Folks you have met. | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Folks you have met.

Goes to show you what a small world it really is.

Colonel Saunders & Cyndi Lauper :LOL: not at the same time
and Pierre Elliott Trudeau followed by his armed guard nearly smoked my wife skiing down the back side of Mont-Tremblant

In a past life, I paid for school by working concerts. Met tons of musicians, some comedians/comediennes and some actors making the retirement rounds (eg. Ron Jeremy, Dustin Diamond). Some of the people were amazingly humble and friendly, others were giant ********** and/or just disgusting humans (especially the rappers). I have forgotten the vast majority. I did get to run the board for the first ever Charlemagne concert before they got sued and changed their name to the Arkells.

There were two opportunities that I was ****** didn't happen as they would have been amazing, I was supposed to setup and run Chromeo at a private house party in the country but Letterman wanted them that day so they made the obvious choice and I had the opportunity to work a major UK festival but I was only work permit eligible and didn't have a UK passport so union rules kept me out.

Actually though the most interesting people I have met have been through motorcycling. I bump into random strangers all the time, usually when I pitstop someplace, people always come up for a look at the bike and we have a good chat.
Totally agree.
The variety of interesting people I have met travelling is part of what I love about it in the first place.

One guy I will never forget is from a ride I did back in 2010 down to the Natchez Trace in Mississippi. I slept at the Meriwether Lewis Monument campground which was free and quite beautiful. Here I ran into this interesting guy named Russell. He went off to serve in the army for a number of years finishing with the Gulf War. During that time he was away there was a house fire back home and all his family was killed (mother, sister, wife). He came back pretty messed up from the wars and his personal tragedy and couldn't reintegrate into society, so he just lived on the road by himself.

So now he had been riding his bicycle all across North America since 1991 (18 years to that point) and said he averages about 50-70miles a day when moving! He would ride north and into Canada in the summers and then ride south and into Mexico or the southern states for the winters. So he's literally cycled in every province & territory in Canada, every state in the US and all over Mexico. He said he had been robbed 2x in that whole 18 years - both times in Mexico.

Super friendly guy with many stories to share about eating snakes and scorpions and getting robbed and his tours in Iraq and other places before that. He makes his money by selling anything military issue that he could get from various army bases across the US - from first aid kits and camping gear to some serious knives and other hardware. He had a brand new tent which he tried to sell me, while he preferred to sleep on the picnic table instead with no covers or anything.

I left in the morning the following day and saw him riding north along the Natchez Trace, having already covered about 40km by 9am. I gave him all my trail mix and snacks and wonder if he's still alive and cycling.

Russell and his bicycle are below. The black RV in the background was owned a really nice couple we met, who were lifelong BMW riders who now travelled the country by RV. They came up to us and introduced themselves and offered to make us a delicious pizza dinner.
DSCN0487-X3.jpg

DSCN0490-X3.jpg

Last edited:
Totally agree.
The variety of interesting people I have met travelling is part of what I love about it in the first place.

One guy I will never forget is from a ride I did back in 2010 down to the Natchez Trace in Mississippi. I slept at the Meriwether Lewis Monument campground which was free and quite beautiful. Here I ran into this interesting guy named Russell. He went off to serve in the army for a number of years finishing with the Gulf War. During that time he was away there was a house fire back home and all his family was killed (mother, sister, wife). He came back pretty messed up from the wars and his personal tragedy and couldn't reintegrate into society, so he just lived on the road by himself.

So now he had been riding his bicycle all across North America since 1991 (18 years to that point) and said he averages about 50-70miles a day when moving! He would ride north and into Canada in the summers and then ride south and into Mexico or the southern states for the winters. So he's literally cycled in every province & territory in Canada, every state in the US and all over Mexico. He said he had been robbed 2x in that whole 18 years - both times in Mexico.

Super friendly guy with many stories to share about eating snakes and scorpions and getting robbed and his tours in Iraq and other places before that. He makes his money by selling anything military issue that he could get from various army bases across the US - from first aid kits and camping gear to some serious knives and other hardware. He had a brand new tent which he tried to sell me, while he preferred to sleep on the picnic table instead with no covers or anything.

I left in the morning the following day and saw him riding north along the Natchez Trace, having already covered about 40km by 9am. I gave him all my trail mix and snacks and wonder if he's still alive and cycling.

Russell and his bicycle are below. The black RV in the background was owned a really nice couple we met, who were lifelong BMW riders who now travelled the country by RV. They came up to us and introduced themselves and offered to make us a delicious pizza dinner.
DSCN0487-X3.jpg

DSCN0490-X3.jpg
What a cool story!

