hidden camera in the living room? | GTAMotorcycle.com

hidden camera in the living room?

SkyRider

hi there, i live with roommates and my computer is in the living room. does anyone know if it is legal for me to put a hidden camera near my computer because i suspect a roommate has been messing with my computer?

thanks!

ps: can anyone cite a law from somewhere?

if its your house go ahead.
why not just lock down the computer with a password? or is a house full of techies?

If you share living quarters there might be a privacy law against it, I'm pretty sure it's illegal unless it tell them.
If it was your own home it would be perfectly legal.

A hidden nanny camera on 24/7 would be touchy / tacky in case a roomie had someone in for a bit of romance while others were out. However if it was a webcam type device linked to your computer it would be them turning it on. If they were told not to use the computer they would be shooting themselves in the foot or wherever the camera was aimed.

We've all seen nanny cam vids of kids being slapped around so vids are being made but I can't cite legalities.

OP, I think the first thing to ask yourself is this: what do you intend to do with the footage? Will you use it as evidence to evict your roommate? Will you make public the footage on youtube? Or, will you use it simply for your own purposes to confirm your suspicions?

In Ontario, as is the case with other provinces, there is a reasonable expectation of privacy. And the level of privacy depends on the context. For instance, making a recording of your roommate in his bedroom or bathroom is far different than making a recording in a living room (where the expectation of privacy is less).

If you want to look at laws, you'll have to look at three levels: (1) judge-made laws (common-law), in terms of invasion of privacy in tort law; (2) criminal law; and (3) maybe even statutes (PIPEDA).

But, with that said, I think you may be over-thinking things. If your concern is getting sued for invasion of privacy, then consider this: litigation is expensive, and the amounts awarded for damages (assuming your roommate is successful in pleading his case) is likely not worth his time.

If you are really concerned about getting sued, then you can get some free legal advice at either York or UofT's Community Legal Clinics.

Do you really wanna catch your roomie with his pants down, rubbing one out?

Do you really wanna catch your roomie with his pants down, rubbing one out?

If its a girl then why not?
Didn't think he specify guy.

Ps. I don't condone this type of activity

Sent from my tablet using my paws

If its a girl then why not?
Didn't think he specify guy.

What if it's an ugly girl? :cool:

OP, if you can install it to be activated by motion around the computer but not regular living room activities, you might be in the clear.

If you don't trust your roommate... get another roommate!

Messing with.... how? Damaging, or just using it? Have you asked the person about it?

Does your computer have a camera on the monitor? I'm sure there's some type of software that'll snap a picture when it's turned on.

go to CTC and buy one to the motion activated video cameras the hunters use to find deer. $99.
Load your computer screensaver with a picture of a huge hairy dick.
Capture image of your roomie seeing the huge dick and put the photo on your fridge door.

Bonus is those hunter cameras are already camo painted so you dont need to hide it, its camo.

Does your computer have a camera on the monitor? I'm sure there's some type of software that'll snap a picture when it's turned on.

There most definitely is software that will take a snap shot with the web cam when someone uses your computer.

A simpler solution would be just to put a password on it. I thought Windows now made you do that by default, anyway.

thnx for the reply guys. well i called a police station and spoke to a cop that he said if my intent to set up a hidden cam is to protect my property (it is) then yes i can do so. also i'm setting it up in the living room and there's a far less reasonable expectation of privacy in this area, no invasion of privacy there.

I would just f-ck with roomate's stuff in return lol

thnx for the reply guys. well i called a police station and spoke to a cop that he said if my intent to set up a hidden cam is to protect my property (it is) then yes i can do so. also i'm setting it up in the living room and there's a far less reasonable expectation of privacy in this area, no invasion of privacy there.

Yeah I thought if it was public space it was ok. I'm always careful taking advice from cops because in my experience they don't actually know the laws they are supposed to enforce. I still don't get why a simple password won't help you out.

5NPh0.jpg

I still don't get why a simple password won't help you out.

it's because i dont want people to touch my stuff period. the hidden cam is there to gather evidence if anyone attempts to mess with my computer.

me: hey did you try to go on my computer?
roommate: no i did not
me: the hidden cam video clearly shows you did.

Back
Top Bottom