Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house? | Page 212 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house?

Still no power and just set up a genny for friends out of town to save their freezer.

Glad no one was hurt and we had equipment (chainsaws, fall arrest etc). There were holes punched in roof, can't wait for insurance help.

Now to burn baby burn! Victoria Day bonfire, yippee!
Victoria Day government fireworks displays. For once we actually get to see them burn our money.

A large tree went down a block or so away and some roofs will need shingles replaced.

A friend in rural PQ has been without power since 3:30 PM Saturday and may have to wait another day or two before it comes back on.

Last edited:
A large tree went down a blck or sa away and some roofs will need shingles replaced.

A friend in rural PQ has been without power since 3:30 PM Saturday and may have to wait another day or two before it comes back on.
My kid lives 500m from me, his street has arial delivery, he lost a maple that ripped down his connection to the pole, wont be restored till Wed. SiL in Perth won't fit power till Friday.

My kid lives 500m from me, his street has arial delivery, he lost a maple that ripped down his connection to the pole, wont be restored till Wed. SiL in Perth won't fit power till Friday.

I have two standby gen sets and my friend none.

Murphy's law of spending: The more you spend on back ups the less likely you are to need them.

Finally got the pool open today and the tigerflex hose to the jets looks like a lawn sprinkler. Off to the pool store tomorrow after work to get some more hose to fix that.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Finally got internet restored, just in time for the week-end to be over. Next few days will be catch up.

Now that I am back online and seeing what damage this storm really cuaued. My lame internet outage seems very tame to the stuff I heard about in Uxbridge an Ottawa. Scarbough got lucky this time around. Glad I didn't have to deal with any stupid trees like last year.

FFS - venting

As if the week-end wasn't enough of a write off with no internet to accomplish some work tasks.
Today the power goes out. Some jackass dump truck driver had their dump part raised and took out some power lines.

It's all back on now but I'm done with today.

FFS - venting

As if the week-end wasn't enough of a write off with no internet to accomplish some work tasks.
Today the power goes out. Some jackass dump truck driver had their dump part raised and took out some power lines.

Surprised you didn't just use the outage as an excuse to go for a ride.

FFS - venting

You got lucky. Friends live in the country amd had wireless internet. Towers collapsed. Company is predicting four to eight wweeks before service is up again. They are trying to use cell data for now but that sucks as it is vastly overloaded.

Was in Vermont during the storms. Nice and peaceful there. House was out for a couple of days, kids were scared. I'll have to show them how to start up the generator. Gas was empty in it at the time, and local gas stations were also out of power. Fortunately, we have a gas stove and a barbecue, so no food issues. Fridge went on the fritz when the power came back on, went off, came on, went off, then finally came on. We also lost a tree in the storm, but there was no damage to the houses.

Was in Vermont during the storms. Nice and peaceful there. House was out for a couple of days, kids were scared. I'll have to show them how to start up the generator. Gas was empty in it at the time, and local gas stations were also out of power. Fortunately, we have a gas stove and a barbecue, so no food issues. Fridge went on the fritz when the power came back on, went off, came on, went off, then finally came on. We also lost a tree in the storm, but there was no damage to the houses.

What size gen set would a gas station need to stay open? One pump, the cash register and a few lights. It seems a bit cavalier to just pack up when the lights go out and leave a community without service.

Of course if everyone had their own stash of fuel the fire department would have to be on its toes.

What size gen set would a gas station need to stay open? One pump, the cash register and a few lights. It seems a bit cavalier to just pack up when the lights go out and leave a community without service.

Of course if everyone had their own stash of fuel the fire department would have to be on its toes.
You could probably get by without much power if you limit the number of active pumps (although that means it will take a long time to process customers). I suspect it is a regulatory problem. Generator near unlimited supply of flammable vapor isnt ideal. Also, less gas, less fires (including at the gas station). Fire department has enough issues with existing problems, they probably dont mind if supply is limited.

This recent storm and power outages are making me rethink the inverter I previously considers. $2000-3000 doesn’t seem worth it for the rarity of the event….but mid winter and it’s a diff story.

Might try and get the one @PrivatePilot recommended that connects to the car. That’s a big battery just sitting there.

Back
Top Bottom