Ford government proposing photo radar | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ford government proposing photo radar

I'm actually OK with this as it's only school zones. It'll start to enlarge the zones that they're used in. And people are either going to damage them or start slowing down in those areas (which is great in school zones). But a lot of school zones are only 40kph during certain times/months so I hope the programming reflects this as well.

EDIT: Put them on the highway but instead of putting them on the side of the road in vans/cars...just put them on the overhead signs. I remember in Australia they had warnings....Photo Radar in 1000m....500m...100m...and if you're too stupid to get that message, well you deserve the fine.

As others mentioned, it's becoming a **** show on the roads, and while always against photo radar...I'm coming around.

Agreed, this is the best way to slow down people. Radar traps on highways would be low priority IMO.
School zones or other areas you need people to slow down for. Even my rural street, its a 60 but since its open and flat, people blow down it like its an 80 doing 90+.

I'm actually OK with this as it's only school zones. It'll start to enlarge the zones that they're used in. And people are either going to damage them or start slowing down in those areas (which is great in school zones). But a lot of school zones are only 40kph during certain times/months so I hope the programming reflects this as well.

EDIT: Put them on the highway but instead of putting them on the side of the road in vans/cars...just put them on the overhead signs. I remember in Australia they had warnings....Photo Radar in 1000m....500m...100m...and if you're too stupid to get that message, well you deserve the fine.

As others mentioned, it's becoming a **** show on the roads, and while always against photo radar...I'm coming around.
in Edmonton they have red lite camera and photo radar at the same lite, so if you speed up to get through the lite they get you with the radar

Agreed, this is the best way to slow down people. Radar traps on highways would be low priority IMO.
School zones or other areas you need people to slow down for. Even my rural street, its a 60 but since its open and flat, people blow down it like its an 80 doing 90+.
We've got a similar issue on our street. Guys ripping up and down, no sidewalks. Plus there's one or two families that let their kids rip their ATV or dirt bikes on the road. Not sure how to deal with this as I've heard some neighbours called the cops on them, but no real change.

We've got a similar issue on our street. Guys ripping up and down, no sidewalks. Plus there's one or two families that let their kids rip their ATV or dirt bikes on the road. Not sure how to deal with this as I've heard some neighbours called the cops on them, but no real change.
Keep calling the police, its their responsibility so might as well remind them.

Not like they are too busy ticketing people at trinity Bellwoods anyways.

Keep calling the police, its their responsibility so might as well remind them.

Not like they are too busy ticketing people at trinity Bellwoods anyways.
I'd like to do it anonymously, as I don't want any fallout from that discussion. Frankly if they get caught driving an unlicensed, uninsured vehicle with kids in it (and no helmets) what could be the fine? Cops won't do **** except a visit. What's the penalty if the guy gets caught?

I'd like to do it anonymously, as I don't want any fallout from that discussion. Frankly if they get caught driving an unlicensed, uninsured vehicle with kids in it (and no helmets) what could be the fine? Cops won't do **** except a visit. What's the penalty if the guy gets caught?
$5000+ (no insurance, no plates, no helmets, no M license, and I think one for operating an offroad vehicle on the road). I expect most cops will just tell them to cut it out unless someone is doing something really dumb or being an ass.

$5000+ (no insurance, no plates, no helmets, no M license, and I think one for operating an offroad vehicle on the road). I expect most cops will just tell them to cut it out unless someone is doing something really dumb or being an ass.
Typically I wouldn't really care that much, but with young kids playing in the yard...those things aren't meant to stop on a dime. Sexy looking ATV for sure...but annoying as ****. Thankfully it's usually 1-2 rips up and down, so the cops would never get here in time to actually witness it.

Even the "school zone" argument doesn't always hold true. When people think "school zone" they think of a smaller two lane street in a really residential area, with a big bustling school close to the sidewalk.

Some of the school zones that have these cameras are just pure money making opportunities. Look at Renforth for example. It's a wide, 4 lane, freshly paved thoroughfare with two schools, both of which are set far in from the road's edge. There are also pretty big boulevards protecting the sidewalks, as well as a traffic light and crosswalk both very close to the schools.

However the speed limit in that area is 40, which is absurd because it could easily be 60 during non-school hours, and you could make the argument that it should be 50 at all times (the type of road supports it). Yet sure enough they stuck a camera there, because they know damn well it's going to generate big $$ for them even though student safety is not at a high risk. The more ideal location would be a few streets over on Wellesworth where there is a junior school close to the road, and people zoom up and down there all the time to, wait for it, avoid Renforth.

Well, since the pictures in the article are from now and taken after dark, it seems revenue generation is the priority not children's safety. Big surprise.

I don’t think the time of day should play into it at all, this is more about changing peoples behaviours than anything else, and a ticket at 2 AM while they are blasting down the street 50% over the speed limit will ultimately have the same affect as a ticket at 2 in the afternoon for grossly exceeding the speed limit.

In the end, it causes people to pay more attention to their driving which is ultimately the goal.

The picture posted of the new one in Durham is in the vicinity of the University, and living only about 15 minutes away from there I can attest to the reality that the area is a free-for-all.

I have no issues with these machines whatsoever, although I think putting them at ground level like that is patently stupid as people will either vandalize them or just throw a garbage bag over them effectively rendering them useless.

I don’t think the time of day should play into it at all, this is more about changing peoples behaviours than anything else, and a ticket at 2 AM while they are blasting down the street 50% over the speed limit will ultimately have the same affect as a ticket at 2 in the afternoon for grossly exceeding the speed limit.

In the end, it causes people to pay more attention to their driving which is ultimately the goal.

