Helmet bug juice! | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Helmet bug juice!

Take a rag or even paper towel, dampen it with warm water, place it over the visor or other affected area for a minute or so. Remove the damp rag and now the dried up bug goop (that could scratch the visor if wiped while dry) is now loosened up and is a quick wipe away from clean.

This.

I don't bother with fancy products and microfiber towels.
Paper towel and a bit of water.

On my evening ride I normally get a few bugs hitting my helmet, but they were out in full force tonight. Visor was covered with them and this was only after about an hour. I personally use a microfiber cloth with water (or spit). I sometimes will add a tiny bit of vinegar to the water. BTW: Never use typical household cleaners to clean your visor.

How do you deal with helmet bug juice?

Oh you city people crack me up! That's not even close to covered!!
I'll have a look on my computer once I get home, but I'm pretty sure I've got pictures of a 'covered' visor after an evening ride from Fergus back to Guelph.....about a 20 minute ride.

The wet cloth trick works great in your hotel room. Obviously you guys don't tour much. ;)

I'll have a look on my computer once I get home, but I'm pretty sure I've got pictures of a 'covered' visor after an evening ride from Fergus back to Guelph.....about a 20 minute ride.

Agreed, nothing really eyepopping as far as bug accumulation in his video. I've had far worse on mine, literally a few tiny gaps the size of the head of a pin & having to stop at 10 minute intervals, not once an hour. Watching that video, he seems a little overly dramatic about it.

It's cool when you hit a couple big ones and you get blood all over your helmet

when i stop for gas i i take some paper towel out next to the windshield wiper squeegee and dip it in the old ****** washer fluid and clean my helm, works perfect!

oh and ever time i clean my visor at home! i hit a huge bug as soon as i go down my street! everytime! always right in the middle!

Last edited:
when i stop for gas i i take some paper towel out next to the windshield wiper squeegee and dip it in the old ****** washer fluid and clean my helm, works perfect!

Bad idea!

LOTS of people use the squeegee to "mop up" gas that overflows from their filler cap, and down the side of their painted body work.

Most stations don't bother to change out the holding tank. They just add more solution as the level drops.

You'd be better off going to the bathroom and using warm water from the sink. Carry a microfiber towel on the bike. It works wonders.

I use the Rain-X summer windshield washer fluid. I put a bit on a soft cloth and it wipes the bugs off and also helps to repel moisture and fog a little.

Hydrogen peroxide ( 3% or 6%). Sold at drug stores - couple of bucks for a 150 - 200 ml bottle. Pour some into a sprayer/mister, spray your helmet/visor, let sit for a few minutes and wipe off with a wet cloth. The hydrogen peroxide breaks down the bug guts and releases it from whatever surface it's stuck to.

oh and ever time i clean my visor at home! i hit a huge bug as soon as i go down my street! everytime! always right in the middle!

LoL... Speaking of which, I just cleaned my helmet/visor this morning and 5 minutes in the ride, I get two bug right in the middle of the shield, one after the other... sucks!

Paper towel and water (warm or otherwise) works just fine for me.

I have thought, from time to time, of investing in some rain-x or whatever to shed the water on wetter days.
Meh, a quick wipe with the glove does a good enough job even then.

As far as bug-gut density, my worst ride also happened to be my fisrt with the open-face helmet - pretty disgusting, actually.

Wet paper towel at home, tear-offs while on the road.

I leave the bug guts on the visor.

Tells a warning to other insects you'll be joining if ya don't move the #!#! out of my way.

Shows them whose boss.

Back
Top Bottom