Feds plan to melt ICE | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Feds plan to melt ICE

Tell that to the Menanites

Average electric car chargers pull about 7,200 W of electricity to stay powered. On average, solar panels are rated at around 350 W, meaning you can power a Level 2 EV charger with around 20 solar panels.

Watch the video. The main speaker uses solar and has an EV. It's USA but electrical power is is electrical power

One of the problems with the intellectuals is that they think that life is a polite tea party and everyone will work together. To have even the faintest hope of EV's working, people will have to patiently share and cooperate. The bloody twits can't share a highway now.

So the feds say 100% EV's. The province is responsible for the power and the province gets the blame for failing to live up to Ottawa's brain fart.

There are 900,000 condo units in Ontario. 900,000 X 7.2 KW = 6,480,000 Kw of power required = 6480 Mega watts.

Pickering NGS has a capacity of 3100 Mw. It, as I understand it is scheduled to close by 2028.

When I decide to make a loaf of bread it's about three hours before it's baked and ready to eat.

When someone says build a nuclear power plant how long do I have to wait until I can plug in my toaster oven?

Sir Adam Beck has a capacity of 1962 Mw. How long to build another Niagara Falls?

How many solar panels needed for 8000 watts?

Number of solar panels for specific system sizes:
System SizeNumber of PanelsAnnual Production (kWh)
5 kW108000
6 kW139600
7 kW1511200
8 kW1712800

To determine the total square footage required, simply take the # of solar panels you have and multiply it by 17.55 square feet. This is the average size of residential solar panels and will give you a very close estimate of the total square footage you need for your solar panels.

For example, if we needed 27 solar panels for our system:

Square Footage = 27*17.55 = 473.85 square feet

Sixteen panels X 17.55 = 280 square feet.

Bullshyte is baffling my brain so will someone please check my numbers, particularly with regards to solar efficiency.

EV's in northern climates have problems with running heaters. In the south a prepper carries a can of gas and a spare tire. In Nunavut a prepper carries a team of huskies and a sled.

Solar in sun starved winters isn't a great idea. Battery banks do provide a source of heat when they explode and burn. Firewood is cheaper.

I have a 12 outlet power bar I use for light electronic devices, phone chargers, calculator, label maker etc. A large percentage of the population would think I could plug it into a 1500 watt generator and power a dozen baseboard heaters.

Feel free to correct me. My brain is fried. I've used several sources so the math isn't 100% in agreement.

Last edited:
If nobbie48s number are even close , our current grid in the GTA could not support this mandate , unless an alarming improvement is made in a decade . Which is highly unlikely, so you can get an EV, but you’ll only drive on even or odd days when it’s your turn to charge. I’ll be retired by then, but my RVing dream will be going south without me .

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Average electric car chargers pull about 7,200 W of electricity to stay powered. On average, solar panels are rated at around 350 W, meaning you can power a Level 2 EV charger with around 20 solar panels.

Watch the video. The main speaker uses solar and has an EV. It's USA but electrical power is is electrical power

One of the problems with the intellectuals is that they think that life is a polite tea party and everyone will work together. To have even the faintest hope of EV's working, people will have to patiently share and cooperate. The bloody twits can't share a highway now.

So the feds say 100% EV's. The province is responsible for the power and the province gets the blame for failing to live up to Ottawa's brain fart.

There are 900,000 condo units in Ontario. 900,000 X 7.2 KW = 6,480,000 Kw of power required = 6480 Mega watts.

Pickering NGS has a capacity of 3100 Mw. It, as I understand it is scheduled to close by 2028.

When I decide to make a loaf of bread it's about three hours before it's baked and ready to eat.

When someone says build a nuclear power plant how long do I have to wait until I can plug in my toaster oven?

Sir Adam Beck has a capacity of 1962 Mw. How long to build another Niagara Falls?

How many solar panels needed for 8000 watts?

Number of solar panels for specific system sizes:
System SizeNumber of PanelsAnnual Production (kWh)
5 kW108000
6 kW139600
7 kW1511200
8 kW1712800

To determine the total square footage required, simply take the # of solar panels you have and multiply it by 17.55 square feet. This is the average size of residential solar panels and will give you a very close estimate of the total square footage you need for your solar panels.