Totally agree.

DSCN0487-X3.jpg

DSCN0490-X3.jpg
So awesome!!
(not surprised about him being robbed in Mexico)

Mike Vernon... NHL goalie. 'Met him the year Detroit won the Stanley Cup. He's a buddy of my brother in law and my sister. 'Met him at the wedding... 'Had the rehearsal dinner/party at his place in Invermere BC.
I was a Flames fan as a kin in the '80s, and played goal, so naturally Vernon was my absolute favourite player. Always hated how he got ignored in the shadow of Roy, even after winning another cup in Detroit. In hindsight, Roy singlehandedly changed how the position was played, so I get it, but always thought Vernon was underrated regardless. He's up there with Roy and better than Fuhr, I think...

Ok, I met razor ruddock, back in the day I was a boxer, and I'd heard about him, saw his fights on TV(youtube), but TV doesnt do it justice, I was legit scared, this dude was way bigger in person, he was trying to make a comeback and training out of the same gym I used to fight at, guy was 50 years old and fuckin ripped

Scary guy

Props to mike tyson, for a short ass dude he fought some big ass guys

Toronto had a lot of great boxers in those days(mostly big jamaicans) Razor ruddock, Trevor berbick, Lennox lewis etc
Remind me to stay one arm distance away from you if and when we meet lol

I have always been a fan of that generation of pro boxers. They had the size, stamina and technique. Ruddock did okay with Tyson, though he lost. Not the usual 1st round knock out from what I remember.

Though I don't follow boxing very closely, I think those days title fights used to happen more often, unlike now.

Remind me to stay one arm distance away from you if and when we meet lol

I have always been a fan of that generation of pro boxers. They had the size, stamina and technique. Ruddock did okay with Tyson, though he lost. Not the usual 1st round knock out from what I remember.

Though I don't follow boxing very closely, I think those days title fights used to happen more often, unlike now.

Fighting on the street(unless for defensive purposes) is kind of like racing on the street(dumb)

Ruddock had 2 fights with tyson, the first one was stopped early, the 2nd one ruddock came prepared and went 12 rounds, he put a hurting on mike. It was glorious

I preferred watching the smaller guys fight, way more finesse and good technique

I havent really followed boxing much since I stopped fighting

Ruddock had 2 fights with tyson, the first one was stopped early, the 2nd one ruddock came prepared and went 12 rounds, he put a hurting on mike. It was glorious
Yep... I remember now.

I preferred watching the smaller guys fight, way more finesse and good technique
Agreed!

I worked with Stan Smrke, a hockey player, mostly with Rochester but also nine games with Montreal Canadians.

I've met and worked with a few pro athletes, as many of the earlier pro's didn't make a lot of money and were working while playing unless they were one of the few top dogs.

Nathan Phillips presented me with an award, me getting it because I was the least dumb of the crowd.

I chatted with Ed Mirvish when doing a repair at his store, talking electronics. He studied the subject at Central Tech.

Phil Levitt of the Diamonds was one of my accounts when he was an engineer. Really decent guy.

In my teens I was dating a girl who lived in the Kingsway and one snowy winter day after a date I was trudging towards the TTC and a woman in a Black Cadillac stopped and offered me a lift. I had to ride in the front because her son in full goalie gear was taking up most of the back seat. I found out later she was the wife of the Governor General.

The lesser known artists and athletes didn't and often still don't make the multi-million dollar salaries so especially if they have a short career they become working stiffs like most of us. I recall reading about the first year Blue Jay roster and where they were 30 years later. It was a mixed bag for the lower ranked players. Some were truck drivers, others in sales etc. You never know who you're rubbing shoulders with.

Fighting on the street(unless for defensive purposes) is kind of like racing on the street(dumb)

I havent really followed boxing much since I stopped fighting
I learned to fight on the ice, back when it was the only hope of fulfilling a childhood dream. All it got me was a few ugly bar fights and one pretty girl.

That girl often tells me all the fighting cost me a few marbles.

Cool people are much more enriching than famous. Cool and famous are rare.

Over the years I have met enough famous people to fill pages. Truly interesting and famous, only a few. Most memorable was flying in a seat beside Shaq from YYZ to LAX. After the flight he dropped me off at my house.

100 drinks at the Flamingo Hilton bar with George Carlin. That’s all I can remember of that night.

Blowing a few fatties with Gord Downey a couple of times at church.