The picture posted of the new one in Durham is in the vicinity of the University, and living only about 15 minutes away from there I can attest to the reality that the area is a free-for-all.

I have no issues with these machines whatsoever, although I think putting them at ground level like that is patently stupid as people will either vandalize them or just throw a garbage bag over them effectively rendering them useless.
I'm not patently opposed to them I just hate all of the lying. Sell them as revenue generation that you can easily avoid. That is what they are. Getting something in the mail 30 days later does very little to make people change their behaviour. As poster above said, many of these are targeting revenue streets not safety streets.

I have no huge problem with them, if I am speeding and get a ticket, that is on me, just stop trying to pretend this is even remotely related to safety if you mail a ticket for 51 km/h on a four lane road at 2:00 am.

I'm not patently opposed to them I just hate all of the lying. Sell them as revenue generation that you can easily avoid. That is what they are. Getting something in the mail 30 days later does very little to make people change their behaviour. As poster above said, many of these are targeting revenue streets not safety streets.

I have no huge problem with them, if I am speeding and get a ticket, that is on me, just stop trying to pretend this is even remotely related to safety if you mail a ticket for 51 km/h on a four lane road at 2:00 am.
is telling people what they want to hear truly lying? :p

Even the "school zone" argument doesn't always hold true. When people think "school zone" they think of a smaller two lane street in a really residential area, with a big bustling school close to the sidewalk.

Some of the school zones that have these cameras are just pure money making opportunities. Look at Renforth for example. It's a wide, 4 lane, freshly paved thoroughfare with two schools, both of which are set far in from the road's edge. There are also pretty big boulevards protecting the sidewalks, as well as a traffic light and crosswalk both very close to the schools.

However the speed limit in that area is 40, which is absurd because it could easily be 60 during non-school hours, and you could make the argument that it should be 50 at all times (the type of road supports it). Yet sure enough they stuck a camera there, because they know damn well it's going to generate big $$ for them even though student safety is not at a high risk. The more ideal location would be a few streets over on Wellesworth where there is a junior school close to the road, and people zoom up and down there all the time to, wait for it, avoid Renforth.
I agree. Parents live just off Renforth and I've almost been stopped in that area. Thankfully I remembered that a cop always sits in the church parking lot...so who ever speeds is just an easy target. That zone is 40kph for way too long.

I don't know. Personally I think police should focus on issues, not convenient ticket taking. I used to pass a school zone around 4AM daily on Hwy 7 in an area that slowed from 70 to 50. It was common for YRP to nab speeders at 10kmh over -- sometimes less, thy got my neighbour at 9KMh over.

During the day the road is busy, it moves at 60-70kmh thru that zone -- in 20 years I have never seen a copper doing radar during school hours.

What's the point?

Would you continue to drive at 51km/h on that section after getting a ticket from the camera? What about after the 3rd ticket mailed to you?
The argument is that if you are trying to slow down people, radar cameras is the best bet besides having a cop there all the time.
Yes it won't stop 100% of the cars, there will always be stupid people, out of towners, people who don't regularly take the street, but a few signs with SPEED TRAP AHEAD, would probably slow the majority of traffic in a given area.
I don't know the stats around accidents due to speed or if slowing down prevents accidents. Just saying if the goal is to slow down cars, this is the best way. Revenue will only come in when the traps are introduced but after a while will be minimal, that is why govt prefers random speed traps vs fixed ones.

I think these get sent to the registered owner if it’s like the UK. The owner should know who’s driving.

Yeah man, this is why you should know who you lent your bike or car to, no excuse, you as the owner will get humped with the fine.

We have this in our neighborhood too - it's so annoying, however in the winter time, some dude (maybe it's the same kids/dudes?) ride their ATV's and/or snowmobiles along the path through our local forest, and makes for very easy and pleasurable dog walking (it would be deep, and a PITA at time, if not for these guys).

I'm thankful for that little bit of help, even if its unintended, so I won't snitch on them. I've often thought about guiding them into a nearby closed abandoned field and showing them how to build trails and get good use out of their little 50cc bikes (and keep them off the streets)

We have this in our neighborhood too - it's so annoying, however in the winter time, some dude (maybe it's the same kids/dudes?) ride their ATV's and/or snowmobiles along the path through our local forest, and makes for very easy and pleasurable dog walking (it would be deep, and a PITA at time, if not for these guys).

I'm thankful for that little bit of help, even if its unintended, so I won't snitch on them. I've often thought about guiding them into a nearby closed abandoned field and showing them how to build trails and get good use out of their little 50cc bikes (and keep them off the streets)
I think every street has those kids. A teenager up the road gets picked up by his buddy on what looks like a ~125 china dirtbike. The dirtbike owner wears a full face helmet and not much else (flip flops, t shirt, shorts, no gloves). He picks up the neighbour teenager who hops on in flip flops, t shirt, shorts, no gloves, no helmet, no passenger pegs on bike. They take off and rider attempts to wheelie (thankfully he hasn't been able to yet as passenger will fall off for sure) and then blows through a turn at a stop sign at ~30 km/h (that's about all the suspension can suffer, he has nothing left if there is actually a vehicle on the through road they are entering). They haven't crashed yet, but it's only a matter of time and it won't be pretty.

Yeaaaahhh let 'em crash. Let 'em die... As long as they don't run into my ****, or anyone I care about, I couldn't care less.

Stupid is as stupid does. There are MANY people that regard what I do (commuting on a motorcycle, even with appropriate gear!) as reckless and irresponsible - it's all a matter of personal perspective.

Back
Top Bottom