For example, if we needed 27 solar panels for our system:

Square Footage = 27*17.55 = 473.85 square feet

Sixteen panels X 17.55 = 280 square feet.

Bullshyte is baffling my brain so will someone please check my numbers, particularly with regards to solar efficiency.

EV's in northern climates have problems with running heaters. In the south a prepper carries a can of gas and a spare tire. In Nunavut a prepper carries a team of huskies and a sled.

Solar in sun starved winters isn't a great idea. Battery banks do provide a source of heat when they explode and burn. Firewood is cheaper.

I have a 12 outlet power bar I use for light electronic devices, phone chargers, calculator, label maker etc. A large percentage of the population would think I could plug it into a 1500 watt generator and plug in a dozen baseboard heaters.

Feel free to correct me. My brain is fried. I've used several sources so the math isn't 100% in agreement.
I'll run the numbers later. Your's seem plausible but also incomplete. You only need to charge to top up the days use. For the average commute, that is an hour or two at Level 2. There could conceivably be a problematic spike at 7 pm when TOU rates drop and chargers setup to charge when it's cheap all jump on at the same time. Internet connnectivity makes this worse as manually set clocks would phase this load in over probably 30 minutes as they are mostly incorrect.

We have absolutely tons of capacity available off peak. If everyone wanted to charge their EV's on a hot summer day at 3pm, the grid would collapse. Thankfully, that is not the case and in fact, as more bi-directional EV's come on like, peak grid generation requirements could decrease as the EV's could act as a huge peak shaving plant.

Year-on-year, Lightning is up 53%. In Q3 2023 it's down 46% compared to Q3 2022. Keep in mind:
- Lightning is a high-priced vehicle.
- "Everyone" is worried about inflation, high interest rates, and economic downturn ... except the stock market. That's at or near record highs. Someone isn't worried. Auto industry sales in general have been slowing.
- The planned production decrease next year is a reduction from the INCREASE that they had planned for next year. (Plant can build 3200 per week ... 160,000 per year. They sold 20,xxx up to a certain date (probably end of Nov) in 2023. They're cutting build to 1600 per week ... that's still 80,000 per year. I don't think they'll sell that many ... but 160k was certainly over-optimistic.) Reference Ford will cut weekly production of F-150 Lightning in response to slowing demand
- YES, they are probably running out of early-adopters. This is going to be a factor, like it or not.
- Some people are probably waiting for NACS ("Tesla") charging to become standard equipment. That's expected for model year 2025. Ford and GM are expected to be selling or giving out (not sure which - maybe a combination of both) NACS adapters in early 2024 but it hasn't happened yet.
Pickups used to be a barometer of the economy back when they were work vehicles. Now that they're often driven by people with soft skin and clean fingernails do the numbers mean as much?

Pickups used to be a barometer of the economy back when they were work vehicles. Now that they're often driven by people with soft skin and clean fingernails do the numbers mean as much?
1600 /week doesn't mean much. Most Canadian automotive plants are putting out nearly that every day. Ford is still making more Edge's in Oakville everyday on a platform that has payed for it's engineering costs years ago. The edge was scheduled to die this week originally, then it got extended to March, then to May. (Lincoln and euro version are done)

At the end of the day these are businesses and they are going to resist killing a money making product to layoff their staff for a year to re-tool to a product that is going to loose money if people buy it.

"The more we sell the more money the company looses!" great motivation.

Rivian just announced the new delivery schedule and surprise, mine would be 3 months early but has gone up 15k . That tells me others on the list are bailing out. Me included, deposit back thanks , 115k for a toy truck, nope .

You gotta get up pretty early to best Buttigieg.

I'll run the numbers later. Your's seem plausible but also incomplete. You only need to charge to top up the days use. For the average commute, that is an hour or two at Level 2. There could conceivably be a problematic spike at 7 pm when TOU rates drop and chargers setup to charge when it's cheap all jump on at the same time. Internet connnectivity makes this worse as manually set clocks would phase this load in over probably 30 minutes as they are mostly incorrect.

