Garmin Zumo 595 and windows 11 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Garmin Zumo 595 and windows 11

Norcorider

My laptop upgraded to Windows 11 and now it won't recognize my zumo 595 as a GPS. It shows it as a removable external drive but not as a GPS, which it used to with windows 10. I do see the icon on zumo that it's connected to computer.

I can't connect to Garmin express and basecamp.

Things I have tried already:
1) restart laptop
2) uninstall and reinstall the driver form Garmin website.
3) uninstall and reinstall both Garmin Express and basecamp.
4) scoured internet and Garmin tech support forums for solutions.
5) tried different cables and usb ports on the laptop.

Nothing helped. Anybody else facing same problem, any tips?

Thanks.

Can you revert back to Windows 10?
Can you use a different program than basecamp - I use MyRouteApp and like it for building routes and transferring the files to GPS.

Does Windows Device Manager recognize the Zumo or is there an exclamation icon somewhere?

Does Garmin Express recognize the Zumo when you plug it in?

Make sure Garmin Express is not running in the background at the same time as Basecamp. Might have to right button click on the Taskbar to quit it.

Any error messages on Basecamp?

Try removing the SD card from the Zumo and reconnecting.

Strange that it comes up as a connected drive but Basecamp still doesn't see it. Normally when the drive shows up the connection is good.

Do you have an old copy of MapSource you can try it with?

Does anybody know if this uses a TTL to USB convertor? I know Windows 11 breaks some ancient drivers for stuff like that

Does Windows Device Manager recognize the Zumo or is there an exclamation icon somewhere?

No
Does Garmin Express recognize the Zumo when you plug it in?
No, I tried adding a new device on Garmin express, it doesn't recognize anything plugged in.
Make sure Garmin Express is not running in the background at the same time as Basecamp. Might have to right button click on the Taskbar to quit it.
Tried, didn't help
Any error messages on Basecamp?
No errors, it just doesn't show any device connected on basecamp
Try removing the SD card from the Zumo and reconnecting.

Strange that it comes up as a connected drive but Basecamp still doesn't see it. Normally when the drive shows up the connection is good.
I know, right.
Do you have an old copy of MapSource you can try it with?
Sorry, what's that?

Do you have a USB hub you can place in between the Zumo and the computer?
No , but also Garmin tech support articles advice against it and suggest to plug in gps directly to the computer.
Garmin gps driver hasn't been updated since 2015, I am 100% sure that the issue is that win 11 doesn't support that driver anymore, hence it doesn't recognize it as GPS, but only as an external storage. However, I am perplexed why there is not chat about it on the internet.

I need to try it on somebody else's laptop.

Before Basecamp there was Mapsource which was very easy to use and infinitely more user friendly than Basecamp.

I think Garmin stopped supporting Mapsource but there are occasional places you can score a copy from.

While I love my Garmin, I won’t use Basecamp, or even Mapsource any longer, because there are much better programs out there.

@Norcorider
I see you are in Milton if your profile is correct. Msg me.
I got a PC with Win 10 you can have and use to for a temporary or permanent fix.
Nothing top of the line but will do the trick.

@Norcorider
I see you are in Milton if your profile is correct. Msg me.
I got a PC with Win 10 you can have and use to for a temporary or permanent fix.
Nothing top of the line but will do the trick.
Thanks for the offer, I will take up on that. I moved to Oakville last year.

I'll try to prep it tonight.

When can you swing by?

Can you use a different program than basecamp - I use MyRouteApp and like it for building routes and transferring the files to GPS.

Unfortunately, if Win 11 is not recognizing the GPS (and therefore, Garmin Express), then no app running on top of it will also recognize it.

Definitely some kind of HW->OS Driver issue.

I miss the days when Garmin (and other vendors) released standalone driver packages where you could manually install an .INF file. Relying on Garmin Express hides too much of the underlying process to troubleshoot problems like this.

From what I'm reading, the voltage supplied to the GPS from certain laptop's USB port is too low for the Windows 11 Device Manager to properly recognize as a GPS. It'll read it as a drive, but not a GPS. The output voltage varies from machine to machine. A powered hub might alleviate the problem.

Last edited:
FWIW, I had a difficult time connecting a Garmin 396LMT-S to W11. Plugged into the PC (a brand new build), and... nothing. Windows didn't see it; not as a GPS, not as a generic drive. Nothing! After about ten minutes, it finally came to life. Windows sees it as Zumo 396, and I can do whatever is necessary.

Edit: I also had to try three different cables before a connection could be made, so you ought to check yours.

Last edited:
@oioioi Kindly gave me his spare win 10 PC. It works on it.
Don't know what the deal with win 11, might be isolated to my laptop.

@oioioi many thanks again, let's go for a ride this season.

P.s. that's the beauty of gtam, you can get any help you seek, not only limited to bikes. :)

@oioioi Kindly gave me his spare win 10 PC. It works on it.
Don't know what the deal with win 11, might be isolated to my laptop.

@oioioi many thanks again, let's go for a ride this season.

P.s. that's the beauty of gtam, you can get any help you seek, not only limited to bikes. :)
Great news.

Happy to help when I can.

Back
Top Bottom