Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house? | Page 222 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house?

Had two resident chippies behind the pool waterfall. Down to one now as one went for a dip and never made it back out.

Believe it or not, I witnessed an actual rat in a mulberry tree eating the fruit recently… then it fcuked off south along the top of the fence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking for recommendations on electricians in the Barrie / Wasaga Beach / Collingwood area.

Trying to put in 100A service at the cottage. The 60A service was really struggling when a window air conditioner was on. Damn lights were flickering.

Parents never got around to putting in a real air conditioner so it's a stupid tiny little window unit that does a garbage job of cooling off the cottage.

I'll ask my guy, but doubt he'll go up all that way for a simple panel install.
Some sanity checks before going for a new panel....
  • Are the lights that are flickering on the same circuit or are they on a different one?
  • If on the same check the screw fuse holder (assuming fuses as it is 60A) for corrosion, if it is clean it up. Could also be a bad connection in the circuit somewhere else.
  • You can also check voltage at the panel and at lights, better with an older analogue volt meter when the AC cycles on and off (as you will see the dial swing). Look for where or if it drops.
  • Mains (fuse) may even need to be cleaned up or the main shutoff, see where/if the voltage drops.
  • Is the cottage K&T or aluminum? New can of worms.
Lights dimming are due to a voltage drop when the current increases (either starting surge or just running). Some may be natural for long wire runs (loop resistance). The voltage drop is due to resistance in the circuit and just swapping the panel may not solve anything if the problem is downstream of the panel. It the voltage drop is due to a bad connection somewhere it will also be a hot spot and potential fire hazard. At the same time cleaning up a fuse holder or two may solve the problem for free.... or the bad connection at an outlet.

Some sanity checks before going for a new panel....
  • Are the lights that are flickering on the same circuit or are they on a different one?
  • If on the same check the screw fuse holder (assuming fuses as it is 60A) for corrosion, if it is clean it up. Could also be a bad connection in the circuit somewhere else.
  • You can also check voltage at the panel and at lights, better with an older analogue volt meter when the AC cycles on and off (as you will see the dial swing). Look for where or if it drops.
  • Mains (fuse) may even need to be cleaned up or the main shutoff, see where/if the voltage drops.
  • Is the cottage K&T or aluminum? New can of worms.
Lights dimming are due to a voltage drop when the current increases (either starting surge or just running). Some may be natural for long wire runs (loop resistance). The voltage drop is due to resistance in the circuit and just swapping the panel may not solve anything if the problem is downstream of the panel. It the voltage drop is due to a bad connection somewhere it will also be a hot spot and potential fire hazard. At the same time cleaning up a fuse holder or two may solve the problem for free.... or the bad connection at an outlet.
All good ideas. MP, if you want to borrow a good multimeter let me know and you can grab one on the way by. Did you check the panel when you had the thermal camera? It will quickly show dodgy connections.

The voltage at our current house is surprisingly high. ~127 on each leg and ~255 across. If I do everything I can to load house, I cant get down to 240. LED lights dimmed to minimum will go out when hair dryer is turned on on same circuit which isnt surprising. If they are turned up, no noticeable change.

All good ideas. MP, if you want to borrow a good multimeter let me know and you can grab one on the way by. Did you check the panel when you had the thermal camera? It will quickly show dodgy connections.

The voltage at our current house is surprisingly high. ~127 on each leg and ~255 across. If I do everything I can to load house, I cant get down to 240. LED lights dimmed to minimum will go out when hair dryer is turned on on same circuit which isnt surprising. If they are turned up, no noticeable change.
If memory serves me correctly the CSA defines 127+ as extreme service over voltage or something like that...

I am sitting at 124V/248V myself at the panel. Something like 110 to 125 is "normal".

If memory serves me correctly the CSA defines 127+ as extreme service over voltage or something like that...

I am sitting at 124V/248V myself at the panel. Something like 110 to 125 is "normal".
That's lovely. I have 126.4 and 126.2 now with most of the neighbours having A/C on. Our water pressure is up to 90 psi too. I don't know why they are shooting for the high end of all the ranges. Next time I have plumbing apart I have a regulator to go in and drop it to 60 psi (adjustable, I'll start there).

Just saved a chipmunk from my dogs paddling pool. He was doing laps while my dog was patting him and barking. Poor little bugger collapsed exhausted but after 15 mins he toddled off to live another day. Just bought a critter saver off Amazon. My wife doesn’t care for the chipmunks as one managed to get into the house once and was sitting on a shelf one day when she went to the bathroom. For the sake of my eardrums I went to get some traps and we got rid of a few from the house. I actually like them, they are a lot cuter than rats and seem pretty smart (apart from the pool). They also hoover up the stuff that the grackles throw all over the garden from the bird feeders.
I use something like this for chipmunks. Also will catch squirrels. Lately it's been about one a day. General PDP Template

That's lovely. I have 126.4 and 126.2 now with most of the neighbours having A/C on. Our water pressure is up to 90 psi too. I don't know why they are shooting for the high end of all the ranges. Next time I have plumbing apart I have a regulator to go in and drop it to 60 psi (adjustable, I'll start there).
On the voltage you may be near the transformer. In many cases they are running hot because they are undersized for the modern load for the secondary cables and they are trying to be high enough end of the line...