We have absolutely tons of capacity available off peak. If everyone wanted to charge their EV's on a hot summer day at 3pm, the grid would collapse. Thankfully, that is not the case and in fact, as more bi-directional EV's come on like, peak grid generation requirements could decrease as the EV's could act as a huge peak shaving plant.
Lots of different factors will trim the numbers. If people were patient, cooperative, organized and planned ahead I could see the required supply dropping by 75%.

Sit at the corner of Bay / Lakeshore / Gardner at 4:30 PM Friday and write an essay on patient, cooperative, organized and future planning.:(

With ICE I can fill up in 5 minutes, drive 500 Kms, rinse repeat until I reach Vancouver.

A ten ton local delivery truck make sense if the chassis cost wasn't so high. I drove one decades ago delivering produce around the GTA, probably under 200 miles a day and a regular schedule. Semis are different. It would hurt to have to turn down a juicy long haul on your mega bucks rig because of range.

A neighbour got prices for specialty delivery trucks and a diesel chassis was $150,000, EV $450,000. Range was also an issue.

The infrastructure will involve the government with side deals, favouritism, meddling, vote buying and unreal expectations from unicorn ranchers. We can't make headway on a cross-town expressway so to expect a cross country one to come out on schedule and budget is a head banger. Funding for the the Eglinton cross town was in 1994. Thirty years later they can't say when it'll be complete.

For a cross country charger corridor, by the time it's finished it'll be obsolete.

I'd rather see the government invest in public transit so people don't need to use cars as often

1*mDYrAj9afYnpUG_ajbaIfQ.jpeg

Rivian just announced the new delivery schedule and surprise, mine would be 3 months early but has gone up 15k . That tells me others on the list are bailing out. Me included, deposit back thanks , 115k for a toy truck, nope .

Don't bend it. $41K for a quarter panel??? or If you can afford the car you can afford to put my kid through Uni.

JT's been "wanting" to meet climate targets since he started setting them. Easy to say harder to do....
Everything is easy to do when you're not responsible to actually do it.

'Oh hey, I think this is a great idea...go do it'
'how?'
'you're smart enough. I believe in you and your abilities to get it done'
'but it's never been done and it's technically not feasible'
'but I believe in you. You just need to believe in yourself'.

It will only work if people WANT to buy EVs - the plummeting sales of the Ford Lightning suggest they don't.
Maybe if it didn't cost the better part of 70-90k for one sales would increase.

I'd love one...but for that money...I can effectively get 2.5 Bolts / Kona EVs.

Will Skippy have to send the Mercedes 300 SL he inherited from his father to the crusher?

Of course not. Thee, not me. Carry on.
Old cars and vintage are targets for the EV proponents. The new digital ones are easier to monitor for insurance reasons and mileage for road tax fees.

Old soccer vans will just die and rust away. The true collector ones, worth restoring to concours levels, can have new electronics added. They would be such a small part of the market they aren't a big income maker for the government or insurers. Exemptions could be purchased at disagreeable prices. People don't tend to drive their Duesenbergs 80,000 Kms a year. A base 1978 Pontiac Firebird survivor could be a problem.

Fuel, in The Last Chase (1981) movie was siphoned from old gas station tanks. IIRC a bit was filmed at Forks of the Credit Road. The movie very slightly follows the EV narrative.

Old cars and vintage are targets for the EV proponents. The new digital ones are easier to monitor for insurance reasons and mileage for road tax fees.

Old soccer vans will just die and rust away. The true collector ones, worth restoring to concours levels, can have new electronics added. They would be such a small part of the market they aren't a big income maker for the government or insurers. Exemptions could be purchased at disagreeable prices. People don't tend to drive their Duesenbergs 80,000 Kms a year. A base 1978 Pontiac Firebird survivor could be a problem.

Fuel, in The Last Chase (1981) movie was siphoned from old gas station tanks. IIRC a bit was filmed at Forks of the Credit Road. The movie very slightly follows the EV narrative.

It will only work IF there are reasonably priced vehicles to buy and an infrastructure to support them.
By 2035 ?
I'm not holding my breath.
I`ve heard a couple prominent economics profs. say that the Trudeau fantasy is many decades and trillions of dollars removed from reality. I`ll go with them over PM wet wipe.

Back
Top Bottom