Getting ready for the season | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Getting ready for the season

I'm determined to make some positive changes in my life.

I have a digital Amazon Basics food scale at home and it's really eye opening to see what the recommended portion size / weight of food is.

I like to have Harvest Crunch granola as a snack. 1/3 cup, 45g, is 200 calories.

I weighed out what 45 grams looks like and it's pretty much a large handful. To burn off that handful would take about 40 minutes of walking.

I'm definitely going to be more mindful of that in the future and weigh out some food. It may seem extreme, but complaining about something and not doing anything about it won't produce results.

Logging my food and buying a bluetooth scale, synced up with my Fitbit, should help to keep me accountable to myself.

I'm not obese, slightly overweight, but there's always room for improvement, especially with a sedentary office job

I know a couple of people that have had gastric bypass surgery and since they can't eat a lot their intake has to very balanced. There is some very interesting balance issues to get the right mix of nutrients.

I have the opposite problem from most where I can’t keep weight on but it’s a challenge regardless.

Biggest thing like mentioned is log everything. Some things I do
- record every workout. Weights/reps and any notes from that day like how I felt, if I’m falling behind etc
- follow the same plan. I don’t change my workouts around really. Set it and forget it till later.
- count calories and some macronutrients (I don’t get crazy with this)
- take pictures. Seriously. Huge motivation seeing the results. Can’t see it on a daily basis obviously but if you take a pic at the beginning of every month and putting the work in you’ll notice
- find a fitness database online and see where you stack up to others in your age group/fitness level. I find this both motivating and reassuring that I’m on the right track.

@Joe Bass lol I get that a lot. I don’t enjoy the struggle anymore then others though.

I’m 5’8” walking around at 140lbs right now. If I tried hard I could get to 145lb in about 6-8 weeks. I could drop 5 pounds in 2 days if I wanted and/or slacked on getting food in. I would be very happy at 150lb but I’ve only hit that once before for a week or so.

@blackcamaro : I hate you.
That is all.
Also, I may have gained weight while composing this post.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
Don't worry too much. My little brother was like that, right up until he turned 30, he had about 8% body fat and couldn't gain weight at all.

There aren't too many around who are like my dad's friend and still weigh 160- lbs in their late eighties.

I am trying intermittent fasting. and doing some classes at the community centre ie foam rolling, yoga, fusion (yoga/pilate).
gear is expensive and beer taste great!

Gaining some motivations off this sub. Weight room and IF tomorrow.

I would pay to see that, but then I guess that defeats the no-one watching clause. Damn your legal mumbo jumbo!
Truth be told, IDGAF what people think, I dance whenever tf I want! Lol!

And, imho, I'm not a terrible dancer....and not just for a fat guy.

My biggest issue is just getting up and moving.
Just going for walks are incredible for weight control and improving mood.

I need to do that more.

Now where's that Interrupters / Rancid playlist??

Last edited:
I'll echo the IF recommendations.
I don't quite do it properly with 16+ hour long fasts. I eat last night's home cooked dinner for breakfast at 630am(biggest portion), and dinner after 630pm.

No need for additional food during the day (oatmeal if I do), but I do not hesitate to grab a doughnut or catered food when available. The key for me is moderation. I'll stick to my "gameplan" Monday through Friday but for 2-3 days/month, weekends are not as structured. If I know I hate a _______ during the day, I'll do some extra lifts in the evening. Once you establish a "baseline" for maintaining/cutting/gaining weight, it all becomes easy. If you do heavy lifting/activity the day before, you'll probably be hungry mid-way through the day, all other things equal. (if your goal is to cut weight, probably skip this craving or have something that is nutrient-dense, vice versa if you are aiming to gain weight)

After 5 or so years of the above, I know how to "offset" indulgences either by lifting more, or with enough notice, eating a bit less in the previous/next day. I don't like doing the 16+ hour fasts (where compounded benefits are certainly found) because I am constantly thinking about the next meal, and I do not find it personally sustainable for 365 days. I do however do 16+hour fasts if I happen to find myself in a scenario where it is easy to do (driving long distance) here and there. 6am to 6pm?--ez pz.

I'll add that there is nothing but benefits from: 7-8hours of sleep, the sauna (I go 3-6x a week), swimming, hot yoga.

