an open box have been so successful everwhere but north america.

Maybe the ghosts of the Ranchero and El Camino took a long time to vanquish. Ranchero with a box payload of 200lbs ish was kind of useless.

"Utes" and "bakkies" - car-based little pickup trucks - are everywhere in South and Central America, and in South Africa. Those are mostly same-general-idea as the old VW Rabbit pickup, transverse engine, front-drive, unibody. Maverick follows that general idea but a bit bigger.

The Australian utes, a bit bigger and based on Australian Ford Falcon and Holden Commodore rear-drive car platforms, have gone away - no longer in production, sadly. They went away when the related rear-drive full-size vehicle platforms stopped being manufactured in Australia completely. The last generation Holden Ute was a great looking vehicle.

Ford Rangers and similar separate-frame-and-body pickups from other manufacturers are really common in Australia now. Rangers for the Australian market are assembled in Thailand.

Australia has a Ranger-truck-based SUV called the Everest, which isn't a Bronco, which we don't get.

Maybe the success of the Maverick might poke the other manufacturers into building pickup trucks that are something smaller than ginormous.

"Utes" and "bakkies" - car-based little pickup trucks - are everywhere in South and Central America, and in South Africa. Those are mostly same-general-idea as the old VW Rabbit pickup, transverse engine, front-drive, unibody. Maverick follows that general idea but a bit bigger.

The Australian utes, a bit bigger and based on Australian Ford Falcon and Holden Commodore rear-drive car platforms, have gone away - no longer in production, sadly. They went away when the related rear-drive full-size vehicle platforms stopped being manufactured in Australia completely. The last generation Holden Ute was a great looking vehicle.

Ford Rangers and similar separate-frame-and-body pickups from other manufacturers are really common in Australia now. Rangers for the Australian market are assembled in Thailand.

Australia has a Ranger-truck-based SUV called the Everest, which isn't a Bronco, which we don't get.

Maybe the success of the Maverick might poke the other manufacturers into building pickup trucks that are something smaller than ginormous.

my dream car is still a Holden Maloo ute but their prices are getting pretty high and with the increased cost of shipping, not sure if i'll ever be able to afford one. going the same route as R34 GTRs at this point.

imagine if we had those in North America, that's a el camino/ranchero revival.

I think that is still highly correlated to EPA using the plan area as a divisor for emissions. Absolutely idiotic metric but that's what they went with and that's what killed the last generation of mini-trucks. Similar emissions to their big brothers, half the plan area therefore "double" the emissions in the stupid regulatory scheme. It is moronic that the larger you make a vehicle, the better the emissions get on paper when you completely ignore the fact that the vast majority are single occupant vehicles punching a huge hole through the air just to game the rules.

I think that is still highly correlated to EPA using the plan area as a divisor for emissions. Absolutely idiotic metric but that's what they went with and that's what killed the last generation of mini-trucks. Similar emissions to their big brothers, half the plan area therefore "double" the emissions in the stupid regulatory scheme. It is moronic that the larger you make a vehicle, the better the emissions get on paper when you completely ignore the fact that the vast majority are single occupant vehicles punching a huge hole through the air just to game the rules.

Didn't a lot of this start with a US economic recovery plan with massive kick backs on trucks. More truck sales = an improved outlook on the economy so the manufacturers made trucks that were very car like and CEO's got fully loaded vehicles for next to nothing.

Buddy's 4X4 Ram gets ~20 L / 100 Km (14 MPG) empty. On the highway another friend says 25 L / 100 (11 MPG) on his loaded semi.

Or 1 L / Km.

main-qimg-e0084e4403147aeefdca6a49b889ff4a-lq

Didn't a lot of this start with a US economic recovery plan with massive kick backs on trucks. More truck sales = an improved outlook on the economy so the manufacturers made trucks that were very car like and CEO's got fully loaded vehicles for next to nothing.

Buddy's 4X4 Ram gets ~20 L / 100 Km (14 MPG) empty. On the highway another friend says 25 L / 100 (11 MPG) on his loaded semi.

Or 1 L / Km.

main-qimg-e0084e4403147aeefdca6a49b889ff4a-lq
There is a difference in tax treatment for trucks vs cars IIRC. Something like you can write off 100% of a truck lease but lower percentage on a car/suv lease or you are allowed a higher limit or something like that. I don't know the details, I don't use that method of tax efficiency.

There is a difference in tax treatment for trucks vs cars IIRC. Something like you can write off 100% of a truck lease but lower percentage on a car/suv lease or you are allowed a higher limit or something like that. I don't know the details, I don't use that method of tax efficiency.
The last time I had a leased car there was a standby charge that was a huge taxable benefit, somethng like 2/3 of the lease cost.

A company owned vehilce was 2% of the cost of the vehicle per month. Think about that when the boss wants to give you his 5 YO company owned MB. It's still 2% a month although the vehicle isn't worth a year's standby charge.

IIRC Poland has a weird rule...

you can't write off your car, but if your car has a separation b/w the cab and the trunk/bed then you can write it off.

So people would buy the Nissan Navara for instance, which has a separate cabin from the bed and they were stupidly popular. Or you buy a high powered wagon, and just put in a separation b/w the passenger seats and the luggage area....BOOM! Tax writeoff!

I love the Holden Commodore Ute...very sad those things never made it here. But maybe if the Maverick takes off for Ford a few of the other manufacturers will follow suit.

Just made the damn thing AWD/Hybrid...or at least RWD/Hybrid.

Back
Top Bottom