This one ties in with both riding, fighting and the theme of this post. A few years ago, a group of us were riding through the Lake Rousseau area, on our way back to base camp in Gravenhurst and we stopped for gas. I fill up my bike, and ride over to the rest area where everyone is gathering, when I hear my pal who is still pumping fuel say “Hey Rob!”
I look over and there he is talking to Tie Domi. Domi was great...started chatting and wanted to know where we were from etc. He grabbed copies of his book, signed them and handed them out. When he asked my buddy what his name was (as he was signing his book), my buddy says “Fred. F.R.E.D.” Domi looks up at him with that sh*t eating grin of his and I thought...oh boy. Here we go! Lol
Said, Fred pictured below.

IMG_0274.JPG

My buddy put a chandler up in domi’s house in Mississauga

He gave him some tickets for the game. The tickets was for the previous yr.

Plus he stiffed him for part of the payment

My buddy put a chandler up in domi’s house in Mississauga

He gave him some tickets for the game. The tickets was for the previous yr.

Plus he stiffed him for part of the payment
Nice. Now I'm glad that I never did read his book. ;-)

Got to phone chat with Harrison Ford when he was renting an iMac for his own use during a film shoot in GTA ..very nice..very sardonic ...even over the phone.....some submarine flick and he was tired of being wet.

Last edited:
Motorsport Related - met and did a track day with a bunch of in-car time at CTMP with David Empringham (and John Farano). What a fascinating career David had! From open wheel to Cup Series to hired gun for Global Time Attack stuff. His Time Attack days were wild. Paid major money to fly overseas, hop in a car he's never seen, do 3 laps, and fly home.

.............Colonel Saunders & Cyndi Lauper :LOL: not at the same time.................

You know that Colonel Saunders lived in Mississauga for years and also funded a building at the Mississauga campus of Trillium Health Partners, and yes, people jokingly referred to it as the chicken wing.

Colonel Sanders

In 1965, Sanders moved to Mississauga, Ontario to oversee his Canadian franchises and continued to collect franchise and appearance fees both in Canada and in the US. Sanders bought and lived in a bungalow at 1337 Melton Drive in the Lakeview area of Mississauga from 1965 until his death in 1980.

Before his death Sanders used his stock holdings to create the Colonel Harland Sanders Charitable Organization, a registered Canadian charity.[81] The wing of Mississauga Hospital for women's and children's care is named The Colonel Harland Sanders Family Care Centre in honor of his substantial donation.[82] Sanders' foundation has also made sizeable donations to other Canadian children's hospitals including the McMaster Children's Hospital, IWK Health Centre, and Stollery Children's Hospital.[83]

===============================

My very brief brush with hockey greatness came in January 1979 in Whinnies on Crescent Street in Montreal. GF, now spouse, and I sitting at a table and Serge Savard and Gilles Lupien were standing next to us talking to a group of people. Savard turned to me and asked if he could put his drink on our table. I just smiled and said yes, no problem. These guys were huge...... Lupien was about 6'6" and Savard not much smaller and they had a large group of admiring fans around them.

Last edited:
Oddly enough we were living in a farmhouse in Waterdown while the local mafia waited for development and this elderly gentleman drove up. He said he'd built the two apartments into the farmhouse after the war for his son.
Said he'd been a millionaire a couple times over - lost - did it again.

Started a transport company on the Guelph to Hamilton route ...lost it in the 30s

He built the first drive in restaurant in Ontario at Clappisons Corners ( HWY 5 & 6 ) and did so well he built another on the opposite corner to forestall competition. That failed eventually

How it relates to the above ..he started Scotts Chicken bringing Kentucky Fried to Ontario....said he was too old to lose his millions again. Very personable - out of the blue visit. He lived along the north side of Hamilton Harbour in the high price zone.

The farm is now little boxes, little boxes all in a row .....just east of Waterdown on the south side. We spent 14 years there with $150 a month rent...lots of places to ride the trials bikes and no locks on the door....had some neat adventures and a real life shaggy dog named Magoo.

Don't know how I forgot to mention meeting Doug Gilmour. I was at my friends kids hockey game. I think it was at Leaside Arena. I noticed a smoking hot blonde at the snack bar window and decided it was time to get a coffee. On my way there and the closer I got the better looking she became. Until I noticed Doug Gilmour at my 3 o'clock and immediately changed trajectory to meet his. Great guy! Turns out the hot blonde was his wife (at the time).
Doug is a great guy . Definitely likes his double Vodka and soda.

Back
Top Bottom