Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house? | Page 46 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house?

Garage is done, gym is moved (for the time being as I might bring it back in the basement). Ecstatic that job is finally over.

will post more pics once I clean it up!

View attachment 46445
im coming over, i need to drop a good 20lbs (thanks COVID!)

i'll bring my own sandwich, water and a bottle of disinfectant with a case of beer for you. We Gucci?

im coming over, i need to drop a good 20lbs (thanks COVID!)

i'll bring my own sandwich, water and a bottle of disinfectant with a case of beer for you. We Gucci?
LoL sure. But I take no responsibility for hurt and achy muscles. LoL

Here’s the cardio equipment that needs a place in the house somewhere....
90FA5DB0-DB68-4DF3-A9A4-5ABF9C57C08B.jpeg

still looking for battle ropes and a few bits and pieces to complete it. But overall I’m happy with what we have.

I gifted away the Murphy bed that was in my new office. Then had to fix all the screw holes and paint the room. It easy work but does drywall dust ever go away completely ??

I gifted away the Murphy bed that was in my new office. Then had to fix all the screw holes and paint the room. It easy work but does drywall dust ever go away completely ??
No. Probably exponential decay. It feels like you are making progress the first few times you clean and you quickly get frustrated that you can never get to zero.

Yes just before you need to do the next project... :rolleyes: and no! That was the first thing I noticed in @mimico_polak post, was the dust on the mat, just gets everywhere

No it does not. I hate that stuff.

Yes just before you need to do the next project... :rolleyes: and no! That was the first thing I noticed in @mimico_polak post, was the dust on the mat, just gets everywhere
Such a pain in the ass. But it never goes away.
Eventually I’ll just open up the garage door, get the leaf blower and dust up the neighbourhood. Ideally on a windy day so it goes out fast.

Bah. Township closing public outdoor rinks due to continued non-compliance. Building an icerink on the lawn has been added to the honey do list and pushed all the way to the top.

I haven't built one before. Any tips/tricks from the veterans? I was going to use 2x6 frame for the perimeter and super six to hold water. I have the super six but I need to buy lumber for this project. I think I threw out all the stakes I had too, bah. May chop up rebar to use as stakes as driving wooden stakes right now will suck. Minimum useful size for 5 year old learning to skate? Was going to build ~10'x24'

EDIT:
Fack. She has her heart set on 20x40'. This is becoming a bigger project. I've got to shoot the lawn to see what slope I am going to have to deal with.

Last edited:
I tried the last 2 winter exercise in frustration not enough consecutive cold days here. Once it is almost ready it warms up and rains and fucks the whole thing. But I do know it needs to be in a shady area and put a white tarp down first or you will have no chance at all.

Sent from my K87CA using Tapatalk

Bah. Township closing public outdoor rinks due to continued non-compliance. Building an icerink on the lawn has been added to the honey do list and pushed all the way to the top.

I haven't built one before. Any tips/tricks from the veterans? I was going to use 2x6 frame for the perimeter and super six to hold water. I have the super six but I need to buy lumber for this project. I think I threw out all the stakes I had too, bah. May chop up rebar to use as stakes as driving wooden stakes right now will suck. Minimum useful size for 5 year old learning to skate? Was going to build ~10'x24'
Boards: 2x6, ideally cull lumber from your local Home Depot works best. You can also use ripped 3/4" plywood (or OSB of there is no hockey).

Prepare the base. A deeply frozen base makes things easier, if you have snow on the ground it will have insulated the earth underneath. Wet it out so it collapses into slush then freezes as dark ice. Wait a couple of days and you will not need plastic underneath. If you don't want ot to that, 6mil plastic liner is needed.

Prepare he pad. Thin layers flooded quickly are the best way to build ice. Don't spray from a hose, instead fill 5 gallon buckets then tip them onto the ice. Always let the wet layer freeze before adding another. Once you get past the first 2 inches, you are good to skate. Personally I like about 4 ", that will survive a warm day or two.

Maintenance. To keep the surface nice you have to shovel after snowfalls. It's also a good idea to shovel clean before flooding. Flooding can be done with a wand or using the same bucket technique I mentioned earlier. Don't use just a hose, the ice will become flaky and you'll have a lot of rough spots.

