Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house? | Page 470 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house?

I had a cheapie natural gas tankless heaters for my hot tub. Not this one, but similar:

Install it near your gas meter on the outside of the house, no vent required. A black poly pipe to and from the pool will keep it as hot as your wife likes it.

Cheap and easy.
Wow. That is really cheap. That is an indoor only one though. I have been keeping my eyes open for an exterior one for a project. Most I have seen were an order of magnitude more.

Wow. That is really cheap. That is an indoor only one though. I have been keeping my eyes open for an exterior one for a project. Most I have seen were an order of magnitude more.
You won’t find natural gas outdoor, only propane.

There is nothing wrong with installing an indoor unit outside, the only difference is the vent configuration. On a gas unit all you need is an $3 elbow so rain doesn’t enter the stack.

Without a doubt that will heat it to any temperature he wants. Hell, between the sun and that running during the day on the weekends, my pool has gone from 47 to 67 in a week. Getting 240V to the heat pump will add some to the cost.

Don't you have lots of wood at the cottage mp? I can't remember mississaugas policy on wood burning. Lots of above ground pools are heated with an old radiator or loop of copper and a fire.

EDIT:

I can't remember what pool mp has now. That heater has a specific warning for soft sided pools due to low flow rate from the pumps. Make sure the pump has 20 gpm.
Hmm I run my pump at 800 rpm most of the time I bet it's not hitting 20 gpm never been an issue

Sent from the future

Hmm I run my pump at 800 rpm most of the time I bet it's not hitting 20 gpm never been an issue

Sent from the future
Wow. That's really low. I'd be shocked if you were anywhere near 20 gpm (but maybe you have a bigger impeller so run waterfalls and such). Most of the time mine is running at 1300 rpm/60 watts/>10 gpm. IIRC, 25 gpm on my pool is close to 700 watts on the pump. Now, my measurement isn't great as it is off a flowvis and at the bottom end of the scale it may not be accurate. Also, the asshats that installed the pool used 1.5" pipe because they are morons. Upgraded everything on the pad to 2" but it's not economically viable to do the buried long runs.

Anyway, heater is happy with 10 gpm. I checked temp rise on install and it was reasonable (<<10 degrees F).

@GreyGhost
What ever happened to your incoming power issues?
I may have missed the posts.

@GreyGhost
What ever happened to your incoming power issues?
I may have missed the posts.
Banging my head against the wall and replacing a lot of lightbulbs. I am supposed to monitor and call hydro emergency line every time I exceed 256 volts. wtf. I investigated logging options but didn't find an affordable option that I was satisfied with the data from. For a few grand, I could have something that sends hydro an email every time I exceed 256, but why am I paying a few grand for their issues? I don't have the time to dedicate to continuously monitoring. I have a UPS that is logging one leg hourly with 0.5V resolution (and I have no idea on accuracy). It has never showed less than 121 and most of the time is 124+

There is no way to retap my local transformer. I am kilometers away from the DS where they could retap but they don't want to. That means there are many many houses with higher voltage than me. 254.6 now.

EDIT:
255.6 at 00:15. Will probably keep climbing until 03:00 or so but I don't want to stay up all night taking measurements. If they come out and measure less than 256 (the HO employees I talked too weren't entirely clear on whether the line was at 255.5 or 256.0 as they hadn't seen this before), they make a note in the file and do nothing. I need HO to make an official measurement at >256. At that point, they are bound to act. Voltage fluctuates so even if I get a 256 with a calibrated meter that agrees with their calibrated meters, if they get <256, no action. Also, as it is HO, for them to take a measurement they pull the meter. That's slow and a pain in the ass (UPS in house start beeping which sucks in the middle of the night). It would be a lot faster to measure at the pad mount (probably but I'm not sure about the PPE/safety logistics as there is 13.8 kv in there (or maybe 27.6 I can't remember)).

Last edited:
I have a 10ft cast iron post in my yard that used to have a laundry line on it. I’d say it’s a 3” diameter post or thereabouts. It’s set in a big chunk of poured concrete and I think it’s about time to get rid of it and free up some garden space and get it out of my sightline.

So..how? I see cast iron is $320 a ton scrap price so this post is worth a few dollars I think. Not a massive amount but is it enough to put it on kijiji for free and have someone come and remove it and take it away? Probably not I’m guessing so that leaves me with a cut off disk and a bit of work to chop the thing up. Then I’m left with the big chunk of concrete. I may have to rent a jackhammer to break that up.

Thoughts?

I have a 10ft cast iron post in my yard that used to have a laundry line on it. I’d say it’s a 3” diameter post or thereabouts. It’s set in a big chunk of poured concrete and I think it’s about time to get rid of it and free up some garden space and get it out of my sightline.

So..how? I see cast iron is $320 a ton scrap price so this post is worth a few dollars I think. Not a massive amount but is it enough to put it on kijiji for free and have someone come and remove it and take it away? Probably not I’m guessing so that leaves me with a cut off disk and a bit of work to chop the thing up. Then I’m left with the big chunk of concrete. I may have to rent a jackhammer to break that up.

Thoughts?
Option #1 - post on Kijiji for free, but whoever comes must remove
Option #2 - cut off post, and on Kijiji for free. Then cover the concrete with earth and be done with it.
Option #3 - Same as #2, but get a concrete jackhammer, break it up, and toss it out

In our area, any metal I have I just leave by the front of the driveway and it's typically gone within 12-24hrs.

EDIT: Had an old aluminum frame, and some aluminum cart from the 80s at the cottage. Brought it home, left it at the front of the house yesterday at approx 1pm...it was gone by 9pm.

Thoughts?
A cast iron post 10' tall? That would surprise me unless you live in a victorian mansion. Cast iron doesn't love bending forces so steel would be a better choice. Is it a just a cast drain pipe set in concrete? Is it an old light post? It could be worth serious coin and well over scrap value.

Last edited:
A cast iron post 10' tall? That would surprise me unless you live in a victorian mansion. Cast iron doesn't love bending forces so steel would be a better choice. Is it a just a cast drain pipe set in concrete? Is it an old light post? It could be worth serious coin and well over scrap value.

I was guessing it’s cast from the finish, it seems a bit “pebbled”, it seems pretty solid. It’s maybe steel though.

I was guessing it’s cast from the finish, it seems a bit “pebbled”, it seems pretty solid. It’s maybe steel though.
Does it thunk or ring when you tap it with something metal? If it's just a plain 3" cylinder, it probably doesn't matter and it's just scrap. If it is more ornate, I would try to figure out if I could sell it.

Does it thunk or ring when you tap it with something metal? If it's just a plain 3" cylinder, it probably doesn't matter and it's just scrap. If it is more ornate, I would try to figure out if I could sell it.

It’s definitely not ornate but if anyone needs a solid post this size I’m guessing it would cost a pretty penny if bought new.

Replacing all the windows and doors and topping up the insulation in the attic this week. Then the 2nd evaluation from Energuy for the Greener homes rebates, we'll be lucky to see $2000.00 in rebates but always happy to claw back any money I can from our wonderful Government.

I'm cautiously optimistic that the repoint work (hopefully) solved our water leaking issue and I am sure it will help keep the house at a more stable temperature etc. I'm still shocked at how many places there was mortar separation from the bricks. Many you could slide a credit card in or worse!

We had our neighbors over last night, they've lived there and told us some stories of the neglect and abuse our house had suffered from pervious owners. So now seeing the extent of work we've had to do kind of makes sense.

A bag of cash in and still a few projects to go... While not a lemon or house is certainly lemon flavored in some areas... LOL

Replacing all the windows and doors and topping up the insulation in the attic this week. Then the 2nd evaluation from Energuy for the Greener homes rebates, we'll be lucky to see $2000.00 in rebates but always happy to claw back any money I can from our wonderful Government.

I'm cautiously optimistic that the repoint work (hopefully) solved our water leaking issue and I am sure it will help keep the house at a more stable temperature etc. I'm still shocked at how many places there was mortar separation from the bricks. Many you could slide a credit card in or worse!

We had our neighbors over last night, they've lived there and told us some stories of the neglect and abuse our house had suffered from pervious owners. So now seeing the extent of work we've had to do kind of makes sense.

A bag of cash in and still a few projects to go... While not a lemon or house is certainly lemon flavored in some areas... LOL
IF you are getting blown in insulation, makes sure they don't block soffits which allow the attic to breath.

IF you are getting blown in insulation, makes sure they don't block soffits which allow the attic to breath.
They are putting in a continuous baffle to keep soffits clear.
A very detailed estimate was provided. Also have additional roof vents installed.
This attic will breathe nicely.

Thoughts?
Post it up on Marketplace/Kijiji for free with removal required and I'm 95% sure someone will come do the bit of work to take it for scrap. I'd suggest monitoring them while they do it though (lawn chair and beer opportunity).

Is there a simple water heater for the above ground pool that anyone can recommend? I’ve got one of those 14ft round pools that I’d like to use but the water just never heats up as there’s only 3-4hrs of direct sunlight in my yard in a day…so wife wants me to toss the pool as it’s too cold to use for her or the kids.
The simplest solution is put the pool in the sunniest spot in the yard and use a bubble cover. That gets you at least five degrees and maybe 10 if your lucky (mainly by losing much less heat at night).

I wouldn't be spending thousands to heat what is likely a temporary pool. Mikes idea is a decent price but unless you pay a gas fitter a lot (and maybe an electrician too), insurance won't be very happy with you if there's a fire. If I had natural gas bbq line available and btu requirement of heater was low enough, I would consider mounting the heater to a board in the middle of the yard using the professionally installed gas connection. If the heater burns down, it's not a big deal as it's located in a place it can't spread.

A solar heater on a roof can add another five+ degrees but again costs a lot and is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

Back
Top Bottom