Filling up while sitting on the bike | Page 6 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Filling up while sitting on the bike

Don't smoke but it was done in an occupied court room. Can't find that link but.

Argue with the physics all you want

....a flung cigarette WILL light up a forest especially here as gums are so flammable just needs an ember and a little wind.
We did that constantly with new guys at work.
Make them carry a pail of gas to ya, and just as they set it down, get their attention, and throw a lit butt in the pail of gas. You NEVER see anyone jump & run so fast.
Naturally, the butt extinguishes the same as being tossed in a pail of water.

I’ve been asked to get off my bike after paying outside

Really they already have my money

It's happened to me before too. I was totally flabbergasted.

I'm not sure if that was a fueling issue or just a general supercar burning itself to the ground issue. If the companies/regulatory authorities were worried about that, they would make all passengers get out before fueling. Bike fires are probably even more rare as we can't even point to a single incident.

I'm pretty sure that fire was from fuel getting onto the hot exhaust. Wasn't the driver one of the dudes from Dragons Den?

I get ****** when on rare occasions asked to remove my helmet over the loudspeakers.
Given I'm wearing a convertible where my face is fully visible sufficiently to cross a border without removable. They don't get my business.
Most places here, pump the gas and wander in to pay for it. Way it should be.
Should be banned time for pay at the pump only. No one has time to wait while someone wanders in and gets smokes and a chat while blocking that pump.

Sent using a thumb maybe 2

I'm not sure if that was a fueling issue or just a general supercar burning itself to the ground issue. If the companies/regulatory authorities were worried about that, they would make all passengers get out before fueling. Bike fires are probably even more rare as we can't even point to a single incident.

It was the guy that owns the El Mocambo (was on Dragon's Den). The top ends of the engines in them are "upside down". Intake below with the exhaust coming out the top (keeps the batteries cooler). The left side exit is a foot from the filler neck. He spilled gas while filling it directly on the exhaust.

porsche_918swp16.jpg

It was the guy that owns the El Mocambo (was on Dragon's Den). The top ends of the engines in them are "upside down". Intake below with the exhaust coming out the top (keeps the batteries cooler). The left side exit is a foot from the filler neck. He spilled gas while filling it directly on the exhaust.

porsche_918swp16.jpg
Awesome design by porsche there.

I mean, really, that cutaway is a bit deceiving. The guy would have had to pull the nozzle out with the lever still depressed to spray gas onto the exhaust.

1631417135852.png

My instinct is with @GreyGhost on this one for getting more fuel in the tank. Next top up I'm going to get off the bike and fill up on the side stand and then see how much more I can get in there while on the centre stand.
Yesterday I filled up on the side stand and then put it on the centrestand to see just how much more I could get in there.
It went from 16.692L to 17.246L.

Difference was a paltry 0.554L:(

I was surprised and for sure thought it would be around 1L or more.

Based on my rough fuel mileage, that’s only giving me an extra 10km or so of range.

It did take me a few minutes longer to fill up, but that was probably due to the fact I haven’t filled up while off the bike in around 10 years. It felt really weird to fill up while standing beside the bike. I’ll still continue to fill up while sitting on the bike, but at least I won’t think I’m getting 30km more range or something like that.

Yesterday I filled up on the side stand and then put it on the centrestand to see just how much more I could get in there.
It went from 16.692L to 17.246L.

Difference was a paltry 0.554L:(

I was surprised and for sure thought it would be around 1L or more.

Based on my rough fuel mileage, that’s only giving me an extra 10km or so of range.
I'd rather ride 10 km than push the bike or walk to the next gas station.:D

Once on a ride our next planned fuel stop was about 5 km away. However, the OPP had closed the highway and we were diverted along a rather lengthy detour. No gas stations anywhere along that detour and we ended up riding about 30 km farther in order to rejoin our planned route. When we did it brought us to the exact station we had planned on using. Even though we always fill our bikes to the top while on the centre stands, and have bikes with a 450 km range, we both rolled in with less than a couple of litres in our tanks. We now plan fuel stops every 300 km.

Not everyone thinks through their actions.
How long can you ride with gas on your crotch?
Does the liquid turn to a gas over time?
Can it ignite?
Gasolene vapours are worse because they ignite! Yes, liquid vaporizes but that is worse, as far as ignition is concerned

Gasolene vapours are worse because they ignite! Yes, liquid vaporizes but that is worse, as far as ignition is concerned
Being someone who attracts static electricity, f that.

Two young coworkers were talking about how dangerous acetone was years ago. They put an few centimeters of it in a big tin can and threw matches in it in the parking lot. Nothing.
I dumped the liquid out and tossed a match in. BOOM! Can went a few ft in the air.

Back
Top Bottom