Getting ready for the season | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Getting ready for the season

I'm giving the 8/16 a go. The 16 is fixed but the 8 sometimes gets stretched to longer so breakfast ends up as brunch. I feel better but a lot of that is due to with no snacks later in the day. I'm going through Cheezie withdrawal.

Had some eye opening situation at work yesterday. Came onto site, saw a buddy of mine, had some jokes, blah blah blah....I went to bed, he went to work....massive heart attack within 3 hours and never made it off site alive.

He was old, fat, and a great jolly good man. I miss him, even though we weren't very close just work colleagues. But he's gone.

Scale at home says I weigh 178....work scale (mechanical) says 183...I've gone back to IF, and I hit the gym again today after injuring my shoulder from lifting too much. Going slow but will update after this rotation to see where I stand at the end.

Take care of your body, if you don't, no one will. You could see the look on the faces of the older/fatter guys...they just sank. And they even spoke privately about having to make changes because they know they're in bad shape.

Yeah stuff happens fast, and not just to fat guys.

At cardiac rehab there was a pharmacist in the class, tall Asian guy seemed fairly healthy. His story woke up one night thought he had indigestion, but had enough knowledge not to dismiss it. Next thing he’s having a heart attack and his wife is racing him to the nearest hospital. As you get older you need to have yearly check ups.

That is sad. RIP to your coworker.

We never know when the day will come. The best we can do it lead a lifestyle that will prolong that as much as possible. Healthy eating and exercise.

Although I am not overweight (5'6, 180ish lbs), and don't necessarily eat poorly (home cooked meals, no fast/junk food) I know I can do better.
I have never really been a gym type of guy. Combination of lack of time and low interest. I prefer to participate in a sport than hit the gym for a specific routine of exercise. I do play rec soccer once a week but I don't think that is enough.
I know that I can and will need to do better as 40 is creeping up in a a few years. Much easier to get a head start than work backwards when you are in a hole already.

Yeah stuff happens fast, and not just to fat guys.

At cardiac rehab there was a pharmacist in the class, tall Asian guy seemed fairly healthy. His story woke up one night thought he had indigestion, but had enough knowledge not to dismiss it. Next thing he’s having a heart attack and his wife is racing him to the nearest hospital. As you get older you need to have yearly check ups.

An acquaintance's husband in his early 30ish was having some heart issues, not feeling well etc.
Went to get checked out, turns out he had 99% blockage in his heart.

Young guy, didn't smoke, also exercised, ate well etc.

He was luck he caught it in time. Now he is on a baby aspirin for the rest of this life, once a day.

Find something that you love doing and it won’t seem like a work out. I train jiu jitsu , crossfit amd Muay Thai year round .

We never know when the day will come. The best we can do it lead a lifestyle that will prolong that as much as possible. Healthy eating and exercise.

Although I am not overweight (5'6, 180ish lbs), and don't necessarily eat poorly (home cooked meals, no fast/junk food) I know I can do better.
I have never really been a gym type of guy. Combination of lack of time and low interest. I prefer to participate in a sport than hit the gym for a specific routine of exercise. I do play rec soccer once a week but I don't think that is enough.
I know that I can and will need to do better as 40 is creeping up in a a few years. Much easier to get a head start than work backwards when you are in a hole already.
Thanks. He was a good guy.

We've met so neither of us is overweight, but I know I could stand to lose a few pounds. And that's what I'm trying to do, and get into the weights again and some cardio.

Unfortunately being on site...it's very difficult. We're not allowed to walk outside beyond the camp (bears, wolves, moose, wolverines, etc.) so we are limited to a small camp (can't even walk to the actual site) so the small gym is all I have. Camp food....well the only real option is to limit portion sizes, and the IF method.

Had some eye opening situation at work yesterday. Came onto site, saw a buddy of mine, had some jokes, blah blah blah....I went to bed, he went to work....massive heart attack within 3 hours and never made it off site alive.

He was old, fat, and a great jolly good man. I miss him, even though we weren't very close just work colleagues. But he's gone.

Scale at home says I weigh 178....work scale (mechanical) says 183...I've gone back to IF, and I hit the gym again today after injuring my shoulder from lifting too much. Going slow but will update after this rotation to see where I stand at the end.

Take care of your body, if you don't, no one will. You could see the look on the faces of the older/fatter guys...they just sank. And they even spoke privately about having to make changes because they know they're in bad shape.

Would it have been worse if he had major damage and ended up drooling in a wheelchair for the rest of his life, dependent on someone changing his diaper?

A lot of people think all heart attacks are blowouts and you're gone. They aren't. Think about how the rest of the family will be affected. "Oh, let's go to the park. Who gets to push daddy's wheelchair?"

Would it have been worse if he had major damage and ended up drooling in a wheelchair for the rest of his life, dependent on someone changing his diaper?

A lot of people think all heart attacks are blowouts and you're gone. They aren't. Think about how the rest of the family will be affected. "Oh, let's go to the park. Who gets to push daddy's wheelchair?"
Agreed 100%. Dead and gone is the best solution here. I'm just sad he went away so far from home, alone, and in a work site instead of surrounded by his family and friends.

