Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house? | Page 358 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house?

Be careful using ‘cement board ‘ that is designed for bathrooms around fire . Some brands have foam bubbles in it to reduce wieght and mesh scrim that is also not fire retardant. You could use mega board , but it’s $160 for a 4x8 so a bit silly .

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com
Kerdi, Permnase, & Weidi type backer boards contain foam, but they are not suitable fireblocks. Lightweight cement boards use vermiculite and foaming agent that suds up to air entrain the cement in manufacturing. There is no residual foam, and vermiculite is fire-resistant.

I've never seen cement boards sold in Canada that are not fire rated (but I could be educated).

Last edited:
You've got some of the Tyvek on upside down. :)
Lucky he used screws to fasten the strapping... fixing the Tyvek would have been brutal if he had used ramset nails.

Lucky he used screws to fasten the strapping... fixing the Tyvek would have been brutal if he had used ramset nails.
Strapping into the block with Tapcons, then TYVEK, and then 3/8" plywood with 1.5" nails. Pain in the *** overall...but I screwed up anyway as I need to remove a 6" section in order to allow the flashing to go UNDER the TYVEK.

Was going so well I dropped the ball. Thankfully it's not too much work to cut it out and make a slit in the TYVEK to allow for proper water flow.

Dad thinks just putting the flashing on the strapping is OK...so I asked him 'what about the gaps in b/w the strapping?

He went home as we were both exhausted by that time.

Yes. I’m going to hand dig these 2 6x6 posts that I need to install but when it’s time to do the real deal…renting a hole digger.

Zero chance I’m doing 37 posts by hand.
For digging the ones by hand. Put a pruning blade in your sawzal. If you hit roots you can easily cut them out or you can also just use it to break up the soil at the bottom as you go down making the digging easier.

For digging the ones by hand. Put a pruning blade in your sawzal. If you hit roots you can easily cut them out or you can also just use it to break up the soil at the bottom as you go down making the digging easier.
Thanks. That's the plan for both the post holes, and also the ditch digging I'm mentally preparing myself for...

Already got the 52ft perforated pipe that has the sock on it, got a few bags of 3/4" gravel and got the ditch shovel...now just need the will to start as I need to start preparing for the new shed.

I don’t have a sawzall and you’ve just made me want one. I’ll tell my wife it isn’t my fault that I had to get one.
Fwiw, wired cuts far faster than cordless and ime milwaukee cuts about twice as fast as Dewalt. That may have changed with current generation but in the past the difference was dramatic.

Fwiw, wired cuts far faster than cordless and ime milwaukee cuts about twice as fast as Dewalt. That may have changed with current generation but in the past the difference was dramatic.
I have a corded Dewalt and a m18 cordless Milwaukee, take the Millis any time. Just make sure you get the man size battery, grinders and Sawzall chew batteries up in minutes when working hard.

I have a corded Dewalt and a m18 cordless Milwaukee, take the Millis any time. Just make sure you get the man size battery, grinders and Sawzall chew batteries up in minutes when working hard.
I have cordless Dewalt and milwaukee and corded milwaukee. For small jobs I'll use cordless but if I have a real job to do, the 15A corded is many times faster. It has a much longer stroke, bigger motor and orbits which makes a huge difference if you want something destroyed quickly.

The premium recipro saws also have an ocillating stroke and will cut twice as fast as a regular in/out blade. I have a big old Porter/Cable from before B-D bought them and ruined the brand , its a beast. But the single hand held Milwaukee cordless is my go to 90% of the time. I'm also maybe cutting off 5 fence posts or making some scrap deck boards fit into the bin. I think if I was taking a wall down it would be corded.
Cordless get better every year, committing to a battery platform ( when your buying tools you dont get paid to use) is a really hard decision.

I don’t have a sawzall and you’ve just made me want one. I’ll tell my wife it isn’t my fault that I had to get one.
It is definitely a wrong that needs to be righted.
As for corded or cordless, I have both and echo the comments above. My very old Makita corded is a beast, my Bosch cordless drains batteries pretty fast and does not cut as fast but at the same time it does not need a cord.... I recently cut up and split a cord of maple (fresh cut from our tree), a 4 amp hour battery got me about a wheelbarrow load of wood. I used the cordless because I was just going out and doing a few wheelbarrows at a time and it was quick set-up (electric chainsaw for the bigger pieces)

Key for cutting trees, roots etc. is the pruning blade.

