Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house? | Page 460 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house?

My trailer is rated for 1200 lbs.
I think I may have exceeded that one time and delivering a full trailer load of sod from Mississauga to Milton.
I dont think I would do it again but my sod guy bailed on me last minute.

Yours is probably the same.

Why not just get it delivered?
I normally get a yard on the HF trailer. Not travelling far or fast.

The heaviest load I put on the trailer was a load of wood and brush. You don't realize how much the weight is adding up when it is 100 trips. In that case, suspension was completely solid. Still towed well. Again, not that far and not that fast.

Delivery on small loads is normally very expensive. The super sacks are about 4x soil cost. If you want a truck to drop off your load, you need many yards to amortize the truck fee down to something less than the product fee.

I normally get a yard on the HF trailer. Not travelling far or fast.

The heaviest load I put on the trailer was a load of wood and brush. You don't realize how much the weight is adding up when it is 100 trips. In that case, suspension was completely solid. Still towed well. Again, not that far and not that fast.

Delivery on small loads is normally very expensive. The super sacks are about 4x soil cost. If you want a truck to drop off your load, you need many yards to amortize the truck fee down to something less than the product fee.
I have do not have any personal experience with the super sacks but I have not heard good things about the quality of the soil. It would be just sceptic rumors.

Yes deliver my not be cheap but once you factor in the multiple trips with the trailer (if needed), it may be worth it to get it delivered.

Plus you can get the truck to dump it where you want it. MP has a decent side yard so the soil can go there. Unless there is no way to get to the backyard from the side yard.

I would think that his dream Maverick would hold just as much as the trailer.

Because it’s about $200/bag…I can’t seem to find anyone delivering bulk soil, only in the bags.

I need 2-3 yards so I’m ok saving some money on this one down from $600.
Did you call Mavis Garden Supply? They deliver as much as you need in a dump truck.
They are probably the closest to you.

EDIT:

I have a buddy with one of these trailers. If you want to go the self delivery route, I can see I can borrow it for a weekend. If you don't trust your own trailer.
1709330032878.png

Did you call Mavis Garden Supply? They deliver as much as you need in a dump truck.
They are probably the closest to you.

EDIT:

I have a buddy with one of these trailers. If you want to go the self delivery route, I can see I can borrow it for a weekend. If you don't trust your own trailer.
View attachment 66337
Will check thanks. Didn’t see that option on their site for delivery.

Will check thanks. Didn’t see that option on their site for delivery.
They delivered to my place when I was getting landscaping done.

They even divide the dump bed for the different materials if you wake less then a full truck load of each.

Average front end loader holds about 1/2 yard , most 4x8 handy trailers will hold most of that . Yard weighs 1200-1800 lbs dry . If it’s wet ,3000lbs . @mimico , aren’t you some sort of ditch digging engineer?

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com
He is but his boss on this project has a time limit.

Isn’t that about 10-12 dump trucks ? You’re gonna need a bigger shovel .

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com
Depends on the truck I guess. County brought my cedar chips for the play park and had around 30yrds in each truck (I got two loads) but that’s lighter. Topsoil more like 10-15 in a truck. Good exercise shoveling so I don’t mind that. Cutting down and hauling out a dozen trees by hand will be a good workout one day also.

Forget if I shared this in another thread...

Not a utility trailer but I bought this Car Mate 6×12' enclosed in December to move with. It's pretty nice

iVNd9qv.jpeg

Anyone have an insider deals on plugs and switches and cover plates? Want to swap out the whole house since the current plugs are old and yellow.

Also Weiser interior door levers

The prices on plugs and switches are very close to being the same across the board. Unless you are looking for some specialty ones.

Go to any local electrical supplier and you can pick them up. Slightly better deal than HD and Rona etc.

Anyone have an insider deals on plugs and switches and cover plates? Want to swap out the whole house since the current plugs are old and yellow.

I just buy them bulk at HD. The difference is very small from one to the other, so I don’t go chasing them.

Check Kijiji there’s always someone selling extras or stolen ones.

I just buy them bulk at HD. The difference is very small from one to the other, so I don’t go chasing them.

Check Kijiji there’s always someone selling extras or stolen ones.
Gotcha, yeah Ive got 2 months to buy so I'll watch the flyers and see if there are any sales.

I was.hoping.someome had an in at ideal supply and they got a good discount hahaha

Buy in bulk packs, Amazon or home depot
Also get the little insulation pads that go behind cover, use on exterior walls.

Lots of thoughts...

If you go big box my advice is Leviton (sold at HD) and avoid the cheapest ones. Just my opinion, but I despise Eaton (sold at Rona), due to quality issues I have experienced and how the wires interact with the screws (pulls them around, just more fussy when installing lots of them), so I avoid these (IMHO, YMMV, etc...)--about 20% of my house is Eaton as the majority of the rewire was during COVID and it came down to what I could get at the time in certain colours etc. The only Leviton I have ever had issue with is their 20 amp TR Decora, some outlets just do not hold the plugs very well, zero issues otherwise. One downside (or upside) is most of what you will find for sale will be Tamper Resistant these days as that is required by code (and has been for a while), some people hate them... You may be able to find some non TR but technically...

Also, do not backstab the outlets (shove the wires in the holes in the back), put the wires under the screws. You likely don't have AFCI/CAFI breakers but the arcing from loose backstab connections is known to be one of the main nuisance trip culprits. Tight connections are best, use the screws.

Make sure you are dealing with copper and not aluminum. You need aluminum compatible outlets and switches if you have it, you are not likely finding these in a bigbox store.

For wall plates. When I did my last rewire I bought a bunch of polycarbonate ones. Upside, near unbreakable, downside is if the outlet/wall is not perfect (you will be surprised) they are unforgiving (leave a gap). The nylon ones are more forgiving when it comes to this just don't over tighten. You can also buy ones larger if you need to hide some minor issues.

The advantage of big box is convenience. You can also go to an electrical supplier but don't expect a huge price difference per unit (it does add up though) and they are less convenient for one/two offs or weekends... Regardless, do a count, buy contractor packs and then get what ever one offs you need.

If you need some 15 amp GFCI I have some, some used but in good shape, some new. I believe all are non TR. I used them to provide a "ground" when I had K&T. K&T is long gone.

Last edited:
I've got these things around a few trees on my lot (actually these are City of Mississauga trees) that my wife doesn't like any longer. She wants to get rid of them but feels the tree will fall out. I believe they're only ornamental and will have zero effect on the tree.

1709655648323.png

Thoughts on removal? I assume there's a chance that the roots are within the enclosed area, and that could cause issues.

As for soil, I called a few of the shops recommended here and all of them said the same thing 'No soil deliveries until April', so that's unfortunate as I wanted to get going on this before the house work starts.

Also....aeration BEFORE or AFTER the soil gets here?

Back
Top Bottom