Ford government proposing photo radar | Page 6 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ford government proposing photo radar

100% revenue generation scheme.

Implemented around school zones first, simply to gain acceptance ... because "What about the children?"

To honestly increase road safety, the government should overhaul the licensing program that we have, and include mandatory training.

It is through education that drivers get smarter, not through fines.

What do you think? Would you be willing to make a defensive driving course mandatory in Ontario?

Implemented around school zones first, simply to gain acceptance ... because "What about the children?"

To honestly increase road safety, the government should overhaul the licensing program that we have, and include mandatory training.

What do you think? Would you be willing to make a defensive driving course mandatory in Ontario?
I'd love one. Add to that learning to change a flat tire before you're granted a license. Many people don't even know where the spare tire is, let alone how to replace it.

Gaining your license in Ontario is a joke. Not sure about the rest of Canada. There should be very stringent testing criteria, with retesting done every (let's say 5 years) to coincide with license expiry. Sure it's a cash cow for the government, and we will need all the money we can get, but it's bound to increase driver competency.

In addition, if you live in the GTA, you're not allowed to do your road test in Muskoka. Need to do your drive test in the same area you live in. Getting your license in Muskoka does NOT make you a competent driver in the GTA.

Impose limits on hp for both motorcycles, and cars along with graduated licensing.

G1/M1 - 100hp / 250cc
G2/M2 - 200hp / 500cc
G / M - Have at it

With those restrictions you don't really affect the majority of people, as most commuter cars on the roads are shy of 200hp anyway. Make it 150hp, whatever...but limit it.

Get caught breaking any of the above, X year driving ban and fines up the bum. Parents let you drive their 400hp car on a G2, fine them 2-3x your amount.

It's political suicide, but it can (and should) be done.

I would be fine with this. Too many drivers on the road I have doubts how they got their license. Most people don't even know a lot of basic rules or courtesy on the road.

Fully stop at red lights or stop signs?
Lane changes in an intersection?
Turning into the correct lane?
Keep right except to pass?

Not sure how much of it is people not knowing or not caring though.
I'd believe everyone knows you can't use your mobile but many still do it.
Educating only covers people who don't know. The people who don't care you need enforcement and that's where fines come in, speeding is usually a don't care situation.

In general, I don't hate the idea, but when a municipality designates a 4+ lane road as a community safety zone they are gaming the system. There is very little point of that restriction being in the law when they can be created at will with no regards to criteria or use.

I still haven't seen where they are setting the ticket threshold (and whether that is provincewide or does each municipality get to pick the threshold). If they set the threshold at <5 over I have a problem with this as the margin is too tight. If they set the threshold at >10 and place them in locations where it actually makes sense (ie. places where higher speeds matter not divided four lane roads) I am ok with them as you can easily drive in a manner where they do not affect you.

I thought these were school zone only but apparently not. They just need to declare a stretch a community safety zone and start the fundraising.

I knew that was going to happen. There are no set rules for what can be considered a community safety zone. No engineering studies are needed. No justification whatsoever is needed. The town council just needs to declare it so.

Entire towns will be declared community safety zones. Just watch.

Entire towns will be declared community safety zones. Just watch.

I've got a crisp Twenty here that says the People's Republic of Hamilton will be the first. Bonus cameras on every concession road with a 60 kmh limit.

I've got a crisp Twenty here that says the People's Republic of Hamilton will be the first. Bonus cameras on every concession road with a 60 kmh limit.
Brampton is trying to pull into the lead. Council wants 200 photo radar locations and are designating an additional 25 community safety zones in September.

Brampton is trying to pull into the lead. Council wants 200 photo radar locations and are designating an additional 25 community safety zones in September.

No offense to anyone living in Brampton but they have some of the worst drivers.
Combination of aggressive/dangerous and plain old oblivious, add to that 3 lane 80kph roads with a ton of tractor trailer traffic.
So glad I don't work out there anymore.

I am curious to know how well these blacked out license plate covers work. I am starting to see them used a lot more recently. Wonder why there isn't much enforcement on these. Now with the introduction of speed cameras, I'm sure I'm going to see even more of them around.

I am curious to know how well these blacked out license plate covers work. I am starting to see them used a lot more recently. Wonder why there isn't much enforcement on these. Now with the introduction of speed cameras, I'm sure I'm going to see even more of them around.
Anyone know if the speed cameras are shooting both directions or just one? It shouldn't take long for their locations to be populated on Waze.

Anyone know if the speed cameras are shooting both directions or just one? It shouldn't take long for their locations to be populated on Waze.

Why Waze? There's usually signage that lets people know that there's a photo radar up ahead, no?

Why Waze? There's usually signage that lets people know that there's a photo radar up ahead, no?
Maybe, but I suspect as they go nuts with this, they will just put signs on entry to the municipality and not bother signing individual locations.

The scamera installation will print more money if fewer people know it's there.

Locals will know where the scameras are regardless of signs. Users of Waze or other navigation systems with the ability to pre-program "hazards" will find out, regardless of signs.

cha ching.
I don't speed...99.9% of the time Im within 10% of the speed limit - pretty boring
choose your spots carefully, I haven't had a ticket in ~ 20 years.

I don't give a rat's azz ...radar away and make some tax money

take er to the track - its just right in so many ways
edit - imagine the possible track improvements if car and bike td's tripled in volume...

Last edited:
cha ching.
I don't speed...99.9% of the time Im within 10% of the speed limit - pretty boring
choose your spots carefully, I haven't had a ticket in ~ 20 years.

I don't give a rat's azz ...radar away and make some tax money

take er to the track - its just right in so many ways
So what if they issue tickets at 3 over and you get one every time you pass a camera? Still feel the same way?

... or the municipality reduces all speed limits on all roads to 40 km/h (which is the lowest recognised speed limit that the HTA allows) in order to print more money "save the children"?

Back
Top Bottom