Not worth $75 IMO.... only 2 for 4 degrees but that may be a big deal on certain days (and those are the days they likely will need to do it). Sure you can opt out of individual changes but still no thanks.
It's 2 to 4 Celsius. That is a huge swing. Especially if you were already trying and set near the top of your tolerance. Even 2 to 4 F is a huge swing in comfort.

Years ago just after we moved into the house we built a pergola. Set 4x4’s really well into concrete and made a nice solid frame. Even routed some decoration into the cross beams and supports but we ran out of cash when it came to the deck so we used fence boards instead of 2x6 lumber. That lasted surprisingly long since I had overengineered the floor supports anyway and doubled up on joist numbers. However, it’s done now and rotting out so replacement time. I don’t have a pick up and since I was replacing the 5ft boards with 10ft lumber for a single span I couldn’t get them in my SUV. So I got them delivered from Home Depot and was worried since I like to pick my own pieces out.

Ordered 28 pieces so 2 spares. So far I have 4 lengths I’m really not that happy with but a couple I’m being a bit fussy with some bad knots, the others have bad splits. I’m actually quite surprised at the quality as I expected more duds. These are fractionally wider than my old fence boards so I might be able to get away with one board less. $15 for a 2x6x10. Need to use a pry bar on a couple that have banana curves on them but nothing too severe. Hoping this will last another 15 years.

I was about to order some slides for the upcoming playhouse build when I found this 2yr old play set for a few hundred bucks so I grabbed it and set it up to use while I build the main house section then I’ll join them with a walkway. I also scored a 10’ plastic culvert that’ll be a crawl through between landings. Third platform between them will be the start of the zip line down to a lower tree (with small platform) 75’ away.
IMG_4602.jpeg
IMG_4603.jpeg

Not worth $75 IMO.... only 2 for 4 degrees but that may be a big deal on certain days (and those are the days they likely will need to do it). Sure you can opt out of individual changes but still no thanks.
I had it for a while, in my area the stat was programmable, but not wifi nor smart. I hauled it out a year later and put in a Nest, probably save way more than $57.

It looks like they want access to your NEST account for this one.

I had it for a while, in my area the stat was programmable, but not wifi nor smart. I hauled it out a year later and put in a Nest, probably save way more than $57.

It looks like they want access to your NEST account for this one.
My inlaws signed up for that stupid program. A box was installed on the 220V line to the A/C. City decides when your A/C doesn't work and you don't get a vote. The "benefit" to the homeowner was a poverty energy monitor (whole home load to an LCD with no logging, smarts, alarms, anything really). One time crappy gift in exchange for perpetual stupidity.

Poor sap down the street hired a cash contractor to grind dome big stumps out of his yard. The 2 illegals lost control of the stump grinder and it chewed off one guy's leg (bloody mess). Neighbours ins covered $1m, he was on the hook for $100k.
My roofer and I had a long discussion on the subject of illegals and liabilities. Apparently in the predawn hours some mall parking lots full of individuals looking for work, lunch packed and ready to hop in. Do you have any links to the event?

BTW the lady across the street has WSIB coverage on the care worker she hired to look after her mom five days a week.

Large condo townhouse complex of ugly 50 year old condos in Hamilton had to do water mains , it’s 40k per unit charge . Retirement folks on govt pensions managed to get a townhouse years ago , but can’t cover the 40k . Payments on a mortgage are $300 month , for ever . Or eat dinner .

Large condo townhouse complex of ugly 50 year old condos in Hamilton had to do water mains , it’s 40k per unit charge . Retirement folks on govt pensions managed to get a townhouse years ago , but can’t cover the 40k . Payments on a mortgage are $300 month , for ever . Or eat dinner .

Confo life!.

Did the board contract SNC-Lavelin to fo the work?

Sadly condo boards often attract people susceptible to corruption, I've seen quotes 3x on windows, roofs and garage doors get recommended by PMs and boards.

I took a big assessment sting recently when my condo board got benevolent and covered hurricane losses for residents without adequate hurricane insurance.

Back
Top Bottom