Helmet bug juice! | GTAMotorcycle.com

Helmet bug juice!

RodneyBR

Site Supporter
On my evening ride I normally get a few bugs hitting my helmet, but they were out in full force tonight. Visor was covered with them and this was only after about an hour. I personally use a microfiber cloth with water (or spit). I sometimes will add a tiny bit of vinegar to the water. BTW: Never use typical household cleaners to clean your visor.

How do you deal with helmet bug juice?

[video=youtube;_TwtIwr3VpQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TwtIwr3VpQ[/video]

No household cleaners? Usually I find a spray of "Pledge" with a soft cloth. No scratches and the bugs come off easier the next time around.

Yes, tonight they were out in full force indeed. I use dish washing liquid and water and dry with a micro fiber cloth.

I use warm water and hand soap then dry with a microfiber cloth. I also use plexus afterwards, keeps it looking new.

ive noticed that to but only on my hjc and shoei helmets. my hi viz icon helmet has no bug issues... i guess if they can see it they fly out of the way

Don't eat the green ones.The brown ones have a nutty kinda flavour. :)

Lavender baby shampoo + water soaked into a microfiber cloth then wrap the visor for 5 minutes, quick wipe and it's good to go.

On my ride today I hit about every bug in existence. At one point I had a live wasp on the inside of my visor. I pulled over to make sure the wasp was out, and saw that my helmet looked like a Vietnam battleground. I carry a hand towel in my bag, and luckily I had a bottle of water in there as well. It cleaned up really well with just the rag and water

Take a rag or even paper towel, dampen it with warm water, place it over the visor or other affected area for a minute or so. Remove the damp rag and now the dried up bug goop (that could scratch the visor if wiped while dry) is now loosened up and is a quick wipe away from clean. After drying, spray down with a good plastic cleaner like Plexus to help prevent the accumulation next time and make cleaning easier. Works similarly well for the nose fairing and windscreen, which similarly take a pretty good beating from the bugs.

Vietnam battleground.... good one :)

On my ride today I hit about every bug in existence. At one point I had a live wasp on the inside of my visor. I pulled over to make sure the wasp was out, and saw that my helmet looked like a Vietnam battleground. I carry a hand towel in my bag, and luckily I had a bottle of water in there as well. It cleaned up really well with just the rag and water

Wear an open face....soap and water works just fine. ;)

Yes, tonight they were out in full force indeed. I use dish washing liquid and water and dry with a micro fiber cloth.

+1... I just put a couple of drops in a small bowl and use the foam to clean the visor, work great and looks like new after drying with a micro fiber cloth.

On my evening ride I normally get a few bugs hitting my helmet, but they were out in full force tonight. Visor was covered with them and this was only after about an hour. I personally use a microfiber cloth with water (or spit). I sometimes will add a tiny bit of vinegar to the water. BTW: Never use typical household cleaners to clean your visor.

How do you deal with helmet bug juice?

And what's your reason for not using household chemicals?

I always carry a can of Plexus and a clean cotton cloth with me for those emergency cleanings mid-ride. Plexus will dissolve those bug guts and leave your helmet and visor shiny clean. It is available at most motorcyle stores (GP Bikes is one I know of.) I've been using it for years on my helmets, visors, windshields, and occasionally I clean/polish the fairing and gas tank on my bike with it. It always leaves a nice shine and also takes out those hazy micro-scratches that are so irritating when you are riding into the sun.

However... Plexus is now outrageously overpriced (around $23 for a large can) so I have been experimenting with different visor/plastic cleaners... These are excellent alternatives:
Here is the link to Plexus at GP bikes ... they have it on sale for $19.32/can http://www.gpbikes.com/eshopprod_ca...288_keyword_plexus.PLEXUS_PLASTIC_CLEANER.htm

Costco sells plastic eyeglass cleaner for ten bucks, three large bottles, three mini bottles, and three mini wipes. A mini bottle and wipe in my tank bag at all times, and I can spritz the visor and polish off the bugs while at a long stop light if necessary. My M2 brother dropped in on Thursday night with a face full of bugs and got gifted with three dollars worth of cure. :)

Costco sells plastic eyeglass cleaner for ten bucks, three large bottles, three mini bottles, and three mini wipes. A mini bottle and wipe in my tank bag at all times, and I can spritz the visor and polish off the bugs while at a long stop light if necessary. My M2 brother dropped in on Thursday night with a face full of bugs and got gifted with three dollars worth of cure. :)

Wicked, thats good to carry since its so small. I just used to use warm water, and a micro cloth.

Back
Top Bottom