In all honesty this was best, his wife passed a few months ago and he was devastated. My FIL also passed from a heart attack (54yrs old, skinny, but sick). And while I'm sad he passed, I'm glad he didn't suffer, and didn't burden his wife and my wife with caring for a vegetable.

I read somewhere that a guy should buy himself a tuxedo when he's 30 and make sure it always fits. I didn't buy one and if I did it wouldn't fit. A python couldn't squeeze me into a 32W.

.... We're not allowed to walk outside beyond the camp (bears, wolves, moose, wolverines, etc.) ...
I think you are safe, humans are not high on the list of food source for bears, wolves, moose or wolverines. Just carry a steel bucket with you, it makes a very good defensive weapon against wild animal attack other then skunk, it's hard to defend against a skunk, they have a really good spray range.

I think you are safe, humans are not high on the list of food source for bears, wolves, moose or wolverines. Just carry a steel bucket with you, it makes a very good defensive weapon against wild animal attack other then skunk, it's hard to defend against a skunk, they have a really good spray range.
Agreed....however....this is one of those rules if you break it...off site within 24h.

Ugh....tell me about it. I've gained about 10lbs (total 180lbs right now) since I started the FIFO life. And it's all in the gut... I'm about to turn 40 also :(
Had been holding the weight gain off pretty well with the gym, but a little too much weight, wrong form, and BAM there goes the shoulder. Now getting back into it.

It's so tough with the camp lifestyle. There is practically no healthy option on site. Some ****** salad. Some bad sandwiches. That's it.

I'm trying the 'Intermittent Fasting' by having only black coffee in the morning, and then no food until 11am. Mild lunch, and big dinner. It's tough going, but it seems to be working slowly. Night shift...forget about it.

Actually considering going the meat free option a few days a week, just to try it out. Need to do something, as at this rate I'll gain another 10lbs by the end of the year.

Now excuse me, I bought half a roasted pig yesterday for our party, and half of it is still there...and it's effing delicious!
Bury the carbs, veggies and meat only. Keep up with the fast and you'll get there.

Didn't recognize a girl at my kid's daycare.
Intermittent fasting and LCHF diet and she's down 53 lbs.
We had a little chat about it and the next day I swore I wouldn't eat my first meal until 9 am (instead of 530 am).
I made it to 615 am.
I have zero willpower.

Will try again tomorrow.
Large tea on the way to work and hoping to wait until 9 am for bacon, eggs and avocado, drizzled with hot sauce.

Going shopping today and will try not to bring home a bunch of snacks.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
Eat more meat and drop the carbs (don't have a heart attack there Mr. Woodbridge). Proteins will help you feel full longer. Drop to 2 meals a day and slowly move out the morning meal an hr or a half hr a day.

Eventually you'll train your body to eat twice a day and you'll see some pretty rad results.

Keep trying JB! I've been going fairly well with the IF at camp this week. It's tough....but doable. I have a dinner around 6:30pm (depending when work finishes) and then a black coffee (or 2....or 3) in the morning until about 11am. I find that I'm starting by 9:30, and a bottle of water will get rid of that hunger.

Most times I make it until 11am, but there's a handful of days I lasted until 10:30. I'm not worried. Don't get discouraged by minor setbacks. Going from normal eating to a 16:8 or whatnot...doesn't happen overnight.
You can always adjust the hours, if you start a half hr/hr early then finish a half hr/hr early as well.

You can always adjust the hours, if you start a half hr/hr early then finish a half hr/hr early as well.
Wish it was that easy....meals are served in very specific times...and sometimes we don't actually make it back to camp for said meals. But I'm going to cut out the potatoes, and fried food (or at least remove the skin)...and of course no cookies/cakes/pastries this rotation/pop this rotation.

I did IF for a bit in the past and it worked for me.

I'm starting it again and my fast period is from around 7pm to 11am.

What helped me when I started was that orange metamucil powder (sugar free). It helped me with the transition. Plus poop looks and feels better. Don't take too much though.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

I don't know how you guys manage to IF. I'm 5'10" and 215lbs not fat and I'm hangry if I don't eat every 2-3hrs. If you've ridden with me you'll know I can fit a partially full bottle of water and 2 sandwiches in the tiny rear compartment of a GSXR1000.

I don't know how you guys manage to IF. I'm 5'10" and 215lbs not fat and I'm hangry if I don't eat every 2-3hrs. If you've ridden with me you'll know I can fit a partially full bottle of water and 2 sandwiches in the tiny rear compartment of a GSXR1000.

This is my problem too

Maybe not 2-3 hours but the hangry part I know all you well

If I do t have a substantial breakfast I am hungry by the time I’m 30 kms Into my morning drive

When I get hungry (and I failed at IF today as I'm starving after gym in the morning) I drink an entire bottle of water, a coffee, and then I'm good for a while. More water to keep myself full. Today was a failure...but tomorrow will not be.

Back
Top Bottom