Grocery store boycott | GTAMotorcycle.com

Grocery store boycott

mimico_polak

Site Supporter
Anyone in on this? Lots of chatter on Reddit and social media on boycotting loblaws and their subsidiaries.

While I’m not big on grocery shopping outside of Walmart or Costco, I can see the frustration as we continue to get effed by companies crying ‘inflation’ and just sticking it to us up the bum.

Anyone in on this? Lots of chatter on Reddit and social media on boycotting loblaws and their subsidiaries.

While I’m not big on grocery shopping outside of Walmart or Costco, I can see the frustration as we continue to get effed by companies crying ‘inflation’ and just sticking it to us up the bum.

Inflation or price fixing? Hasn't there been two class-action lawsuits just for bread?

How many brands does Loblaws own? Boycott one store only to shop at another they own??
1714944892832.png

Inflation or price fixing? Hasn't there been two class-action lawsuits just for bread?
Why not both? And you’re right, there have been at least 2 and obviously they’ve done nothing

Only place I've seen anything about a boycott was CBC.

Rarely grocery shop at the big box stores and have not been to a Loblaws (or LCL to the "insiders") or any of its affiliates for almost 10 years.
Get my stuff at the ethnic stores (Polish/Portuguese/South Asian/Chinese/Filipino, yes in that order of preference)

I was a huge Loblaws shopper. I would constantly buy things on the Flashfood app, and of course, pick up other stuff while I was there. I came across the thread on Reddit and have been boycotting them since May 1. It probably won't do anything in the end, but I just feel like I have to do something. They have price fixed, price gouged, and begun to treat their customers like thieves.

I will continue to shop where I find the best specials. If Zehrs/No Frills has what I need for the best price, that's where I'm going. We don't have many choices here in Orangeville (Zehrs, No Frills, Sobeys, Freshco, Metro and Walmart). It takes just a few minutes to drive between any of them, so we shop at all of them.

I've been boycotting stores almost every week for that past 20 years. Like other have posted I shop when I find the best deals within my area.
I have not been to Loblaws in over 10 years and they're doing just fine and will continue to do so. While this might make a small dip in their profits, most if not all the people on these social media groups are just keyboard warriors and will back to Loblaws as soon as they run out of chips...

I've been boycotting stores almost every week for that past 20 years. Like other have posted I shop when I find the best deals within my area.
I have not been to Loblaws in over 10 years and they're doing just fine and will continue to do so. While this might make a small dip in their profits, most if not all the people on these social media groups are just keyboard warriors and will back to Loblaws as soon as they run out of chips...
I’d go one further and say majority of the keyboard warriors are still shopping at Loblaws….they just won’t admit to it.

Where do you shop else where?

Loblaw operates under many banners throughout Canada, so as to appeal to different niches but also to present the illusion of greater competition. While most of these banners are not likely to be abandoned in the near future, during much of the 2000s, the company focused on developing the large-format Real Canadian Superstore banner, which is gradually replacing some Loblaws and Zehrs locations in Ontario, as a national rival to Walmart Canada.[citation needed]

Additionally, as part of a 2006 agreement with unionized employees in Ontario, Loblaw announced that it would introduce a new food-centred supermarket format (originally called the "Great Canadian Food Store") for locations not converted to the Superstore format. This format has since opened under the name "Loblaw Great Food". In total, 44 existing Ontario stores were planned to be converted to either the Superstore or Great Food format between 2006 and 2010, in addition to new construction and existing Superstores.[citation needed]

The banners are listed below based primarily on their 2006 format classifications within Loblaw,[90] though some individual locations may not match the specified format.

