Grocery store boycott | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Grocery store boycott

Most of the people boycotting, like in other protests, have no idea exactly why they're doing it, or what they're hoping to achieve.

Most of the people boycotting, like in other protests, have no idea exactly why they're doing it, or what they're hoping to achieve.
Helps them feel better about sticking it to the man.

I’m all honesty, it’s the apathy of the general population that doesn’t help these protests actually make a difference.

Now the French, those mofos know how to protest and burn down a city over anything.we should be like France.

Galen Jr. is worth $2 billion. Who's going to starve to death first, him or Joe the shipper at the widget factory?

The Roblaws stores are upscale because rich people spend more money than poor people and who cares about the poor.

I doubt it will do anything. That being said, I am avoiding Roblaws. Hopefully this shows up on their quarterly revenue (but I have my doubts). Since government doesn't want to break the empire, hopefully this hurts the stock price by missing expectations and makes Roblaws change something. I doubt this will affect quarterly earning and have even less hope of it hitting the stock price. That being said, it isn't hard for me to do so I'll try. On the upside, some people that go elsewhere for a month may find that the alternate is better for various reasons and never come back.

Their stock is fine…I believe they just raised their dividend.

1715263215109.png

Their stock is fine…I believe they just raised their dividend.

View attachment 67640
Any potential impact of the stock won't be until after quarterly results including boycott are presented. It is almost more likely that a failed boycott will bump stock price by showing that even in the face of a concerted effort Roblaws is able to meet targets and increase profit.

Any potential impact of the stock won't be until after quarterly results including boycott are presented. It is almost more likely that a failed boycott will bump stock price by showing that even in the face of a concerted effort Roblaws is able to meet targets and increase profit.
So…time to buy? I think their stock went up the day the boycott started…which is the same day their raised their dividend.

So…time to buy? I think their stock went up the day the boycott started…which is the same day their raised their dividend.
I don't buy companies that I believe are evil and have tied their profitability to government lack of brains. I don't have robellus nor loblaws. Sure, I'm missing out on possible returns but I can get them elsewhere without encouraging ahole corporations taking advantage of canadians.

I found out by accident that I can save $35 - $50 a month by going to Food Basic.
Metro use to be my go to, 3 minutes away, but when they went on strike, the next closest was FB.
Been going there ever since.
Haven't been to a Roblaws or any of their other stores for maybe 20 years.

its no accident you can save a small fortune on basics at FoodBasics, if you want stuff liked canned tomatos ect you can save often 50cents a tin. I'm not saying look for steak but a cabbage is a cabbage . I used to think my time was worth more then going store to store , but I can be in / out in 15 mins and save $20. Thats ok

its no accident you can save a small fortune on basics at FoodBasics, if you want stuff liked canned tomatos ect you can save often 50cents a tin. I'm not saying look for steak but a cabbage is a cabbage . I used to think my time was worth more then going store to store , but I can be in / out in 15 mins and save $20. Thats ok
Yeah, I think you end up spending more if you drive to multiple stores to save 25 cents here and there.
It's like the people that drive all over to save 2 cents a litre on gas, I think they end up losing more than they save..
People who put no value on their time confuse me... My time is very valuable to me, get in and get out is the way to go..

Yeah, I think you end up spending more if you drive to multiple stores to save 25 cents here and there.
It's like the people that drive all over to save 2 cents a litre on gas, I think they end up losing more than they save..
People who put no value on their time confuse me... My time is very valuable to me, get in and get out is the way to go..
When I lived in Mimico I tried the whole 'buy local from local grocers' thing...eff that.

5 stores to get all the things I could get at the local No Frills within 30min. And back then (12 year ago) the price difference was super small, but with the added frustration of not being able to 'one stop shop'.

I have three major grocery, a food basics and a specialty store within a 5 min circle from tbe house and most I drive past out or home from work. Pretty spoiled from a convenience factor down here

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

My wife does it but she organizes it like a military mission. She clips coupons, price matches, stocks up on non perishables etc. I think she enjoys the hunt.

People in condos have a different problem. A well to do friend in a very pricey condo can afford to buy the hay bale size bundle of toilet paper but has nowhere to store it.

When I lived in Mimico I tried the whole 'buy local from local grocers' thing...eff that.

5 stores to get all the things I could get at the local No Frills within 30min. And back then (12 year ago) the price difference was super small, but with the added frustration of not being able to 'one stop shop'.
The "Shop local" thing only goes so far and works best if the shopper has all day to prepare a meal.

I one lives in an idyllic village steps away from all the wee shops, one walks along picking up veggies from the green grocer, a bit of meat from the butcher and some spices from the general store. Each purchase includes meeting with other villagers and exchanging gossip.

My S-I-L was visiting and when I served some home made mushroom soup she commented that she wished her husband would do some cooking. I pointed out that if she included her husband's time (P.eng) the soup was $50 a bowl.

I don't buy companies that I believe are evil and have tied their profitability to government lack of brains. I don't have robellus nor loblaws. Sure, I'm missing out on possible returns but I can get them elsewhere without encouraging ahole corporations taking advantage of canadians.
It's a bleak future if you follow the teachings put forth in "Limits to Growth"

If publicly traded companies don't show growth, shares plummet. How much more profit can they suck out of the buying public. At some point the house of credit cards collapses and any vestige of ethics disappears.

Discussion on radicalization usually centers on religious zealots. If our system runs out of ink and collapses like some banana republics do the poor radicalize? They've taken over the parks, what's next?

The four closest to me are No Frills, Wally World, Sobeys, then Fortinos. The Sobeys and Fortinos charge the Deplorables Free Zone tax, so they're out. I ain't throwing away money so I can shop while being basked in light from artisanal pot lighting. Was thinking about checking out the nearest Food Basic in Westdale. I had a look at their flyer and the prices, at least in that sampling, didn't look that much better than No Frills. Wally World it is, at least for this month.....because Galen.

The four closest to me are No Frills, Wally World, Sobeys, then Fortinos. The Sobeys and Fortinos charge the Deplorables Free Zone tax, so they're out. I ain't throwing away money so I can shop while being basked in light from artisanal pot lighting. Was thinking about checking out the nearest Food Basic in Westdale. I had a look at their flyer and the prices, at least in that sampling, didn't look that much better than No Frills. Wally World it is, at least for this month.....because Galen.
I don't buy anything from Wally world ever they are far worse than the alternative in every way.

Sent from the future

Already rarely go to Loblaws, too much of the "buy 2 or 3 for sale price"
And i'm normally on the motorbike so not useful

Sadly loblaws and shoppers are the closest ones but we already have been planning our groceries around costco and food basics mostly
I'll shop sales at farm boy's too which will, surprisingly, be cheaper than those stores on their sales

Back
Top Bottom