Feds plan to melt ICE | GTAMotorcycle.com

Feds plan to melt ICE

Mad Mike

Looks like the Feds want to legislate phasing out the sales of new vehicles with internal combustion engines in 12 years.

No mention of whether bikes are included, all info refers only to “internal combustion vehicles”.

Can it be done?

Looks like the Feds want to legislate phasing out the sales of new vehicles with internal combustion engines in 12 years.

No mention of whether bikes are included, all info refers only to “internal combustion vehicles”.

Can it be done?
Hard no. Virtue signalling is all they care about. They will then blame the Cons for rolling back their hair-brained and completely impractical plan. Could almost every vehicle in Toronto be EV? Sure (if they did something monumental about charging infrastructure which afaik isn't part of their plan). Would it work for Porcupine? Mostly no imo.

The liberal way. Ban everything you are afraid of with no thought of practicality, implementation obstacles or consequences.

Zero chance of it happening. The Liberals will say something that shows they're doing something. Next gov't will come in (or they'll come back) and then 'well we're not ready yet' and push it off a few more years / decades.

It's all a show.

Infrastructure won't be there to sustain it anyway, so they'll be forced to push back.

Hard no. Virtue signalling is all they care about. They will then blame the Cons for rolling back their hair-brained and completely impractical plan. Could almost every vehicle in Toronto be EV? Sure (if they did something monumental about charging infrastructure which afaik isn't part of their plan). Would it work for Porcupine? Mostly no imo.

The liberal way. Ban everything you are afraid of with no thought of practicality, implementation obstacles or consequences.
I agree with the virtue signalling, it’s part of the Lib playbook. Promise things that are improbable, they really step this up when they see a regime change on the horizon.

Pierre did a youtube interview with the Sun and discussed why he thinks the liberals are implementing the opposite in practice. Basically, they've added bureaucracy and regulations making nuclear, natural gas, geothermal and hydro plants very difficult and time consuming to build, and solar/wind can't supply the necessary demand, unless cars are taken away from the unwashed masses.

Edit:
Unless the Liberals can convince China and others to get on board right away, we're going to have to look for a scientific solution, different from not burning fossil fuels. In the meantime we could be selling cleaner energy to those who need it, but we're not.

Last edited:
This is not Canada acting in isolation. California is doing the same. Quebec, too. The EU is doing the same. So is the UK. Big players in the auto industry are planning for it (exception is Japan Inc, but they're going to get run over). The ball is rolling.

Do I think it will happen? I think it will be close, but not quite. There is not much talk of heavy-duty yet. Expect this for light duty only (<8500 lb GVWR in US and Canada, 3500 kg rest of world). Probably plug-in hybrids will get carved out (hopefully only if they have a certain minimum plug-in range).

Yes, in Canada, if we elect a majority conservative federal government, i expect they will cancel this, but by that time, the auto industry will already have their products planned. EV gets the tailpipe regulators off their backs. Euro 7? EPA Tier 3? CARB? Don't care.

Don't be too quick to criticize China. They build more EVs than anyone else, and some Chinese manufacturers (notably BYD) are coming into their own. A lot of battery development is happening there. CATL is up there with the leaders in this field.

Lead, follow, get out of the way, or get run over. (Japan Inc is heading towards getting run over.)

It will only work if people WANT to buy EVs - the plummeting sales of the Ford Lightning suggest they don't.
Not true. If you can't buy ICE, it works. You may not be happy but you have no choice other than buying used. Similar situation happened with heavy duty trucks and strict emissions controls. All new trucks had to have them so people bought used for a while but those became old. There was a loophole where you could buy a glider (rolling chassis) and install your own engine but that is closed now. If you want a new truck, it shall meet emissions (and by extension, I think that means DEF for all heavy duty trucks). The gliders allowed a softer transition while meeting the committed time on paper but it's done now.

Will Skippy have to send the Mercedes 300 SL he inherited from his father to the crusher?

Of course not. Thee, not me. Carry on.

Will Skippy have to send the Mercedes 300 SL he inherited from his father to the crusher?

Of course not. Thee, not me. Carry on.
Don't worry, he'll place an order for 10K EV's for the public sector from a chinese supplier who promises to setup in Canada. He'll prepay for all and nothing will ever get delivered. Saving the world one dumpster fire at a time.

I am in full suport of banning production of internal combustion engines.
It will force the price of gas to go down to $0.10 a litre for my "vintage" vehicles.
Of course the flip side is I will no longer be able to afford to heat my house with electricity.
Does anybody know where I can get a ICE powered heat pump?

You won't, either.

You're still allowed to operate a horse and buggy on Ontario roads, a hundred years after that method of transportation ceased to be mass-market.
Apples and oranges

Federal government didn’t outlaw the sales of horse and buggies

It will only work if people WANT to buy EVs - the plummeting sales of the Ford Lightning suggest they don't.

Year-on-year, Lightning is up 53%. In Q3 2023 it's down 46% compared to Q3 2022. Keep in mind:
- Lightning is a high-priced vehicle.
- "Everyone" is worried about inflation, high interest rates, and economic downturn ... except the stock market. That's at or near record highs. Someone isn't worried. Auto industry sales in general have been slowing.
- The planned production decrease next year is a reduction from the INCREASE that they had planned for next year. (Plant can build 3200 per week ... 160,000 per year. They sold 20,xxx up to a certain date (probably end of Nov) in 2023. They're cutting build to 1600 per week ... that's still 80,000 per year. I don't think they'll sell that many ... but 160k was certainly over-optimistic.) Reference Ford will cut weekly production of F-150 Lightning in response to slowing demand
- YES, they are probably running out of early-adopters. This is going to be a factor, like it or not.
- Some people are probably waiting for NACS ("Tesla") charging to become standard equipment. That's expected for model year 2025. Ford and GM are expected to be selling or giving out (not sure which - maybe a combination of both) NACS adapters in early 2024 but it hasn't happened yet.

Back
Top Bottom