I would also remind you that 'health and wellness' is a long game. Try not to burn yourself out in the first few months by killing yourself to "sticking with it". That means something different for everyone, but try not to get hurt, don't push it if you are already hurt. 90% for the rest of your life is better than 101% for 1 week/1 month/6 months/1 year.

Last edited:
Over the last 2 years being a psw for my wife, i have been trying to make sure she eats properly. I've gained about 15lb.

Over the last 2 years being a psw for my wife, i have been trying to make sure she eats properly. I've gained about 15lb.

Interesting. I had an uncle who was healthy until 85 and lived to 90. His wife was diabetic and as he put it "I ate what she ate." That is different from the personal care bit as every medical condition has specific needs.

A PSW has to take care of themselves as well. If they don't two lives go to ruin.

We had super neighbours in their senior years but unfortunately the wife came down with a neurological problem leading to a gradual paralysis. They were trying to stay in their home (Bungalow). She slipped trying to do something she shouldn't have been doing and he couldn't even try to pick her up. I went over and helped but picking up a limp body is very difficult.

He had been warned by the nurses that if he tried to lift her he would throw out his back and they would not be able to stay in the house.

Didn't recognize a girl at my kid's daycare.
Intermittent fasting and LCHF diet and she's down 53 lbs.
We had a little chat about it and the next day I swore I wouldn't eat my first meal until 9 am (instead of 530 am).
I made it to 615 am.
I have zero willpower.

Will try again tomorrow.
Large tea on the way to work and hoping to wait until 9 am for bacon, eggs and avocado, drizzled with hot sauce.

Going shopping today and will try not to bring home a bunch of snacks.

Didn't recognize a girl at my kid's daycare.
Intermittent fasting and LCHF diet and she's down 53 lbs.
We had a little chat about it and the next day I swore I wouldn't eat my first meal until 9 am (instead of 530 am).
I made it to 615 am.
I have zero willpower.

Will try again tomorrow.
Large tea on the way to work and hoping to wait until 9 am for bacon, eggs and avocado, drizzled with hot sauce.

Going shopping today and will try not to bring home a bunch of snacks.

Keep trying JB! I've been going fairly well with the IF at camp this week. It's tough....but doable. I have a dinner around 6:30pm (depending when work finishes) and then a black coffee (or 2....or 3) in the morning until about 11am. I find that I'm starting by 9:30, and a bottle of water will get rid of that hunger.

Most times I make it until 11am, but there's a handful of days I lasted until 10:30. I'm not worried. Don't get discouraged by minor setbacks. Going from normal eating to a 16:8 or whatnot...doesn't happen overnight.

This is the best weight loss article I've read on the net.
While I didn't use macros in my weight loss (about 50lbs total 236->185) I was running a calorie deficit (counting calories. Then changed to a diet of eating enough good foods & less of the other stuff while still having good stuff like beer & pizza once in a while (only weekends and not every meal) & held in the mid 190's for over a year . I have gained some back (about 10lbs right now) but that was because of not watching what I was eating on vacation & the holidays at all & knowing I was gonna restrict in the new year.
I'm currently restricting to 8oz protein/8oz carb (incd fruit& some veg)/24oz veg. 4x day. No sugar of any kind & no alcohol to get back to that low-mid 190s I know I can hold. Workouts being Crossfit - 3x week.

Keep trying JB! I've been going fairly well with the IF at camp this week. It's tough....but doable. I have a dinner around 6:30pm (depending when work finishes) and then a black coffee (or 2....or 3) in the morning until about 11am. I find that I'm starting by 9:30, and a bottle of water will get rid of that hunger.

Most times I make it until 11am, but there's a handful of days I lasted until 10:30. I'm not worried. Don't get discouraged by minor setbacks. Going from normal eating to a 16:8 or whatnot...doesn't happen overnight.

100%

90% of the next 30 years > 99.999% for 6 months.

Made it 830 am today.
At about 645 am I thought I was gonna barf because I was so hungry, but I put on some music and concentrated on work.
First break is at 9am. That is the goal.
Then once that becomes ok, then gonna try for lunchtime (11 am).
And then not eat after 7 pm.

Also cutting back on bread and pasta....or at least trying to.

Back
Top Bottom