Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house? | Page 245 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house?

Always found when the roll on driveway coating fades you see the roller marks and makes it look ugly. The spray on at least fades evenly.

My driveway now is concrete and its the best. I don't think they've built a new house in my town in the last 20 years that had an asphalt driveway, everything here is concrete. Obviously there is a cost difference but to me its worth it.

Always found when the roll on driveway coating fades you see the roller marks and makes it look ugly. The spray on at least fades evenly.

My driveway now is concrete and its the best. I don't think they've built a new house in my town in the last 20 years that had an asphalt driveway, everything here is concrete. Obviously there is a cost difference but to me its worth it.
My concrete drive was $8K. Never regret getting it.

To get it right the base has to be 100% or you get cracks and settling. Asphalt bends and is forgiving so the base can be cheap and dirty.

I have this horrible bar top done with ceramic tile , poorly, we are taking it out and matching the granite counters . It’s 18” wide but 14’ long . Granite guy wants $2700 + hst to install if I get the tile top out. I don’t think it’s unreasonable, and I just hate this ceramic deal

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

I have this horrible bar top done with ceramic tile , poorly, we are taking it out and matching the granite counters . It’s 18” wide but 14’ long . Granite guy wants $2700 + hst to install if I get the tile top out. I don’t think it’s unreasonable, and I just hate this ceramic deal

Oh thank god. I saw the top and was cringing. Didnt want to say anything in case you had just put it in.

Are you going to put in heat or lights so the new counter is accepted in your postal code?

What happened to Larry & Moe?

Funny you should ask about "curly" , he was famous for his love of dogs, when the Stooges toured he woulkd often go to the local pound, borrow a dog and use it in the show and help get it adopted. My wife loves the guy.
The bigger oil painting to the left is my old Farr30 which we were racing when the Empire Sandy cruise ship went through the middle of our lake race course, we cleared her and the turning mark by about 12ft, my boat was 10ft wide. A local artist painted the picture from a press photo that was taken.

Back to the ugly ceramic top, its coming out , with all the ugly backsplash. New granite top will be the same valley white Indian granite as the rest of the tops and underlite of course. We discussed (argued) about having the cabinets painted. I personally find dark cabinets chipo and look aweful pretty quick, new handles for the cabinets will go on, the backsplash will be mable subway tile that pick up the grey/white of the granite. Cheap and cheerful to brighten the place up.

Flat roof saga: the guys turned up, worked like bees. Found rotted roof trusses…extra lumber, extra labour, extra opening of wallet. Things look good tonight, everything newly sheathed in fresh plywood ready for the rubber membrane tomorrow. Silver lining- weather looks great for optimum sealing/bonding of the membrane to the fresh wood. New 2x4s have shored up all the rotten stuff.

Apart from the extra cost (it’s just time and materials but I’m hoping it’s under 2k) this feels like a lot of relief right now. The edge of the roof was so rotten that the guy pulled off the soffits/plywood/end of truss with a rake. It could have collapsed!

Did this post on another forum and thought might be useful for the DIYers here/

This is an excellent free program for that kind planning
https://www.sweethome3d.com
We are contemplating a move and wanted to see if it was possible. It might work ...very early in the process

You can zoom around from any angle and then do a full 3d render with lighting and even sun position.

It's fun and easy to pick up. Comes with a decent library and there are lots of resources out there.
This was one I did a couple years ago when we were looking at kit homes.
It's accurate too.

Since a tally of costs might be useful for others the extra lumber work to shore up the rotten trusses was pretty reasonable at $1500. Since it’s all structural and they took a good few hours to deal with the issue that seems fine. What’s come as a shock is the cost for facia boards/facia capping/soffits/J trim and some window flashing then more trim and flashing around the walls on top of the flat roof. 65ft length for the facia/soffits etc, guess about another 25ft for the bottom wall trim work etc. $7k!!! Getting a written estimate tonight to see where all that’s going. Contractor estimates 2k for materials alone. 2.5 days 3 man crew.

Since a tally of costs might be useful for others the extra lumber work to shore up the rotten trusses was pretty reasonable at $1500. Since it’s all structural and they took a good few hours to deal with the issue that seems fine. What’s come as a shock is the cost for facia boards/facia capping/soffits/J trim and some window flashing then more trim and flashing around the walls on top of the flat roof. 65ft length for the facia/soffits etc, guess about another 25ft for the bottom wall trim work etc. $7k!!! Getting a written estimate tonight to see where all that’s going. Contractor estimates 2k for materials alone. 2.5 days 3 man crew.
How do you feel about aluminum? That seems mighty high for the facia/soffit.

