Filling up while sitting on the bike | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Filling up while sitting on the bike

My driving record is 100% ticket free BTW.

In my experience, that just means you haven't got caught yet. :p Or you know someone. 😉

My dad is ticket free because everytime he gets pulled over he tells them his son used to work for the Police and now works for the Fire Department. They get so bored they send him on his way

It's not splitting hairs. You get lots more gas in (at least a few dollars). If you are just riding around town, that doesn't matter. If you are riding all day, that is one about whole gas stop that you avoid. That is clearly better if you are trying to cover distance.

I wouldn't say it's easier. More going on, more chance for error. FWIW, the only time I've tipped over in the gas station was a failed attempt at getting it on the centre stand (wet, no grip pad on stand leg, foot slipped off and it slowly tipped away from me. fixed that when I got home).
If you have a centre fill tank it doesn't matter, side or main stand.
If you have an offset filler, side stand is obviously better BUT has nothing to do with sitting on the bike. Try again.

If you have a centre fill tank it doesn't matter, side or main stand.
If you have an offset filler, side stand is obviously better BUT has nothing to do with sitting on the bike. Try again.
On my bikes, if you fill them all the way on the side stand, and then stand it up, you can add quite a bit more fuel. I can't speak for all bikes. Centre stand vs standing over the bike holds the same amount of fuel.

I have never seen a fire at the pump.
I have, quite spectacular. Perkin's hardware, Main St. Unionville.

As I understand it, IOM and endurance racing require the rider to dismount (and stand clear) wile refueling.

A tank of riding for me is 4 hours or more. The extra 5 seconds to get off the bike and put it on the centre stand is welcome break. I'll take off my helmet to clean the visor, I'll check over the tires for temperature and wear, I'll check the tank bag is secured, I'll have a look at the chain. I might walk around a bit to stretch my legs. It might be time for food.

A child won't know what to do if there was a problem... neither would most adults but that is a separate issue.
The problem with filling a jerry can in the trunk is the heavier than air gas fumes pour out of the jerry can and pool in the bottom of the trunk. If you fill the can outside these fumes blow away.

I had a Ford Bronco that I burned to the ground. OOPS. i got stuck in a mud hole and the thing puked out of the auto trans dipstick and covered the nice hot motor with nice hot trans fluid.
I towed the thing home and re-wired it... all in red wire (the only colour the shop had) EVERY wire under the hood was red, used it for another year plowing snow then traded it to a biker for 4500 hits of acid... purple double barrel IIRC.
He drove it for another couple of years without issue. he did bring it back to me ONCE to re-wire the plow pump motor.
I do good work
I didn't need an expert to explain the reasons. But thank you.

another myth
If riding a motorbike, always dismount from your motorbike before fuelling. Fuel spilled onto the hot exhaust or engine could cause a fire, injuring you and others.

When I was heading back from BC I'd fill up without getting off the bike ...with the buddy bag it was tight quarters on the CB500x ..I'd just put the tank bag vertically on the ground, fill up, pay at the pump and remount the tank bag.
But getting off and stretching is best most times

I had a Ford Bronco that I burned to the ground. OOPS. i got stuck in a mud hole and the thing puked out of the auto trans dipstick and covered the nice hot motor with nice hot trans fluid.
I towed the thing home and re-wired it... all in red wire (the only colour the shop had) EVERY wire under the hood was red, used it for another year plowing snow then traded it to a biker for 4500 hits of acid... purple double barrel IIRC.
He drove it for another couple of years without issue. he did bring it back to me ONCE to re-wire the plow pump motor.
I do good work
Your memory is surprisingly good if you took those 4500 hits.

Last edited:
My instinct is with @GreyGhost on this one for getting more fuel in the tank. Next top up I'm going to get off the bike and fill up on the side stand and then see how much more I can get in there while on the centre stand.

My instinct is with @GreyGhost on this one for getting more fuel in the tank. Next top up I'm going to get off the bike and fill up on the side stand and then see how much more I can get in there while on the centre stand.
The flipside is make sure you are going on a decent ride. Don't fill it standing up and then park it two minutes later on the side stand.

I’m thinking about some farkles.

Well, you’ve come to the right place.
Isn't a farkle supposed to serve a purpose? I guess underglow does fulfill your desire to look like a knob. It doesn't meaningfully increase vision, conspicuity or any other positive attribute imo.

On my bikes, if you fill them all the way on the side stand, and then stand it up, you can add quite a bit more fuel. I can't speak for all bikes. Centre stand vs standing over the bike holds the same amount of fuel.

This is true, at-least for the V-Strom that I own. I can get in a little more fuel into the tank when the bike is perpendicular to the ground, rather than at an angle.

I have tried it a few times, standing up, gripping the tanks between the knees and filling it - as the bike doesn't have a center stand.

To the original question - Normally, I have never paid much attention to whether I fill the tank sitting or off the bike. Either works. Getting off the bike at a petrol pump is a nice way to stretch though, so I prefer that

Is there actually doubt that you can get more fuel in while standing it up???

Always refuel on the bike. Takes zero effort…but my baller ass bike has a keyless tank so I guess there’s that.

Always refuel on the bike. Takes zero effort…but my baller ass bike has a keyless tank so I guess there’s that.
So electric latch literally in the gas tank is good but a cell phone meters away is bad? Makes sense to me. /eyeroll.

If I don't get off the bike, I can't get my wallet out of my pocket, thus the nickname.

This is moot for me. Filling my first Gen KLR while riding with others on second Gens means I'm always adding at least a liter or 2 less then them anyway.

My old 1974 Cb360 had a keyless latch too IIRC. Baller ass bike indeed.

Back
Top Bottom