I tried the last 2 winter exercise in frustration not enough consecutive cold days here. Once it is almost ready it warms up and rains and fucks the whole thing. But I do know it needs to be in a shady area and put a white tarp down first or you will have no chance at all.

Sent from my K87CA using Tapatalk
Thanks. I have lots of white tarps. In storage. 1.5 hours away. Fack again. Well, on the upside, I have a lot of snow, instead of clearing down to grass, I may try and use that for my reflecting surface. Put a few thin coats of ice down first so the water doesn't melt all the snow.

Unfortunately rink probably has to be on the south side of the house. It has a few trees for shade, but definitely not the ideal shady location. If I reduce the width a bit, I can put it in a shadier spot but then it is in a blind location where I can't easily see the kids from inside.

Boards: 2x6, ideally cull lumber from your local Home Depot works best. You can also use ripped 3/4" plywood (or OSB of there is no hockey).

Prepare the base. A deeply frozen base makes things easier, if you have snow on the ground it will have insulated the earth underneath. Wet it out so it collapses into slush then freezes as dark ice. Wait a couple of days and you will not need plastic underneath. If you don't want ot to that, 6mil plastic liner is needed.

Prepare he pad. Thin layers flooded quickly are the best way to build ice. Don't spray from a hose, instead fill 5 gallon buckets then tip them onto the ice. Always let the wet layer freeze before adding another. Once you get past the first 2 inches, you are good to skate. Personally I like about 4 ", that will survive a warm day or two.

Maintenance. To keep the surface nice you have to shovel after snowfalls. It's also a good idea to shovel clean before flooding. Flooding can be done with a wand or using the same bucket technique I mentioned earlier. Don't use just a hose, the ice will become flaky and you'll have a lot of rough spots.
Thanks. With lockdown, I won't have much choice on lumber I suspect. I may try calling the local lumber store as there may be someone with half a brain there that can hook me up.

I remember the first time I made a rink for the kids -- a bitter cold January in 1994. I tied a hose to a tree 15' in the air and left a spray nozzle on full blast. Suddenly my wife went into labour and we headed off to the hospital. 24 hours later I returned home to a '15 tall ice cone.

It lasted until mid June.

Thanks. With lockdown, I won't have much choice on lumber I suspect. I may try calling the local lumber store as there may be someone with half a brain there that can hook me up.
You don't absolutely need lumber, you can form a perimeter using snow and ice.

You don't absolutely need lumber, you can form a perimeter using snow and ice.
Sounds like a good job for my wife. It's her project after all.

I had a chance to buy a snowmaker earlier in the year and she really wanted it for her birthday to improve the kids ditchboggan hill. The snowmaker wasn't tragically expensive, but you needed to run a pressure washer and air compressor to keep it fed and I was worried about the operating cost (and annoying the *&%# out of the neighbours).

Sounds like a good job for my wife. It's her project after all.

I had a chance to buy a snowmaker earlier in the year and she really wanted it for her birthday to improve the kids ditchboggan hill. The snowmaker wasn't tragically expensive, but you needed to run a pressure washer and air compressor to keep it fed and I was worried about the operating cost (and annoying the *&%# out of the neighbours).
1610507668763.png
I used to keep a few of these in the yard, we made all kinds of things -- hockey nets, igloos, snowball fight turrets.

You have snow @GreyGhost ?? Last I checked GTA will be balmy until Sunday but then a polar vortex is supposedly coming next week. So I recommend getting cracking.
I guess with this lockdown I’d just call HD and do curbside pickup for all you need.

You have snow @GreyGhost ?? Last I checked GTA will be balmy until Sunday but then a polar vortex is supposedly coming next week. So I recommend getting cracking.
I guess with this lockdown I’d just call HD and do curbside pickup for all you need.
~8" of snow. Rink is layed out and staked. 20'x25'. ~6" slope in two directions. If we went to 40', slope would be 12" and damn is that ever a lot of water to fix.

Going with MM snow berm plan. I don't really want to pay for or store the lumber required and I have snow available. Wife's job tomorrow is to redistribute/pack down snow to try to get things closer to level. Then start working on the snow berms. Hopefully I have enough super six and tape, I have a partial roll. I will tape it up in the basement to make 23 x 28. I may prewet the base snow tomorrow night to help get the air out and get a good base.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom