Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house? | Page 466 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house?

I thought you were done? Is this something new
Same. We have like 90% done. One wall needs to be finished. The stone on the bottom needs to be finished. And also need to pull the fence and clad the old shed.

Not a lot, but I took the week off to finish it off.

For the right person and lot they can be awesome. Like electric cars, you need to change your behaviour a bit but it can turn out better. Instead of letting your grass get long and then cutting it, they like taking little bites so they are cutting often and your lawn remains a constant length. No stripes possible with any that I have seen though.

My biggest issue with them is the cost and ease of theft. Most manufacturers advertise that the robot shuts down and is useless to the thief but they damn sure aren't bringing back your four figure toy. I havent seen a manufacturer that provides cheap or free replacements for stolen robots. Scuba's lot is ideal as there are few eyes to even know that he has a robot.
I had a couple of kick start robots, mine cut grass, raked leaves and shovelled snow.

Sadly they all were stolen by assorted universities and never returned.

Ugggh , KiTec . Most insurance companies give you a window of months to get it out or they won’t insure you anymore . I had 30days when we bought this house . Plumber was 7k and drywall guy was about 7k . It’s a 3 story house so lots to juggle . Took the plumber 1.5 days and the drywall guys took 8 days . About 70 acess holes chopped . I can say they did a mostly great job . Drywall guys were good , plumbers were ‘ok’ .

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com
I was worried about insurance but when I called TD to set it up they didn't even ask. I'm guessing by the age of the home they just assumed everything was copper. I'm gonna change it out anyways cause I don't want to worry about it.

Luckily this is only a bungalow so should be pretty easy to swap assuming the main valve off the street isn't passing.

I was worried about insurance but when I called TD to set it up they didn't even ask. I'm guessing by the age of the home they just assumed everything was copper. I'm gonna change it out anyways cause I don't want to worry about it.

Luckily this is only a bungalow so should be pretty easy to swap assuming the main valve off the street isn't passing.
If you only have the city shut off valve, I would install a second main valve. The chance of both failing at the same time is very very low.

If you only have the city shut off valve, I would install a second main valve. The chance of both failing at the same time is very very low.
There is a second shut off just downstream of the meter, which appears like it was added on ~20 years ago when the Kitec was added. Not sure if it works or if I'll have to replace it because the fitting is wrong

Your insurance may not ask , but never consider your covered . There is this disclosure thing in the insurance business , did know or should have known. I’m in a strip of 5 freehold townhomes , only one is still Kitec , he has had a serious leak and still didn’t swap it out . At 18yrs old , KiTec is a time bomb .

Fak…took off the last piece of siding from the wall before installing new insulation + siding and the plywood is rotted.

Rain of course started so guess I’m replacing some plywood tomorrow.

Better now than later when it inevitably leaks.

Your insurance may not ask , but never consider your covered . There is this disclosure thing in the insurance business , did know or should have known. I’m in a strip of 5 freehold townhomes , only one is still Kitec , he has had a serious leak and still didn’t swap it out . At 18yrs old , KiTec is a time bomb .

Yeah that's fair.

Insurance seemed to be far more concerned about the detached garage and if it was worth more than $50k. I was like it probably is, but let's call it $49k to be safe lol

True. I don't even know what a 22*24' insulated and heated shop is worth nowadays. I figured if it burns down the foundation would still be good and $49k would rebuild the walls and roof haha
If you do the work, that seems plausible. @Mad Mike seems to have a decent idea of current costs and @Scuba Steve has a recent quote for a new shop (although it is larger).

I know when I was getting insurance for my boat, house insurance could add a rider for the boat is it was less than 15 years old, less than 50 hp and less than 15K dollars. Once you have the rider, it can get older and remain in force. Who knows exactly how old their second hand boat is?

I've mention before that my soon-to-be new house has Kitec plumbing, and I'm planning on replacing it before moving in. This is the cold water header that will go in the utility room, and there is an identical hot water header. Also the black piece is a wall mount that I've designed and am 3D printing. Pretty excited to get all this installed.

SyuCmVK.jpg
IFH??

My guess is just home runs. Kitec used a manifold IIRC. Often pex is run with home runs as well. Helps with flow for multiple concurrent fixtures but also wastes a lot of water if you want hot water at multiple fixtures as each one has to do a line purge. If I was designing plumbing now, I would run a big line to each bathroom and manifold to fixtures in each bathroom.

Bell contractor replaced and buried the temp phone line last week and actually did a great job, so the wife and I ran the rest that was originally just hanging on the outside of our house and put across the garage ceiling. One project done, 1 million to go...

My guess is just home runs. Kitec used a manifold IIRC. Often pex is run with home runs as well. Helps with flow for multiple concurrent fixtures but also wastes a lot of water if you want hot water at multiple fixtures as each one has to do a line purge. If I was designing plumbing now, I would run a big line to each bathroom and manifold to fixtures in each bathroom.

Like GG said, home runs. The Kitec installed currently has two manifolds with 8 runs a piece. I don't imagine it was cheap when it was installed.

I like your idea of sending a 3/4" out to a manifold in each bathroom/kitchen, but I've already bought all the stuff to just replace the Kitec as is.

True. I don't even know what a 22*24' insulated and heated shop is worth nowadays. I figured if it burns down the foundation would still be good and $49k would rebuild the walls and roof haha
Pre Covid a friend was looking at a move but the new place they were looking at didn't have a garage. Building one was $60K, extra for power, heat etc.

Back
Top Bottom