Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house? | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house?

I had inspired my wife to make yeast. I think she’s on day 4 ???

Where on earth did you ever come up with that idea :LOL:

Day 1 of me being at home. Tempted to tackle the rats nest of wires behind my tv.

Good time to set out mouse traps.

Tired of doing everything in the house.It's been 2 1/2 years of isolation for us.I went to Oakridge farms and stocked up with about $150 of frozen meals.The Bison meatpies and Irish stew with Guiness is really good.Never done any baking...sooo let's see how these scones turn out.Couldn't find flour at the stores,but Oakridge had some.
eeWqdqo.jpg
Oh man the house smells so good.Dried cherry and almond scones.Delicious!
vvkuQAG.jpg

Having just moved in here in february there is a list of 172 items so far. Painting the entire interior is happening now, 10ft cielings leave 100's of sq ft of extra wall to paint, and the living room is vaulted to 16' , its a lot of ladder work.
Turned a last century cabinet makers bench into a side bar in the kitchen, making a 30x30 maple cutting board, I'm tired of chasing vegetables around the cutting board.
Installed a new dining room light, need to take 200lbs of garden gnomes out of the back the previous owner left.
Installed a steel door in the basement hallway , I took the finished basement family room for a work shop. French doors to the backyard and a gas fireplace in there. Its going to be comfy.
Organizing the garage is next week.

Drywall lifts, they are always on sale someplace for $189. its the best money you can ever spend, and they collapse and fold up and take no more space than 2 sawhorses to store. I started just budgeting equipment like that into the project cost years ago.
Renting a 4" rotary hammer to make a vent hole at $65 for 4 hrs makes sense. They cost $800 to own. Renting a drywall lift for $50 a day isn';t really a deal, you could own it in couple days rental.

We also did French Doors to the backyard. My concern was a screen net, I wanted one.
I did not like the Phantom Screen as it was spring loaded and the two halves cam together in the middle. Also, reviews were not great.
The only options with Phantom was either fully closed or fully open.
Another company out of Oakville offered similar but still did not like it.

I found this company that does a full screen door that comes off of the one side.
You can have it opened/closed half way (if only using one door).
Custom paint matching as well. A double door run about $1000. Paint matching is $100 extra.

Let me know if you want the contact and I will dig it up. (Also have a good contact for door/windows)
Have had this for 2 years and no problem. No maniacal/spring parts to fail and the product is designed and possibly made in Japan. Local distributor (only one) in the GTA area that customizes on site.

1585245658185.png

1585246138562.png
1585246188004.png

We redid the HT upstairs with a 70" TV and Onkyo receiver as well as repurposing the 50" TV and spare receiver to the gym area. My first time wall-mounting TV's was much easier than I thought. Mostly for wow-factor as we're selling later this year and we've got a bit of touch-up lipstick stuff to do just before listing.
Since we're also building we've been busy finishing up plans and deciding on interior/exterior finishings for the new place (I got my 3.5 car garage so the wife gets to deco the rest of the house as she likes).

Boiling down another 60l of sap.
sap.jpg

Perfect year for it,
sitting around feeding a fire for hours and hours out in the cold woods somewhere, constantly adding sap to the pan, hauling and filtering heavy buckets of sap on terrain you can barely walk on at the best of times (y) great times.

Isn't this the same or similar to what commercial units use for their flooring before the concrete gets poured? Also on their roof before all the roofing material goes on?
Yes. The pic I showed was generic. There are very specific panels depending on spans and expected load. The panel, rebar schedule and thickness of concrete is very different for my garage floor compared to the bit over the cold room.

Wow, that is a good size room. My problem is my room is not large so specialty material costs can get out of control per sq ft. The room is only ~4'x9'. It will become an awesome wine cellar at some point after it is dry. The roof deck is not a bad idea though, I may talk to some construction friends and see if they have some off cuts.
It was specifically designed so that a 6 X 12 snooker table could be put in it, without any need for a shortie cue. Also happened to make a decent sized garage above.

I would love to make the dumping pit under my garage into usable space. Either part of the basement or a workshop only accessible from the garage.

But that is a huge project and probably not worth the cost and time needed to get it done.
True dat. I did it as I was building it, so it didn't add much to the cost. I think at the time it added about $4000. For about 500 sq. ft., that's not bad.

True dat. I did it as I was building it, so it didn't add much to the cost. I think at the time it added about $4000. For about 500 sq. ft., that's not bad.

I don't even think a builder of a sub division would entertain the idea of doing this. Never mind their "upgrade" cost for it.

I don't even think a builder of a sub division would entertain the idea of doing this. Never mind their "upgrade" cost for it.
I suspect he was building a one-off not a subdivision house.It's hard to get different colour kitchen cabinets in a subdivision house for $4000.

yup.

I have always bought a "used" house so I have never had the privilege of dealing with a builder but I have heard of stories.

However, a former neighbor across the street was a carpenter and framed houses for a living. He worked it out with the builder that he would frame his own house. They agreed. The site super told him that he didn't really care if and how much he changed his layout. As long as the outside of the house is untouched and the inside somewhat resembles the original floor plan.

I have a few things I thought I'd look into tackling.

But actually having to work from home plus trying to take care of 2 yr old is a lot harder than I anticipated.

We're drained after putting the kid to bed so no work on the house I guess.

I suspect he was building a one-off not a subdivision house.It's hard to get different colour kitchen cabinets in a subdivision house for $4000.
Yep. Built it myself. Out in the bush, across the road from my 75 acres so that I don't have to pay waterfront taxes, but I can see the lake through the trees on the other side of the road.

Back
Top Bottom