How do you feel about aluminum? That seems mighty high for the facia/soffit.

Maybe some added info that might help with that estimate…the crew is available to do the job this weekend/next week, it is aluminum. Once they finish the roof guy can fit the final aluminum cap on the parapet around the perimeter. Got to say the actual roof job looks amazing.

Signed. 50% deposit paid. **** I hate being an adult sometimes,

Ok, another Q. My new flat roof looks spiffy but one drain seems to have about a 1/8 or 1/4” lip. Apparently not a lot could be done about that. The roof also isn’t properly sloped (couldn’t afford that) so I’m anticipating a bit of pooling on the roof after a heavy rain. I was thinking about looking to see where any low spot might be and setting up a simple siphon into the roof drains. I’ve seen a fancy dancy solar siphon pump in the US but that sucker is $700. What that does is sense rain and then starts up for a few minutes to initiate a siphon and then clears water down to a mm or so. I was thinking of getting a bottom suction weatherproof pump for <200 and having it on a wifi switch and then starting it for a few mins to prime and then letting the rest siphon through the pump through gravity. Would that work ok do you think? Not sure how to automate the process. I do have an old leak sensor for an aquarium but that requires weird computer inputs etc.

Could go low tech too and just run some tubing from the low spot on the roof down the drain and start a siphon manually with it somehow after heavy rain.

There’s also a chance that there’s no need to bother with any of this but I think I want to try to avoid pooling water where possible.

Ok, another Q. My new flat roof looks spiffy but one drain seems to have about a 1/8 or 1/4” lip. Apparently not a lot could be done about that. The roof also isn’t properly sloped (couldn’t afford that) so I’m anticipating a bit of pooling on the roof after a heavy rain. I was thinking about looking to see where any low spot might be and setting up a simple siphon into the roof drains. I’ve seen a fancy dancy solar siphon pump in the US but that sucker is $700. What that does is sense rain and then starts up for a few minutes to initiate a siphon and then clears water down to a mm or so. I was thinking of getting a bottom suction weatherproof pump for <200 and having it on a wifi switch and then starting it for a few mins to prime and then letting the rest siphon through the pump through gravity. Would that work ok do you think? Not sure how to automate the process. I do have an old leak sensor for an aquarium but that requires weird computer inputs etc.

Could go low tech too and just run some tubing from the low spot on the roof down the drain and start a siphon manually with it somehow after heavy rain.

There’s also a chance that there’s no need to bother with any of this but I think I want to try to avoid pooling water where possible.
How deep do you think this pool will be? Most pumps wont get much below the last inch yet alone with a siphon.

Really low tech would be a hose with a rock on it in the low spot through a scupper to near the ground where you can suck to start the siphon. Slightly better would have an inlet to the pipe to suck very close to the surface as a hose on its side will only draw down to approximately the od of the hose.

I have a solar birdbath pump, moves 180l/hrs. Has water sensor on the bottom so it only pumps when there is water. Suction cup feet, pumps down to about 3mm.

Not a commercial grade unit. it was $20 off amazon, been running constantly for 4 years.

How deep do you think this pool will be? Most pumps wont get much below the last inch yet alone with a siphon.

Really low tech would be a hose with a rock on it in the low spot through a scupper to near the ground where you can suck to start the siphon. Slightly better would have an inlet to the pipe to suck very close to the surface as a hose on its side will only draw down to approximately the od of the hose.
Even simpler would be a hose from the low spot into the downspout. When it rains, Bernoulli will do thee sucking to start the draining.

I have a solar birdbath pump, moves 180l/hrs. Has water sensor on the bottom so it only pumps when there is water. Suction cup feet, pumps down to about 3mm.

Not a commercial grade unit. it was $20 off amazon, been running constantly for 4 years.
Could work. If he attached it to a hose that ran down the building, siphon effect could help overcome friction in hose.

I'm not sure what issue we are trying to solve though. Aesthetic? Prevent algae? Worst case will probably be over the winter with freeze/thaw and no simple way to get the heavy puddle off ice off the roof.

Back
Top Bottom