Water pressure IDK.

On the voltage you may be near the transformer. In many cases they are running hot because they are undersized for the modern load for the secondary cables and they are trying to be high enough end of the line...

Water pressure IDK.
Subdivision is ~15 years old so I hope appropriately sized cable. I am closest house to transformer.

OK GTAM…how do I fix my lawn from this weed back to grass….please don’t say tear it all up.

5872FB92-6387-4806-9D39-1A71994A4963.jpeg

OK GTAM…how do I fix my lawn from this weed back to grass….please don’t say tear it all up.
Killex. Cant buy it in Ontario but there are work arounds.

I stocked up on a few litres before it was banned here. This stuff is amazing. It will kill any non-grass thing and leave the grass alone. A litre should last you a couple of years years a small spot sprayer (empty Windex bottle). You only need about a tbl spoon of the stuff and the rest water in a spray bottle to get rid of it. Gone in a day or less

NOTE: It seems to kill grass seed but not established grass so dont reseed until you are sure everything you dont want is gone for good.

View attachment 56097

Pull out as much as you can by hand and then spray with Weed-b-gon. Keep at it until it’s all gone and then buy some decent grass seed and fill in the gaps. Most people don’t realize you need to water the grass seed each morning and night for about two weeks to get it to start growing properly.

Also, don’t cut your grass too short so it gets a deep root and crowd out the weeds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Killex. Cant buy it in Ontario but there are work arounds.

I stocked up on a few litres before it was banned here. This stuff is amazing. It will kill any non-grass thing and leave the grass alone. A litre should last you a couple of years years a small spot sprayer (empty Windex bottle). You only need about a tbl spoon of the stuff and the rest water in a spray bottle to get rid of it. Gone in a day or less

NOTE: It seems to kill grass seed but not established grass so dont reseed until you are sure everything you dont want is gone for good.
I think my daughter imported something similar from Manitoba. I need some as well.

I bought some sod from a sod farm today and the present situation hasn't missed them. They go through a lot of fuel and tarriffs have really bumped up fertilizer prices. They could use a bit more rain water as well.

View attachment 56097
The broad-leaf looks to be mostly creeping charlie. Broad-leaf specific herbicides that will kill it and not the grass are the solution if you want to get rid of it without hitting the reset button. The eco stuff that is legal/available in Ontario mostly uses iron which kills the foliage not the roots, this includes the stuff you can buy to use retail and Fiesta used by lawn care companies these days. It comes back but if you bomb immediately a few times as it does the roots will run out of energy and eventually die, just not a one and done process.

Other places still allow killers with 2,4-D which is da-bomb in this situation but it is banned in Ontario and pretty much east of here for lawns. It is not sold retail in Ontario and is illegal to use but it is not banned in Canada (at the federal level) scofflaws still acquire it (say Alberta) and get it mailed to them (concentrates) or go cross border. It causes the broad-leaf plants to grow out of control which actually kills them as they run out of gas and die. It has a specific "ester" smell to it BTW. It "was" usually one and done and takes a few days to a week when it was legal of course. It was half of agent orange/purple but generally not he very bad half and there is still lots of debate on how safe it is.... it "was" people/animal pretty safe IMHO if you keep it off you, don't go crazy and stay off the lawn for a few days...other debates about run-off etc. but it has a finite lifespan. Keep it off any garden plants you want to live BTW!

Other options are to not care or to kill it all and hit reset with a new lawn. Just keep in mind that although glyphosate (kills everything) is also illegal in Ontario for cosmetic purposes like this it can still be bought, they just keep it locked up (needed for things like poison ivy). Vinegar also works, get the cleaning stuff at 10%, this burns/kills the foliage so you have to keep at it until the roots run out of gas (it is a kill it all BTW, including grass).

Regardless of the chemical approach it is best dealt with when stuff is growing and not dormant. So not as good to tackle in hot summer days. Just after rain in the spring (or early fall) when there is a few days or more of sunshine afterwards works best. Just some random thoughts from a guy with a 99% weed free lawn...

Last edited:
Time to get the cottage cleaned up as parents are getting from the junk up there over 20 years accumulated….primarily my dads lol.

Volt tows well. Dads a few km behind.

69DE9D4D-EE23-4867-B117-B7626DF043FD.jpeg

Had two resident chippies behind the pool waterfall. Down to one now as one went for a dip and never made it back out....
That's me today, except I'm fishing for bunnies.

Making progress at the cottage…

218A7B17-81A8-4087-8216-3E194CB07D8C.jpeg

Came with dad to clean it out…

‘We’ll I might need this still’
‘You haven’t touched it in 10-15 years’
‘Ya…but I may need it. Let’s just organize better’

FML

Back
Top Bottom