Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house? | Page 31 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house?

Hey all, I am re-drywalling a room. I've never thought of this before should I do the ceiling first then walls, or last? I have always done walls then ceiling. Or doesn't it matter?

Hey all, I am re-drywalling a room. I've never thought of this before should I do the ceiling first then walls, or last? I have always done walls then ceiling. Or doesn't it matter?

I have one of these if you want to borrow.
The drill makes drilling the drywall screws in much easier and faster.
Also have a router for cutting out holes for plugs/switches.

With just a room, there probably isn't enough plugs/switch to warrant the router use.

Let me know if you want to borrow.
1593051068777.png

With just a room, there probably isn't enough plugs/switch to warrant the router use.

View attachment 43757
Drywall drills are so great. I love mine. Makes life easy....and my brain hurts thinking about my undrywalled garage. Frak. Hopefully wife misses me so much she will forget all about the garage while I’m home.

FYI Mississauga is allowing dumping of garbage for free at their dump sites.

Drywall lift, screw gun, and a router make hanging board a breeze. Even if its one room they are worth busting out - takes all the frustration out of it.
No more balancing a 4x8 board on a ladder while simultaneously dropping the screw off the impact driver, only to realize you ****** up the measurement and your pot hole is 6" off. Just crank that thing up, screw it down, and zip the openings.

Thanks for the offer, but I'll stick with what I have been doing etc. It's the old fashion way, I guess, just a bit and screw it in. I can live with the frustration as I have been doing it this way a while now.. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Thanks for the offer, but I'll stick with what I have been doing etc. It's the old fashion way, I guess, just a bit and screw it in. I can live with the frustration as I have been doing it this way a while now.. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Are you at least using a dimpler? Super cheap and works surprisingly well.
19835347_L.jpg

if your doing a ceiling where the drywall is screwed to trusses dont screw within 12" or so of the wall joint so the joints dont all crack as the trusses move all winter, push up the wall panels to tighten the joint and support the ceiling. Subdivision guys dont do this and its why all the ceilings all crack.
renting a lift for the ceiling is the best $50 bucks you'll spend since you buy board long enough to go accross the room, 10-12ft board is easy to move on a lift and less joints = less mud= less dust.
And please install wall panels horizontal , again 12 ft room gets 2-4x12 ft wall panel , not 3-4x8ft panels. way faster, less sanding.

if your doing a ceiling where the drywall is screwed to trusses dont screw within 12" or so of the wall joint so the joints dont all crack as the trusses move all winter, push up the wall panels to tighten the joint and support the ceiling. Subdivision guys dont do this and its why all the ceilings all crack.
renting a lift for the ceiling is the best $50 bucks you'll spend since you buy board long enough to go accross the room, 10-12ft board is easy to move on a lift and less joints = less mud= less dust.
And please install wall panels horizontal , again 12 ft room gets 2-4x12 ft wall panel , not 3-4x8ft panels. way faster, less sanding.
The other upside to horizontal is if you have bad luck and end up with standing water, pull the bottom row off asap and you might get away without reboarding above.

I've always done the drywall vertical because typically I could get a full sheet in, but the horizontal makes sense...guess I'll try that with the garage once I get going.

Spent the last 2 days ripping off 50 year old drywall in the garage. I didn't know they made drywall in such small pieces! And they nailed them into the wood framing! 2 layers of drywall...plus a layer of cement / grout onto it...motherf'er...what a pain in the ass that was.

IMG_9564.jpg

Was hoping to start spray foam tomorrow but the previous owner left such a Mickey Mouse job of the framing for the ducting that I'll be tearing that off and replacing with new...it's held onto the drywall that I'm taking off the ceiling...not the actual joists. Ugh.

IMG_9562.jpg

What's best to use to frame the ducting? 2x4 or 2x2? Want something sturdy that will hold properly.

Also considering putting in wood verticals with carriage bolts to set up a storage space from the ceiling. May be better than hanging off the joists through the new drywall. But still not sure. Have about 12" of overhead space I can use...maybe 18" as the Odyssey is the reference for parking in the garage. Nothing else we buy will be taller.

Spent the last 2 days ripping off 50 year old drywall in the garage. I didn't know they made drywall in such small pieces! And they nailed them into the wood framing! 2 layers of drywall...plus a layer of cement / grout onto it...motherf'er...what a pain in the ass that was.

View attachment 43896

Was hoping to start spray foam tomorrow but the previous owner left such a Mickey Mouse job of the framing for the ducting that I'll be tearing that off and replacing with new...it's held onto the drywall that I'm taking off the ceiling...not the actual joists. Ugh.

View attachment 43897

What's best to use to frame the ducting? 2x4 or 2x2? Want something sturdy that will hold properly.

Also considering putting in wood verticals with carriage bolts to set up a storage space from the ceiling. May be better than hanging off the joists through the new drywall. But still not sure. Have about 12" of overhead space I can use...maybe 18" as the Odyssey is the reference for parking in the garage. Nothing else we buy will be taller.
So they had a fire break and then they put foam covered ductwork on the non-livable side? Awesome.

So they had a fire break and then they put foam covered ductwork on the non-livable side? Awesome.
Trust me...I curse the previous owner's name often...yesterday I found out that he had nothing but hard vent duct from the dryer to the outside. I'm sure it works great...until you need to move the dryer...which he put in and THEN built the frame / counter atop it...about 1/4" too low so you can't actually pull the washer/dryer out. Frak.

View attachment 43896

View attachment 43897

That wasn't actually drywall it is plaster with drywall lath trust me way better than if it had wire lath. They did it that way before someone realized you could just fill the cracks and paint it instead of plastering over the whole thing. That is some awesome insulation job going on there.

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk

That wasn't actually drywall it is plaster with drywall lath trust me way better than if it had wire lath. They did it that way before someone realized you could just fill the cracks and paint it instead of plastering over the whole thing. That is some awesome insulation job going on there.

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk
Ah ok....sure looked like drywall, and tasted it too before I put a respirator on. As for insulation...yes that's the reason this whole this was undertaken. Our floor above the garage was freezing, and the insulation consisted of paper with insulation material inside...about 30% of the space was not insulated. The insulation was 2" thick, and then 8" of empty space above.

I'm planning on using the kit from HD (A/B components) for a 1" base, and then throwing some Batt insulation underneath that. The cost of doing a 3" layer (approx) was close to $3800 from a company so I looked at other options. But before I get there I need to fix those duct 'supports'.

Back
Top Bottom