Superstore[edit]

"Great Food"[edit]

Primarily franchised[edit]

Hard discount[edit]

Wholesale / Cash and carry[edit]

• Atlantic Cash & Carry (Atlantic Canada)
  • Entrepôts Presto (Quebec)
  • Club Entrepôt (Quebec – formerly Club Entrepôt Provigo)
  • NG Cash & Carry (Ontario) – took on the old National Grocers Co. Ltd banner
  • Wholesale Club (Ontario, Western Canada and Nova Scotia)

Liquor[edit]

Defunct banners[edit]

• Atlantic SuperValu (Atlantic Canada) – operated by Loblaw's Atlantic Wholesalers in the 1990s and became Atlantic Superstore
  • Bells Markets (Western New York)
  • Better Foods Markets (Los Angeles)
  • Busy-B (Ontario)
  • Econo-Mart (Western Canada)
  • Gordon's (Ontario)
  • Louis Stores (Oakland, California)
  • OK Economy (Western Canada, Ontario)
  • Mr. Grocer (Ontario) – rebranded Dominion stores and sold by A&P Canada to National Grocers; name later phased out
  • Power (Ontario) – began as one store in Toronto in 1904 by Samuel and Sarah Weinstein and sold to Loblaws in 1953 and re-branded in 1972;[37]
  • SaveEasy (Atlantic Canada) - rebranded as Your Independent Grocer
  • Super Centre (Southern and Southwestern Ontario) – stores converted to other Loblaw's brands and some sold off
  • IGA (supermarkets) (Atlantic Canada) rebranded as other Loblaws banners

In-store brands[edit]

Loblaw has a number of common products and services at many of its stores regardless of banner. These include:

• President's Choice, no name and T&T private label products
  • DRUGStore Pharmacy and Loblaw Pharmacy.
  • "Upstairs at (store name)", a community room / cooking school. The cooking school offers kids, adults and teen cooking classes. As well, community room space is available for rent, and completely organized cooking birthday parties are available for children ages 5–16.
  • Joe Fresh, a clothing line, accessories. Joe Fresh cosmetics have now been rebranded to Quo (which is also a Shoppers Drug Mart brand.)
  • President's Choice Financial, an issuer of Mastercard credit cards.
  • PC Optimum, a rewards program designed to give points on online offers, through the PC Optimum app, and in-store offers.
  • PC Express, an online click and collect program available at certain Loblaw banner stores.
  • J± (stationery, batteries)
  • Jogi (sports accessories)
  • Jet Set Go (travel accessories)
  • Life (over-the-counter pharmacy items), the Exact brand is discontinued.
  • Life (over-the-counter medicinal accessories)
  • The Mobile Shop (Mobile Phone sellers)
  • Teddy's Choice (children's items)
  • Theodore & Pringle (optometrists)

Petroleum[edit]

Loblaw used to operate gas stations co-located with 213 of its stores, under brands such as Gas Bar, At The Pumps, À pleins gaz, and Refuel. In 2017, Loblaw announced that it had sold these operations to Brookfield Business Partners for $540 million. The stations were subsequently rebranded as Mobil.[91][92]

I don't get how boycotting Loblaws can do anything. The problem isn't Loblaws, the problem is there are three companies than control 90% of grocery sales in Canada.
It isn't as simple as opening a new store... the new store needs stock to put on the shelves, so you need a warehouse and trucks and a REALLY big freezer... so economy of scale means it'll cost billions to penetrate the Canadian market and be competitive.
Canada is a hard place to do a national business. Big place, with low population areas that we have decided needs subsidizing. It's easy to make money in Toronto or Vancouver, less so in Nunavut... so we gave away the store to monopolies. Phone monopolies, media monopolies, railway monopolies, airlines... the list goes on... and it worked for a long time, we paid MORE but you could get a phone line in Moosonee or there WAS a flight to Fort Nelson and the IGA (Independent Grocer's Association) store could buy stock from anywhere they wanted.
And then came Reaganomics and deregulation and we lost all that.

Lobby all you want, the liberals just give them your money anyways

How much did Metro get, Jag?

Like almost all other protests in this country, it will go relatively unnoticed. The parking lots are still full. In my opinion you would need an extremely famous person IE Taylor Swift or the like to go on their platform and say "Don't buy gas from xxx company on this day" to actually make a noticeable impact on that particular business. And if all goes well, do it the next week, and the next week etc until the company vows to actually listen and maybe steer their ship to only make 300 million that year instead of making 400 million for slightly more affordable prices. A couple of Reddit group posts aren't going to do much.

Back
Top Bottom